Disney's Frozen - "Disney's Jump To The 21st Century"

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by razelia • Dec 8, 2013.

1. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    Disney-Frozen-Poster-2013.

I'm sure by now people have at least seen this movie once. Frozen is Disney's loose adaptation of Hans Christian Andersen's "The Snow Queen." It takes place in the Norwegian-inspired country of Arrendale and tells the story of two sisters: Elsa, the older sister with powers over ice that she's hidden from everyone, and Anna, the perky younger sister who's oblivious to her powers.

What sets this movie apart from Disney's previous films is its modernity - the story not only feels like it's taken a lot of modern references from this generation's youth, it also repeatedly takes jabs at Disney's own previous film formulas, such as their typical "love at first sight" and "true love's kiss" formulas. Though the score in my opinion is a bit... just there, Idina Menzel's rendition of Let It Go is quite possibly the most memorable Disney anthem in years.

This movie isn't just for Disney fans - everyone will truly love this gem of a movie. I personally hope it wins Best Animated Feature in the Academy Awards this year. It definitely deserves it.

2. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The movie was superb! I just saw it a while ago with my girl. At first, I didn't think that it was anything special. I have never seen any of its trailers and its poster looked pretty boring to me. But lo and behold, once the movie started, Frozen's melody struck me immediately. I knew that we were in for a treat. I wouldn't say that it was Disney's jump to the 21st century though. I would say that it was Disney jumping back in time and awakening the Disney of old. It was a great old fashioned animated musical coated with great visuals and more superb music. It's the perfect family movie this December, one that would make you feel good and set you up for the mood of Christmas. :D

3. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    I'm waiting to see this movie till my girlfriend and I can watch it together in a couple weeks. I really can't wait to see it, the trailers look amaing. However I pretty much know the entire plot and all the twists in it because of people posting them on all the sites I frequent.

4. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    When I saw Frozen, it brought me back to when Disney-movies were AMAZING---Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, to some degree-The Little Mermaid & -The Lion King! ... possibly Fantasia & a buncha other Disney-movies that came out before I-was born or -started watching movies.

5. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I waited a full year to watch it just because I thought it was for kids and probably way overrated! Turns out, it really wasn't, it was a delight. Made me laugh and made me ponder, my bf also loved it! It's also really forward thinking with girl power, not just "girl is awesome" à la Mulan, but just... girl can save herself. Girl does not need a man. But she chooses one, in the case of Anna. It's awesome!

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a beautiful film with a modern touch. One of my all-time favorites, I have to say. Rather than work on a plot whereby a typical princess ends up kissed by prince charming as a display of true love, Frozen's take on true love has familial considerations and zooms in on the love between sisters. It's also a refreshing take on having powers. While you see heroes and heroines revel in their powers, Elsa treats her own powers like a curse because of what it accidentally did to Anna.

7. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    That's kind of a good thing & kind of a bad thing. A man NEEDS to be needed; a lot of 'the reason I'm not employed' (aside from 'being socially-wrong due to my brain-injury' :eek: ) is 'because my income is not a NEEDED supply of a household'---I receive barely-enough for my needs, and lack the desire for more.

You might recall that that 'typical true-love's kiss' is actually turned on its head: I don't remember if that 'evil prince' tries & his kiss doesn't work, or if the good guy tries & HIS kiss doesn't work; but I think the 'act of true love' they end up with is one of the sisters giving-up her life for the other!