How far would you travel for a great deal?

Discussion in Travel started by True2marie • Dec 1, 2013.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    One of the funniest things Oprah Winfrey said about her BFF Gail was that she will travel miles for a deal, which nullifies the amount she is saving.

How far are you willing to travel for a deal?

In my case, I stick to my local area in order to save gas.

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't travel for deals at all. I don't think anything could be THAT great a deal to justify the gas and time. Nor do I need anything that badly lol. Deals are no big deal (har har), the money saved will just go to something else anyway, so unless it's a ginormous savings, I just don't care. I don't even remember the last time I went out of my way to save money unless it was a constant savings anyway.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It would depend on the deal. If the item were hard to find and the price was low enough, I'd strongly consider it. Otherwise, if the item is easy to find or I'll just end up saving too little for the effort, I'd gladly just pay more for the item.

4. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

I don't travel far for deals because ends up coming to be the same or more if you just stick with the local because of the amount of gas you waste to get to the deal. So i stick to my local deals.

5. downloadsincomplete

downloadsincompleteMember

Threads:
    It really depends on the item, how much the savings are, and the cost of travel.

If it's savings at a big box chain retailer, it's probably not worth the gas to drive around town. However, if you're looking at expensive jewelry it might be worth it. Many people travel to the Diamond District in New York City to get good deals on diamonds for significant savings. Many times people plan purchases around their big trips, so it's not exactly like they spent the money to travel just to purchase a product...they got a vacation anyways and buying something at a good deal was just an added bonus.

6. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    It has to be a real awesome deal for me to travel far. But if not, I'll just really stay in the local spots.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I am making bulk purchases and could obtain a better deal that would demand traveling a little further afield, I'd only do it if:

i) The total cost [gas inclusive] would be less than what I'd spend at the local store.
    ii) The quality of the products I'll obtain elsewhere is higher than what's on offer at the local store.
    iii) I like the store owner. . .

8. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I won't travel anywhere for a deal. 95% of the time, you can always find the same, if not a better deal online from the comfort of your sofa :p

As you said, travelling to get a good deal just nullifies the fact you are actually getting a good deal.

9. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I personally don't like to travel just for the deals because it is waste of time and gas. One thing though, I would travel to buy the items that I really want so bad.

10. brutal37138

brutal37138Member

Threads:
    Ha, this reminded me of a guy I use to know that claimed to drive to the next town for cheaper gas prices! I never could get him to understand he was saving - NOTHING! I don't travel for deals, generally I try to avoid advertising and specials all together. It's easier to avoid these things, that way I don't feel lured in to buy products I don't need. I try to stick to the basics and not buy anything in excess, if I have enough of something, I don't want to buy more of it, just because its on sale.

11. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    I think if you travel on a deal then you cannot enjoy the travel you are bound with in the deal that's why I can not use deal with the travel because its off color for me and I also suggest to you that do not use travel deal...