How many people follow the "no white after labor day" rule?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by yellowbird • Oct 2, 2013.

1. yellowbird

yellowbirdMember

Threads:
    I have some white clothes and I don't want to just buy new ones for the fall season. Tell me, do you always follow this fashion "rule"?

2. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to when it comes to things like white skirts, white dresses, or white pants (which I don't wear often anyway).

I'll still wear white tops and khaki's all year though.

I know they say that this is one fashion trend that really isn't so strict anymore, but something in me feels like white outfits should be reserved for summer months. Weirdly, I live in NC, and today it is about 88 degrees out, so it still feels like summer, and I actually feel out of place putting on flip flops because it is October. I'd never survive in Hawaii.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't follow the no white after Labor Day. I live in Southern California and it's mostly sunny. It really doesn't make sense to wear winter clothes or even seasonal clothing.

Plus, isn't there a color called "winter white"? That sort of breaks the Labor Day rule.

4. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never even heard of this fashion rules but I am English and we don't have Labor Day.

Could someone explain what this is about?

With regards to white clothing, I don't wear many white garments. In fact, the only white clothing I have in my wardrobe are T-shirts. I'm not really a fan of white because it gets dirty.

5. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I don't even think I've ever heard of this rule. This is just one of those things that I probably just put aside in my brain. I personally just wear whatever I want whenever I want to. I never pay attention to rules and especially when it comes to fashion where anything goes.

6. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have always heard this since I was younger. People use to always tell me how you aren't suppose to wear white after labor day but me personally I have never followed this. Even though I have always heard this I never knew why or what reason to not where white after labor day.

7. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I am european, so i never heard about that rule before, even thought i am aware of what the labor day represents. Maybe it's such a common thing that is almost never spoken about.

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    White clothing is associated with summer. Labor Day is the unofficial end of summer. Therefore, no white after Labor Day.

9. whatupswags

whatupswagsMember

Threads:
    White is a classic color no matter what time of the year. I think with the recent trends in bright color splashes have gone against the traditions anyway, so wear white whenever you want! If it still bothers you to wear a bright white in the middle of November, you can always opt for a beige or ivory tone, and accessorize with blacks or browns to create a darker accent to the outfit. I have an biege colored sweater dress that I wear during every holiday season with appropriate black accents, and it's always a hit! Rules - especially fashion rules - were meant to be broken.