What is your current internet speed and what are you currently paying for it?

Discussion in Internet Broadband Access started by Inconsitency • Oct 24, 2013.

1. Inconsitency

InconsitencyNew Member

Threads:
    As the title states, what is your current internet speed and what are you currently paying for it? I'm currently paying about $50 for 13.18Mbps download and 2.28Mbps upload, with an extremely low data cap of 10GB a month. Is it worth it? Absolutely not, but I'm stuck in a monopoly, and any other internet service provider's service is unavailable (the ports are said to be full).

2. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know. I'm not sure this is unreasonable.

I don't know what we have at the house, but at my husband's office, he pays $70 a month for 10 and 1. 10 mbps download and 1 mbps upload. This is a business line, on which he is the only user, so this never fluctuates (like with "peak" hours or whatever).

I think we have a similar speed as you here at our house, and yeah, we pay $45 a month. It isn't a monopoly, but it is Time Warner, and it is the cheapest option we have. We share bandwidth with our neighbors, so it can be faster or slower depending on peak times. We only notice it in our Netflix buffering at night though.

3. dswashin

dswashinNew Member

Threads:
    My current internet speed is 1.5 Mbps for downloads and 256 Kbps for uploads. I pay about $25.00 a month for my service through AT&T and this doesn't seem unreasonable to me but I could be wrong. I enjoy my service with AT&T haven't had any problems with it unlike when I had Time Warner service I was always calling because it was always some problem; my internet was not working most of the time and my bill increased almost every month.

4. sbg101

sbg101New Member

Threads:
    We have a two year contract for FIOS that is for internet only, no TV or phone. I just checked with speedtest.net and those results are 58.38Mbps download, 33.47Mbps upload. That is costing us $80 a month. For most of the 13+ years we've been married, we had cable and were for the most part quite happy with it except for one thing, the upload speed was capped at 756Kbps which is absolutely ridiculous for attempting to transfer anything more than plain text. After several years, the cable company finally increased the upload speed, but by that time fiber optics had been put in our neighborhood and we never looked back.

5. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I have 50mb line which gets about 40mb download at the best of times. Pay about £20 a month.

6. UshaBecker

UshaBeckerMember

Threads:
    I have a speed of 8 mbps till 15 gb. post that it is 512 kbps.

7. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My internet speed is supposed to be up to 20MB but in reality it is closer to 1 or 2 MB. I think I pay about 10 dollars per month for my internet but it comes in a package with my satellite TV and the phone. Unfortunately I'm far from the local exchange so my internet will always be rubbish.

8. MizzDeeDee

MizzDeeDeeMember

Threads:
    I have Verizon. I pay about $50.00 for DSL and the home phone. It's not a bad deal, and it's DSL. For this area, which is very rural, DSL is a big deal. I don't have a cap, as far as I know. I don't like the monopoly that Verizon has around here, but I don't have much of a choice, either. Overall, it's not a bad deal. Especially considering that before this we had 3G internet. Not enjoyable at all.

9. Banister

BanisterMember

Threads:
    I always hear guys say that their internet speed is 4.5 MBs but due to this I always doubt my internet speed…1.5MBs compared to 4.5Mbs and the costs may not differ much means a lot. I always prefer my modem rather than our college internet speed its usually very boring and sometimes tiresome. I always do not love it to download certain substances in more than an hour very disgusting.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm using only a prepaid broadband internet connection, and I pay only $8 per month, since I avail of the mobile plan, but it can also be used when you insert it in your USB modem, so I get to save a lot. So the maximum speed mainly depends on the type of USB modem that you're using, mine is up to 7.2 mbps, but I usually only get around 2 mbps.

11. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    I pay about $12 for my DSL internet and phone service . I am not in the United States. But I have DL rates of 0.5 Mbps and upload rates of about the same.

12. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    Mine is 10 mbps but sometimes it gets up to 12, without a data cap, for $65 including basic home phone. We only have 2 big providers in my area and the prices are very similar to each other.

13. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    2.55 Mbps download here for about $30 per month with 50 GB allotment. I'm using Wi-Fi at the very maximum range, though, so I'm assuming speeds are far higher than 2.55 Mbps. I think we get 10 Mbps or higher when connected by hard line, so I'm not complaining about such great speeds when using an Ethernet cable. I just don't have that option in this corner of the house.

14. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    What do you mean 50 GB allotment. Download quota ? Download + upload quota ? They have ethernet cables of all different kinds of lengths . I have one that is 8 feet long. I assume you don't download much and that 2.55 Mbps is more than enough. If I got 4x my speed with a hard line though I'd def. use it. I have ridiculously slow DSL.