Do you ever download software for free online?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by True2marie • Dec 9, 2013.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    To save money, I have downloaded software for free online. The problem - you could be exposing your computer to a virus. Do you ever do this? If so, what sites do you prefer? My favorite site is

2. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I've done this several times. And each time, I'm worried about what will happen to my computer. So, I do my best to find as safe as possible free-downloads. I prefer to get free downloads from the original site, software maker. And if I can't, I like using C-net too. But because I'm really worried about viruses, I keep this type of downloading to a minimum.

3. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I do however I am very alert on the secuity of my machine so have never had any issues. If you know where your downloading from and take proper precautions then you won't have an issue.

Common sense plays quite a large part in this
    - Don't download from random websites
    - Check the credibility of website
    - Have AV installed

4. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    Most of the programs on my computer are freeware, it just takes a bit of common sense as people have said, don't download from untrustworthy websites, check the comments for a download, don't download anything that doesn't already have lots of downloads on it, scan the downloaded file before installing it and don't agree to install any third party software when it asks you to.

5. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    I have downloaded free programs online but I make it a point to download them only from reliable sources. There is no point in downloading spyware ridden programs that can steal your data or money. I always scan the files for viruses, spywares and trojans before running them and run them in an isolated environment by using programs like Sandboxie.

6. wwalford

wwalfordNew Member

Threads:
    I have done it. If you download, download from reliable sources. I must admit I don't download illegal products which might help. I download open source software. If you downloading Torrents or from other illegal sites you are asking for issues . Lately the latest way to down load is supposedly through binary files via chat services. Not sure how true it is but supposedly safer then other files. Saying this browsing can give you viruses if you go to the wrong sites. Best idea is to keep an up to date antivirus program running all the time.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Anyone can do with free software. There are lots of clean shareware/freeware online.

Initially I preferred getting open-source software from screenforge but ever since the site ownership changed and claims of adware being bundled in the software you downloaded from the site surfaced I get my stuff from softpedia these days. A program I got off C-Net at one time infected my PC with a virus [key-logger] and from that time, I don't trust any C-Net downloads.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Good thing that you mentioned that, I've always thought that the downloads from CNET were always safe, I wonder how that got past them? Maybe they don't screen the downloads after all? Anyway, I usually just get my freeware downloads in the software manufacturer's site or I go to

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Yes, I use mostly freeware, and I suspect most people also use a few free programs on their computers. For example, Winrar is widely used, and it's always been free with an option to register it for a nominal fee. There's also VLC which I know a lot of people use too, and that is free as well. In fact, I rarely hear people paying for their video players, if at all. I've always been a little boggled as to how these companies are able to sustain themselves and continue to update their software into better versions, but I'm sure glad they give it out for free.

10. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I do too. I mostly look for freewares online like from CNET and downloads.com. Freewares might have less features but I'm not too tech savvy so mostly they'll do the job for me. If you're talking about downloading "online" then yes I do too when I can't find it anywhere else or it's too pricey. Look for those that have many hits, check the comments and you shouldn't have to worry about malwares too much.

11. RedNeckJiuJitsu

RedNeckJiuJitsuNew Member

Threads:
    As others have said, a little research and caution can save a lot of trouble, because there are tons of good free software in most categories. While it's obviously easier to find the pay stuff, it's not that hard to get good, safe free programs. Anti-virus and anti-spyware/malware programs are a must, though.

12. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Some of the old torrent sites still work and I do still download from there. Most of the time linux operating system and some software that are ridiculously pricey but never work like what you expect.

13. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharliActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah I use to. But like you said, you could be exposing your computer to viruses. These days, I will find one of my computer tech/geek friends to download software at a discounted price. I've used CNET before as well. But my main option was to download a torrent of the software via utorrent.

14. charahome

charahomeMember

Threads:
    I refuse to do it anymore, after installing software that ate my hard drive. Unfortunately, I came across that and ended up costing more than the software I was downloading. Lesson learned for me. Freebies are expensive.

I do without or purchase it.

15. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I have done this a lot to be honest and I have never had any detrimental viruses to my system. I use microsoft security essentials and that for me is the best antivirus so far and it is for free. Ever since i got it i have not had any virus issues with my PC.

16. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yup. I've downloaded loads of free software online. I download from CNET, torrent sites, and many others. My first laptop was infected by a lot of viruses because of these downloads and I had to reformat it twice. My netbook has also been infected by viruses, but so far, I haven't reformatted it yet. My HP Notebook is somehow standing strong. I have not found a single virus in it yet despite lots of software downloads from torrent sites.

17. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    If it's a trust worthy program, than sure. I recently downloaded CCcleaner, it's been recommended to be by friends, so I know it's safe. I also downloaded Foobar, a music player (software doesn't have to mean anti-virus software). I can't imagine having to pay for some things, especially things like music players.

18. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I used to download endless game trials, and other various freeware from a trusted site that unfortunately doesn't exist anymore. CNET is generally very good, but I have had one or two viruses from there in the past. I've no doubt that they do check vigorously though, it's just sometimes stuff slips through the net.

19. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use several trial versions or free software because I can't afford the real deal, it's just the way it is. For example software to decompress files like 7Zip, WinZip or WinRar or a Statistics software used at my school that is called IBM PAWS Statistics, you can actually install it as many times as you can, you activate the trial period for one month and when it expires you just do that again, not bad at all! :)

20. broknkyboard

broknkyboardMember

Threads:
    Safety comes before necessity. I usually look into the product(s) before I download it/them. If I can't verify it I just stay away, but nine times out of ten I end up with a perfectly fine piece of software that gets the job done.