Perfect Polly (the plastic parakeet for people who do not like "pet mess")

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by justusforus • Sep 21, 2013.

1. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    The first time I heard the William Tell Overature (or Lone Ranger theme) during a commercial break when I left the room, I quickly came back to see the product advertised was a plastic parakeet that sings, moves its tail and has a motion sensor. It is advertised as a "perfect pet" for people who don't like a mess or who otherwise cannot have a pet. At first I was shocked, saying how sad as a grandma and then a little girl were cooing and talking to the inanimate object perched on their finger. Oddly enough though (and after they said get two for the price of one just paying additional handling) I thought of a few people who might get a laugh and others who might enjoy it. To be honest I thought it would be fun to put one on my patio (especially with the motion sensor) to see how birds, my cat and guests reacted.

What do you think of this modern day "pet rock"?

2. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I watched that commercial also. I just can't see having one, but I suppose that it might work for a child that wants a pet, since they would not have to feed and care for it, but could enjoy it chirping and singing.
    I remember years ago, they had a little kitten that was the same kind of a thing, and had a motion sensor, so when you went close to it, the kitten would meow and look at you. I guess it would be ok if you lived somewhere and could not have a real pet, it would at least look at act somewhat like a real pet did.
    I imagine that there will be people who discover they have a new parakeet at Christmas.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To me, the point of a pet is taking care of something that is alive. If I lived in a place that didn't allow pets, I'd rather have a real Betta fish or goldfish than a fake plastic parakeet.
    A fish is not my ideal pet, but I do like them well enough and they're easy to hide because they don't make noise.

4. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    Really I had to think it is not for people who really want a pet...even though they imply the actors on the commercial act like it is real. I thought it would be a novelty, like the dancing Santas. PLEASE no one should give this to a child for a "pet"... a toy maybe, but really I can't see anyone blurring the lines for a child like that.