Taking Vitamins

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by thelovelyone0 • Dec 1, 2013.

1. thelovelyone0

thelovelyone0Banned

Threads:
    When I first started my weight loss journey in the year of 2011, I thought that I would intake vitamins daily. Little did I know, I was already consuming vitamins and the essential nutrients during my daily food intake - along with my weight loss journey, I commenced to eat healthier. Taking vitamins while eating healthy foods caused me to have heart palpitations. Every time I would take them my heart would beat extremely fast. Once I discontinued using them, I didn't have heart palpitations.

Subsequently, I would only take vitamins when I know that I haven't eating properly or consumed enough vitamins that day. If you want to start taking vitamins, it is imperative that you keep track of your vitamin intake as it may have an effect on your health. There IS a such thing as overdosing on vitamins. I am glad that I ended being okay but I no longer take them. I prefer eating nutritious foods than to take a pill everyday.

Just be very cautious.

2. downloadsincomplete

downloadsincompleteMember

Threads:
    The medical community has repeatedly said that taking multi-vitamin supplements has no added health benefits. It's a common saying that all vitamins do is make you have expensive urine. And this is true because if you take these vitamins, you will notice it will be a bright yellow color. That is all the extra vitamins that you took in the form of a pill that the body is getting rid of. Your body an only absorb so much at a given point in time. Anything extra is just considered waste and is flushed out through the body then into the urine. Sometimes on its way out these vitamins will end up someplace they're not supposed to and cause problems.

As long are you are eating a balanced diet, there is no need for a vitamin supplement. Now, if you have been diagnosed with some sort of deficiency, these supplements are needed. If you have anemia or osteoporosis, an iron supplement or calcium will be helpful. Much more of those will be absorbed and it won't be wasted.

3. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I have a series of vitamins and minerals I take as a diabetic. They help me maintain energy and reduce my glucose levels.

However, I did seek the advice of a licensed nutritionist before picking a brand. She felt they would aid me and my health.

So, I do think that the jury is still out as to whether or not vitamins and minerals are effective.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd be more careful simply because they aren't regulated as they should be. You have no idea what's actually in there and they don't have to prove anything to the FDA other than you won't drop dead immediately after taking them lol. You could have had palpitations for any number of reasons and I wouldn't necessarily blame it on "too much" because many aren't exactly what they say they are and their sources aren't always what you think.

5. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    I am not a diabetic, but just like you, I notice an increase in my energy level with certain vitamins. While I do agree that getting our vitamins from foods is the best option, vitamin supplements are not completely useless. We just have to do research and choose the right ones. But as it was already stated, we do need to ensure we aren't overdosing.

6. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    To watch what you eat is definitely better than taking pills to lose weight or to stay fit. It's safer and much healthier. Never consider crash dieting because that one could actually be a killer. I know people who would do that then drink pills with it. That's just a real bad idea. Taking your vitamins is also definitely a good thing to do while trying to be in shape.

7. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharliActive Member

Threads:
    I believe this to be accurate. I myself take 1 multi-vitamin a day to get the proper vitamins/nutrients each day and then a biotin vitamin for hair, skin, and nails. You're right, you can overdose on vitamins and certain health issues affect the intake of vitamins (i.e. pregnancy). Just like with water --- there is a such thing as drinking too much of it. xo

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The last time I took vitamins was when I was a kid. Nowadays I don't take them anymore, but I agree that you can overdose on vitamins because too much of anything can be a bad thing. I get by without taking any vitamins, so I don't think that it's a must to take it.