Why is it that there are so many bad reviews about As Seen n TV products?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by darelle4 • Sep 23, 2013.

1. darelle4

darelle4Member

Threads:
    I have been getting bad reviews about As seen on tv products and I am wondering if these products aren't working as it is suppose to why do they still advertise and all over the media.

2. bonniea

bonnieaMember

Threads:
    I know that each time I see something that I think might be really cool, when I check the reviews they are terrible. So I end up not buying it. I think they want you to get excited about the hype of the infomercial and then buy it without checking the reviews. I wanted to get the flex hose and when I read the reviews they were bad. Then I talked with my aunt and she had bought one and said it leaked within a few days. Yet now I see them everywhere. Makes you wonder if consumers are so caught up in the marketing that they are willing to tolerate a product that does not work. I do wish the company would do a better job of inspecting the products they promote.

3. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think some seen as tv products can be really good to where others where really bad. I don't think all seen on tv things are bad like the pillow pets are pretty cool love them. But the other things like products that get rid of scrathes on cars those don't tend to work very well.

4. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I feel like I have had both good luck and both bad luck when it comes to things seen on tv.
    Some of the things we all have that hut instinct where we feel its the perfect invention while the others are just confusing and unecessary for our life. Therefor I feel like the unless scary products get such praise that we start giving them the overall attention and mood for the as seen on tv commercials.

5. DealHunter1

DealHunter1Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure, but I've heard of it going both ways. They either really love what they got or really dislike it. I've noticed that blankets and items that don't do anything are usually okay as far as reviews. It's the stuff that people need for actual reasons, other than just because they want it, is when things tend to go wrong. I wonder about the ones that sound like an absolutely great and amazing deal. How can you have a deal that good without having to cut some ends?

LOVE & DEALS
    DH :cool:

6. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I find that it tends to vary greatly.

Sometimes they are promoting these products from the television because obviously they are trying to make more sales but mainly because it could be a product that is performing poor so they are trying to give it an extra boost. If a product is under-performing, the best way to get more attention is to talk about how it's on television where millions of people see it. It does seem like a bit of a marketing ploy where users become brainwashed by everything they see and hear though.

In truth, I believe it sways more towards the positive side. Generally, a product being advertised on the TV is the best of it's range and is a strong performer in its industry.

7. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Probably because the vast majority of the products shown on TV are rubbish. My mum looks at these channels and she has purchased a few items over the years, it is all rubbish and it is eventually thrown away. She once bought a 'special' tin opener which somehow managed to break up on the first use, it was literally useless.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The infomercials make the products look really amazing. It would be hard for any products to live up to those demonstrations in real life.

9. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Well, not all reviewers are good at giving reviews, but quite a lot of the "As Seen On TV" products are just cheap items made from cheap materials that don't work very well. When those items are not flimsy I think people still have very unreal expectations for them. I've read some of those reviews where people describe what they did with a product and what happened as a result and I always think "Well, duh! You weren't supposed to use it that way!"

10. sdjaxson

sdjaxsonActive Member

Threads:
    Not all products I have tried form As Seen on TV are bad. I have had good experiences and bad. I guess it just depends!

11. mccanono

mccanonoMember

Threads:
    Because you don't really get to try and test the product. You can just rely on the people you see on TV using the product. And if in case the product fails to satisfy your expectations, you'll be among those consumers with bad experience.

12. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I think it is a mixed bag depending on what you get. Those expandable hoses...great. Some of the "miracle" cleaners and restorers...so so. I think you have to be suspect though when something is marketed a little too hard or if they say "but wait" and offer you two for one. Check the reviews on the individual product.

13. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with this quote. I notice, especially on Amazon, that many of the "As Seen on TV" products have received terrible reviews. I believe before these products are placed on an infomercial, there should be some inspection done to ensure that the quality is of a high standard. This will prevent infomercial products from getting bad reputation within the marketplace.

I agree. I have noticed, especially on Amazon, that the "As Seen on TV" products get the some of the worst reviews. I sometimes wonder too if they do the necessary in

I gre

14. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    I think its because people forget that like all gadgets you still need to master how to use it. It looks really easy but for the most part you still need to learn the technique before you can operate it flawlessly. Another reason could be that people forget that everyone is unique. There is not one solution to the myriad conditions we all have as individuals. An acne remedy may work for most but not for all. Lastly I think the show really does a great job of promoting the product. Because our expectations are hyped we tend to judge too harshly.

15. mitchelltune

mitchelltuneNew Member

Threads:
    Maybe because they got the fake one.. There are lots of fake as seen on tv product on the market right now. arggh.

16. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    Well for one thing, there are a lot of bad products. Bad products mean bad ratings. That history of bad products make people feel that every As Seen On TV product is garbage. At the end of the day, the best products usually get decent reviews. That is how I found the Fasta Pasta maker on Amazon. It had decent reviews and I needed it for college, so I went for it. It turned out great!

17. numbers

numbersNew Member

Threads:
    I have a friend who buys these things pretty religiously (and even gives them as gifts). They're generally cheap and made poorly, although that's not the thing that makes me hate the majority of them (some are good, of course).

The reason I dislike most "As Seen on TV" products, and the reason I think that most of these things get bad reviews is that most of these things are just poorly conceived single-use products. They are made to serve a single need, but think about all the kitchen appliances you realistically use. You have maybe a toaster or toaster over, a food processor, a crock pot, if you're really lucky a pressure cooker (Anyone know a good place to find one of these on the cheap? I'm in the market.). You'll also have some pots and pans. But do you really think about single use tools all that much? They generally sit in your kitchen wasting space and they're not terribly useful ten out of twelve months of the year.

And if you're like me you'll occasionally leave something dirty until you use it again. Not always, just occasionally. And it always seems to be one of those annoyingly hard to clean "As Seen on TV" kitchen utensils.

18. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    My thought is... if they were REALLY great products, they would have been able to make it mainstream in the stores. Most of the items are products that some person thought up, but none of us really NEEDS to make life any more functional or easy. They are typically cheapily made...

19. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    Some are good, some are bad. The As Seen on Tv products seem to be over-advertised, so people get their hopes up more.

20. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    The reason their are so many horrible reviews on these products. Is simply because most of them are horrible and don't perform as advertise. These tv ads are there to simply sell you a product. The product will never live up the hype that they present because most of them are average at best.