Has anyone house sit to save money on travel?

Discussion in Travel started by jodiann12 • Oct 27, 2013.

1. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    I just recently learned of this new way to save money on traveling while browsing the web. I think that house sitting is an interesting concept, which allows you to take care of someone's home while they're away, and you get free accommodation in the process. You can even get the chance to use a car. Some sites that you can sign up to do this are House Carers, Mind My House, and Luxury House Sitting. So has anyone tried this before?

2. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    This sounds definitely fun and adventurous. I suggest a thorough background check first though before jumping to it because you'll never know what waits for you there.

3. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I've definitely heard of it but never done it. Sounds risky on both ends, but I can see where if it worked, it could easily be a very cool idea. Thanks for the websites. I'm interested in checking this out.

(I'm not sure why someone would have a stranger "house sit" over having a stranger pay rent for a week, but that's just me.)

4. whatupswags

whatupswagsMember

Threads:
    There are actual travel bloggers who will go for years on end living by house sitting. I think it is going to keep catching on as a great long term travel option. I think the reason the house owners prefer to not charge rent to the house sitters is because there are usually responsibilities for the house sitters to take care of during their stay. Typically, there are pets, but sometimes the owners just want someone to collect their mail and show that the house is occupied for some peace of mind. With the websites, your profile creation is thorough, and the owners have a choice whether to take you on as a sitter or not. Usually both parties will have spoken in advance, and that helps everyone arrive at a solution for the situation. I think it's a great idea, and hope to take advantage of it in the future!

5. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    Difrancprod, I think that it is recommended to do a background check of the owners, and those individuals have to do a background check on you, too. Well, that's based on what I understood while reading some info on those websites. Some of them require that you provide references.

#5Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  6. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, you're right, Whatupswag. You're given the opportunity to meet and talk with the owners, and your profile creation has to be very thorough. The owners have the choice to accept or reject your application.

Yes, you're right Whatupswags. You're given the opportunity to meet the owners of the house

7. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I would not be very comfortable doing this. I would be afraid something would happen to the house under my care. Who would be responsible if there was storm damage, burglary, vandalism, or even worse, a fire. I would prefer renting a condo or getting a timeshare. I think there could be too much at stake. Plus, I wouldn't want a stranger being able to go through and use my personal belongings. It raises too many red flags and what ifs for me to even consider this program.

8. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never tried this. But I have always thought about it. I had a friend who use to do it it's an easy way to make some money so I have been thinking about it just didn't know where to start. I will def try out these sites.

9. jcairns82

jcairns82Member

Threads:
    I haven't done any of those sites; however, I've used Helpx.net. This site matches you with hosts that are looking for assistance around the house. It can range from working on the garden, painting, helping with the kids, etc. Those are all much more work than I like to do on a vacation, so I'll usually just check out the 'home stays' options. Essentially, these are one's where an individual may just want to meet somebody or do a language exchange or needs a bit of help around the house. You stay with them for at least a week and up to much longer and completely free.

10. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharliActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried this before, but I've heard of it. I wonder what's the process to become a house sitter -- I'm sure you have to go through a lengthy background check, etc.

11. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I've never done this before. But I have looked into it. There are several sites for it but I don't know which ones are legit and which ones really work. I see several sites on here, suggested by all of you. I'm going to take a look at them. I even looked into doing this in France. I saw an ad for it. But I was scared because what if when I get there it isn't legit or something goes wrong.

12. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    I have never heard this before this strategy is one of the best and having worth in it may be in next time I also use these tips and save money during the trip..