Gelato vs. Regular Ice Cream

Discussion in Food & Drink started by SierraW23 • Sep 27, 2013.

1. SierraW23

SierraW23New Member

Threads:
    What is the difference between gelato and regular ice cream? I have never even attempted to try gelato. I heard that gelato is better for you, but I don't exactly know why. I love ice cream, but it contains high amount of sugar and can be fattening. If there is a better option than I'm willing to try it.

2. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I think the main difference between these varieties is in production mode. The gelato is completely handmade, and is produced daily in small amounts. The ice cream, meanwhile, is manufactured in large volumes to make it more affordable in the transfer process and cooling. The second difference is the amount of air that each contains. The traditional ice cream may contain a minimum of 40% to 100% of the air volume. Without air, the ice cream is more creamy. Gelato may not contain air at all or more than 10% of its volume, so that its consistency isn't only more creamy, silky to the palate, it is necessary to serve a higher temperature so that their qualities are perceived. For these and other reasons, the gelato offers a more authentic taste experience. :)

3. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I personally have never tried gelato but I have heard a lot of good things. My sister prefers gelato over regular ice cream. She says it's a lot better tasting than ice cream and it's better for you than regular. And it isn't as fattening or have as much sugar. I have been wanting to try it but i'm just not to sure if I will like it.

4. Jaxter

JaxterNew Member

Threads:
    I go to this Gelato place here in Toronto and fell in love with it the first day I tried it. There are just so many different and unique flavours of gelato compared to ice cream that it makes you coming back for more. I've heard from many of my friends that if you want to eat the best gelato you have to go to Italy and try some. Everyone I know who has come back from Italy has eaten gelato there and raves about it saying it's the best thing they've had!

5. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    I was also under the impression that gelato was more decadent than regular icecream. I've had it a couple of times and it tasted way more creamy than regular icecream. There were also more calories per serving. I've had pistachio, brown sugar pecan and strawberry gelato; every flavor was amazing.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've tried gelato, but personally I would prefer ice cream a lot more. As far as lower fat or calories, that might be true, but I doubt it's by much. If you're looking for something that has a better chance of being significantly less fattening, I'd opt for some frozen yogurt. I substitute it for ice cream all the time, and I don't feel like I'm giving up too much when I do. I have to admit I've never really researched it, because I don't really eat ice cream or yogurt that much anyway, but just from taste alone I can tell it's much lighter and a lot less sweeter but yet it's incredibly refreshing especially after a heavy meal.

7. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    Bloomatic has given a good tutorial on the differences in production. I agree that gelato does seem to have more exotic flavors but it is generally pricier, but there are a few exceptions and particularly if you stay away from stores in malls or strip centers where there is higher rent. At one time I thought gelato would be a fad, but it looks like it is here (in the US) to stay and prosper.

8. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Gelatto has more cream and so is a smoother product, whereas ice cream has less cream and is a "rougher" product. Gelatto tends to be thicker and to actually taste sweeter and it is also much more expensive on the average than traditional ice cream. However, I do love it dearly.

9. whatupswags

whatupswagsMember

Threads:
    I don't think the appeal of gelato is for health reasons, unless you are opting for their sorbet flavors (fruity usually, not cream-based). I have eaten true Italian gelato and I go to Italy JUST to have it! There are Italian gelato shops all over Europe, so it's easy to come by here! The reason I love gelato more than regular ice cream is because of the density of flavor. Some of the best gelato I've ever had was actually in San Francisco; they made a chocolate-covered strawberry flavor that I haven't seen anywhere else and was absolutely perfect!