AT&T are screwing the crud out of their customers

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by JoanMcWench • Oct 25, 2013.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I really feel like AT&T are screwing the crud out of their customers. They seem to not need to be a competitive member of the phone community because so many people are contractually obliged to participate. I feel like that is a short sighted answer to a binocular style problem.

The question:

Is AT&T a good company to get your phone services through? If not, what is a better one? If so, why is this the case?

2. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    AT&T sometimes is quite expensive because it can charge people a lot without any reason. I, for instance, was with AT&T for about three years before I decided to make the switch. I remember one time my bill was $650 for two lines, which was ridiculous because I didn't even go over my internet usage. AT&T used to offer unlimited internet usage back in the day, which it was impossible that I went over the internet usage. I talked with 4 different customer representatives about my bill, which none of them was useless. They still had to charge me that account because they said I text a lot, which I only text 3 times in one month. Later, they found out the computer system went wrong and refunded me back the money, which was $580. I kept calling AT&T for two weeks until the problem finally got fixed, which took them too long for that to happen.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They all screw you in some way..

4. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    In many ways, if you look at any phone provider, they all have their positives and negatives. It could be that since you have AT&T service you are more prone to notice their flaws. When I was with Sprint I would complain all of the time and it seemed like every other provider had something better to offer. Now that I've had AT&T, Sprint, and now T Mobile, I'm convinced that they all have their benefits and downfalls.

5. Kevin128672

Kevin128672Member

Threads:
    I honestly think that T-mobile would be the best. Their plans are probably one of the cheaper plans, and are the only providers that allow unlimited data. They do throttle after a certain threshold, but after that, there is no limit. The only downside of T-mobile is that their network infrastructure isn't as advanced as the other providers. If you live in an area where you'll get great service, then I would definitely recommend trying it. Another cool thing about T-mobile, is the fact that they have pre-paid plans, that are cheap and affordable.

6. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    We are with T Mobile now on the family rate. And the prices beat the living daylights out of AT@T. The service as in area covered was best with AT@T honestly. But it was not worth the price. I find it 'funny' that I complained about my smart phone, trying to get off that web coverage plan, and they said it could not be done, no way no how because it's a smart phone and that's the way they ALL come.

Well, I ended up leaving AT@T for our family's T Mobile plan. THEN right after that, THEY showed up talking about no contracts, all this and that with a family plan. So they did learn a bit from the other guys and drop their contract thing. That said, they are still more expensive. NO WAY are they worth it!

We will NEVER have another contract phone anyway.

Yes, they probably all have advantages and disadvantages. But that is where we stand personally now.

With land lines, AT@T was screwing us over with 'regular' charges. Nothing extra. So we got rid of them for VOIP, Vonage.

7. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a bummer that AT&T does not have unlimited data and they're a little more expensive than say Boost sounds like but their plan is ok and their customer service seems okay to me. I guess they don't bother me because one I haven't had the need for customer service much and I'd much rather have them than T-Mobile.

8. 7zer0z

7zer0zBanned

Threads:
    I would probably be with AT&T if they offered unlimited data. From what I've heard from others, they have really good service and have good deals. But I want unlimited data and thats why I'm with Sprint which I absolutely hate because of the terrible reception I get from them.

9. Emeline

EmelineNew Member

Threads:
    I was with AT&T for years and realized I was paying way to much for phone service that I barely used. I went to Straight Talk for home $15 a month and I'm happy with it. I have a basic Tracphone - yes I'm old fashioned about carrying a cell phone everywhere - I only use it when I need it so my minutes last a really long time. lol I still use AT&T for internet though that' my only option in my area. $41 a month and I still way down on what I used to pay for phone service and internet together which was over $100 a month then.

I will agree if ATT ever makes a mistakes plan on spending some time on the phone if you want your money back. I think they hope you will get frustrated and give up and let it go. Not me, I'll sit all day if they owe me money back.

10. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I personally like AT&T because of their coverage but I hate their prices. When I was with AT&T, my husband and I had the family share plan which was not suppose to be over $100. They informed us that our first bill would be high because of the activation fees and some other fees, but when our second bill came in it was higher then the first. We only had our phones for about three months and our bill jumped up to almost two thousand dollars. We was never late for any payment and we never went over our data usage because they charged and extra $15 for every GB that we went over. I honestly think that they are screwing over their customers because there are some hidden fees that they do not tell you about. You will not find out until you get your bill in.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am with T-Mobile now, and I'm generally pleased for the most part. But after a few months now in hindsight, I've realized that their deal isn't really all that incredible, only marginally better than what you are getting from the other providers.

- Even though they are no-contract, many of their customers are still going to be getting into a payment plan for the phones themselves. So you are still on the hook to pay off that phone anyhow, which is the same length as a contract. The whole 2 year contract thing was redundant since the user is on the hook for the phone to begin with. With T-Mobile you are simply just avoiding termination fees if you leave them. But you are still stuck with a T-Mobile branded phone if you originally got yours from them.

- I've mentioned this before, their supposed Unlimited Data is false advertising IMO. Never do they mention that it's dial-up speed, which is useless. I realized it was going to slower after I used up my 4G data, but I assumed that meant I would be dropping down to 3G, not dial-up speeds. The only real benefit to this, is you aren't automatically being fined when you go over. They simply slow your internet to a halt until you give in and voluntarily upgrade your plan - which by the way you need to cancel for the following month if you don't want that going forward.

- Their Data in some ways is slaying Verizon (my previous carrier), but it does drop off in some areas that Verizon didn't. I look at it this way, what really matters is where I spend 95% of my time, as long as that's covered then I am fine. I have no plans to travel to some remote location in Utah or Idaho any time soon. I live in Cleveland which is saturated with T-Mobile coverage, it's their highest signal strength available on their coverage map. My download speeds on my phone average over 26mb/second, whereas when I was on Verizon I was lucky if they were anywhere near 1mb/second and about 50% of the time I had no data connection at all or it would keep dropping while I was using Google Navigation or something important. Verizon may have more overall coverage but their signals are much weaker than T-Mobiles in my experience. The only weird thing with T-Mobile though is when you do hit one of their outage areas, it's like a sharp line between getting coverage or not getting any coverage at all - there is almost never just slower coverage. It's either super fast or non existent.