Using Paypal in restaurants and bars

Discussion in Payment Methods started by BrianWolfe • Nov 18, 2013.

1. BrianWolfe

BrianWolfeMember

Threads:
    I heard that Paypal recently has a new app called Tabbedout that allows users to pay for food and drinks at restaurants and bars. The system sounds pretty cool, you can now just go to a bar or restaurant without any cash or credit cards and pay with your smart phone!

I think it will be matter of time before PayPal apps start popping up all over the place and we can even use it to pay when we go grocery shopping.

2. Dolson910

Dolson910Member

Threads:
    I am not quite sure how I feel about this. I thought the whole point to Paypal was being able to make online purchases using a bank account instead of a credit card. I love Paypal for this very reason. There have been many times that I have not actually purchased from a website because the site did not offer Paypal. I just don't get why you would want to use an app to pay at a restaurant. The allure of paying with your smartphone just isn't there for me. So I don't need cash to pay my tab? So what? It is not as if I will leave my house with no money or no credit cards just because I can pay using my smartphone. What happens if your phone is stolen, lost or damaged? It is an interesting concept, I am just question how it solves any real issues.

3. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Eh, I don't know. I would be scared that when I go drinking, I'll just keep ordering more and more and won't know when to stop, because I wouldn't be limited by what I have in my wallet.. no, thanks. :D

4. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    I would rather just pop out my PayPal card and pay with that. If I am drunk then I would end up just giving my phone away to some random guy at the bar. These apps are pretty cool but just aren't needed unless you are too lazy to pull out your card.

5. MegaZero

MegaZeroNew Member

Threads:
    That would be sick. Honestly, I HATE carrying around my wallet because of thieves and what not so having only to bring a mobile phone or tablet would be a HUGE plus for me. Hopefully in the near future it the restaurants industry will change because this idea has tons of potential!

6. Thrix

ThrixMember

Threads:
    I had no idea this exists. Sounds really great. I'm a big fan of technological advancements and I consider this to be one as well. PayPal is getting bigger and bigger, spreading across many platforms. Hopefully it will have an influence on their business.

7. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

That is crazy! I didn't know about this until now I think it's cool and think every where should be like that. I know Dollar general started taking paypal but I haven't tried it and not sure how it works but am curious to try it.

8. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I have seen on my PayPal app that there are plenty of companies located around me who accept PayPal as a form of payment, but I have yet to try them out as they are business that are of no interest to me.

9. amy005

amy005Active Member

Threads:
    I think its a good idea because you won't have to worry about someone having access to your credit card info. That's why a lot of people use it now. So that they don't have to give out their cc or debit card online. But, people can try getting your info anywhere, not just online. So I see how this could be beneficial.

10. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think we have this in our country, sadly. Or at least, I've yet to see an establishment here that accepts PayPal (...let alone, even knows of PayPal. Yes, it's that bad. It would be great, though. I mean, I know there's the option of withdrawing money, but it takes 2-5 days for me to get my money. It'd be really helpful on emergency situations.

11. XDetTigers420X

XDetTigers420XNew Member

Threads:
    I've never heard about this app. but it sounds like it would be a good thing. I actually use my PayPal debit card so I can make purchases anywhere I want with me PayPal account. It's a great thing because 75% of my income comes from online. I love PayPal but I've heard of a lot of people getting screwed out of their funds as well.

12. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I would love that option. I'm still one of those people that will not tip on my credit card because cash is a safer option in my head. I cannot see how this is something they're not capable of. The only thing I see being a problem might be the business having to cut PayPal in on the deal.

13. costin

costinActive Member

Threads:
    How I wish to see it on the restaurants of my country, but here some of them don`t even accept your credit card as payment method, so a Paypal app will be a SF thing. Probably during the next five years, I will be able to use the advantage of the new payment revolution;)

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Right, you can pretty much use your Paypal funds anywhere if you have the Paypal debit card, so I don't think a new Paypal app is necessary.
    It's weird to me that some people still worry about which sites and businesses take Paypal when the Paypal Mastercard works at all the sites.

15. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    Why is what i would ask?

What are you going to gain by doing this? Other creating more business for Paypal. This seems absolutely to me. I have never had any any problems with paying for my food at a restaurant with my credit card.

Paypal is manipulating people to use their services where it is not needed. Paypal is a horrible company, and i refuse to let them profit off of me.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are some people who make most of their money online and are paid through Paypal, like eBay sellers. If you sold something on eBay and want to go have a meal, this app allows you to use the money in your Paypal account instead of your offline money. I can see the point but I won't use it because I have the Paypal business debit card.

17. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I have not used the paypal version of this but I have used the square version. Once you link your account and use your card once at a restaurant or bar it saves it. When you visit again you can approve the charge from your phone without swiping your card again. It's pretty nifty.

Smart phone transactions are definitely going to be more common in the future. Several businesses in my area only use square for their card payments now.

18. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't think this is any different than people who use credit cards, though. They open a tab, hand over a card, and they aren't limited.

So in my mind, it doesn't surprise me any that PayPal is moving over into offline transactions, too. They've had a debit card available for this purpose for many years already. This is really taking it back *online* if you think about it, because now it's an app instead of a card option even.

19. vennybunny

vennybunnyMember

Threads:
    This is great! I really don't like having to pay transaction fees to transfer my Paypal balance to be able to buy things. Being able to buy things directly, and without extra fees, would definitely increase my Paypal use. :)

20. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    most of what I get paid goes to pay pal then I transfer the money to a card. I haven't seem anywhere yet that takes paypal, but I would love it if they did. I could just leave my money in paypal and go out to eat or something. I can imagen in the future you colud just buy whatever you wanted through pay pal. It would just be another form of payment. A lot of people are moving toward working online and pay pal is where all there money is going anyway.