Is Dying Your Hair Bad For You?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by hummingbirdee • Apr 25, 2012.

1. hummingbirdee

hummingbirdeeMember

Threads:
    I have heard many bad things about dying your hair. The chemicals in the dyes are supposed to cause health problems. I know it is not recommended for pregnant women. Do you think it is true? Even though I have heard these things, it does not stop me from dying my hair. I guess that vanity wins in this situation, at least for me.

2. stefano13

stefano13Member

Threads:
    Dying hair is not so dangerous as people think but we have several precautions that use very good product. For a pregnant woman during the first three months it is better not to dye your hair: it is a particularly sensitive time when feta organs are formed and the chemical substances contained in products in dyeing, especially ammonia, may reach the fetus throughout the scalp. The risk is not really high but it is natural that when we talk about the prevention of infant health is never enough.

3. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    The chemicals in hair dyes are very harmful to inhale. That's why people who work in hair salons are at a greater risk of developing cancer. Fortunately, there are all-natural hair dyes, but many people don't use them. I have no desire to dye my hair because I don't want to strip my hair of its natural oils and ruin its natural texture and color. Hair dyes can really destroy your hair if used improperly.

4. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    I have heard so many times that dying your hair is bad for you and for your hair. I do agree that it is bad for you. I still dye my hair even though I believe that it is bad for you. My hair started turning gray when I was just 16 years old. I started dying my hair when I was that young. If I didn't dye my hair, it would be so gray by now. I can't go without dying my hair every 5-6 weeks. it looks terrible and makes me feel older. I will continue dying my hair even though it is unhealthy and even though it is expensive to do it every 5-6 weeks.

5. katniss

katnissActive Member

Threads:
    Well I rarely colour my hair and have no grey at all and my Mom started colouring her hair at a young age and is now almost completely grey.

Wait.. turning grey early is the reason why she started colouring her hair so young and this is the first thing I thought of when I read about this thread.

6. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I think the chemicals in the hair dye drys your hair out. I've never dyed my hair before, and I don't plan to do so. Women are more likely to dye their hair, and that's understandable. You should be fine if you don't over do it, maybe once every couple of months. I've seen some women and their hair looks so dry and brittle. I assumed it got that way from dying it, and putting perms in their hair.

7. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Yes, many of the hair dyes out there are bad for you. Your skin is an organ and what you place on it (your scalp too)...gets absorbed. Many of these dyes contain really dodgy ingredients...but many of the brand names are aware that and have adapted their products.

So, now you will see that it is ammonia free etc...You also get fully organic ones with no inorganic chemicals in them. It is a bit more but it is worthwhile.

8. Ainjell

AinjellMember

Threads:
    Hello hummingbirdee,

I am a hairstylist. Dying your hair is not necessarily "bad" for you or your hair if you know how to take care of it. What most women do not realize is that maintenance is key when it comes to beauty. Whether it's your hair, your skin or your body, upkeep is one of the most important factors. If you perm your hair, color it or otherwise process it, it is imperative that you have it maintained regularly. Slacking off could have some unsavory results (i.e breakage, dulling and loss of hair). Usually, most people are too busy to maintain their hairstyles and processes but their hair suffers in the meantime.

When I say maintain your style, I mean things like deep conditioning it which replaces lost nourishment during the process and coats the hair to keep it protected from the elements (i.e. the sun and the smog in the air). When you get your hair dyed (whether it's at a salon or in the comfort of your own home) it always comes with a conditioner. Sometimes the conditioner is a leave-in formula and other times it's just a regular conditioner. Regardless of the type, conditioner is one of the key ways to keep your color looking shiny and fresh. The reason most colors dull out before their time is essentially due to frequent washing and not enough maintenance. So, if you're going to have your hair colored, be sure you are ready to commit to washing and conditioning at least once a week. Different hair type call for different types of maintenance so be sure to discuss with your hair-care professional the type of hair you have and what the best method is to ensure it's health and strength.

Another key element in upkeep is in the type of shampoos and conditioners we use. Dish liquid is NOT shampoo. I've seen a lot of women (and some men) use dish liquid on their hair when they can't find anything else. That is meant to remove dirt and grime out of dishes, not your hair. Shampoo and conditioner were invented specifically to cleanse and protect the hair without damaging it. Dish liquid and body wash were not manufactured for that purpose. Also, when choosing a shampoo and conditioner it is recommended that you choose a set (products of the same line). For example, if you use Head & Shoulders shampoo, it is not wise to use Mane & Tail conditioner because they were not formulated to work together. If you use Herbal Essence shampoo, get the Herbal Essence conditioner as well. If you cannot afford both (things are expensive these days) there is a way to make your own conditioner at home. All you need to do is mix mayonnaise (plain mayo is fine, not miracle whip) eggs and a little bit of Vitamin E oil together (you can Google it and get a better recipe with accurate measurements LoL). You place that on your hair and leave it to work for at least 15 minutes before washing it out and styling your hair as usual.

Another key element to maintaining your hair is to follow the directions for whatever you are buying. Using products against the directed procedure can have catastrophic results. You wouldn't want to go from having long, flowing hair to none at all, would you? Of course not. I see a lot of people buy something and just start using it without even taking the time to read the label. It may say for you to only use a dime-sized amount. If you've used a handful, it could have adverse affects.

So, processing your hair only breaks down the chemical makeup of your hair. It does not damage it. What causes your hair to become damaged is lack of upkeep. The key to keeping your hair healthy even after a process is to maintain it regularly by either A)going to see a hair-care professional or B)doing it on your own at home. Keep this in mind and you'll be fine.

::From The Lips Of An Ainjell::

9. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    Dying your hair does damage it without a doubt. If dyed hair requires more upkeep than hair that is natural, then you've damaged it. Plain and simple.

Beyond that, did you know that you can develop an allergic reaction to hair dyes and bleaches without ever having had one before? The last time I dyed my hair, I tried to go lighter and this isn't even with a dye that contained bleach. It was just color that was a couple shades lighter than my dark brown. I wound up with blisters all over my scalp that would actually pop. It was disgusting.

Add in the damage that you do to your lungs by inhaling it and you can be pretty confident that it's not healthy. There are natural ways to tint or lighten your hair. Coffee can be used as a toner, believe it or not. Lemon juice is good for lightening it in the sun. Of course, this won't do much for you if you're wanting a dramatic change or full coverage.

I was dyeing my hair until I had the reaction to it. I started going gray right at the top of my forehead when I was 22. I'm 29 now and have my first official gray streak. I decided that I'd just let my body do what it was gonna do.

10. brittanytruskosky

brittanytruskoskyMember

Threads:
    I don't think it is neccessarily bad for your hair if you do it the correct way. I think getting it proffessionally done and keeping it maintained help's a lot. There's nothing wrong with wanting to have a different color than the one you were born with. I haven't dyed my hair in quite a while but I also like my natural haircolor. Do what makes you happy and just try to take care of your hair. Chemicals aren't the best for your hair but I also think that the products are a lot better than they used to be.

11. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    I have been hearing this since before I started coloring my hair eleven years ago. Even when I was pregnant i colored my hair, though it was only due to a wedding.

I would imagine the chemicals are most hazardous for people who work with them everyday. Otherwise, you are really having minimal exposure to the chemicals.

12. pizzaz007

pizzaz007New Member

Threads:
    I am at 29 and have no need to dye my hair. I have black beautiful hair. I have seen many people dying hairs got many allergic problems. If you dye it with low quality oil or something else may it became your habit to do it again and again. I think original is original and dying produce very problems.

13. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    Sure, it is bad but it doesn't stop anyone from doing it. I've dyed my hair twice in my lifetime and I maintained it by visiting the hair salon regularly. So far, my hair has stayed soft and shiny. My natural curls are just as healthy as ever, which is the perhaps, the only thing about my hair that I would not do anything to. I will never straighten my hair, but I'll definitely dye it again :D

14. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    I have beautiful long Auburn hair. Its shiny and bouncy and people come up to me and touch it all the time. It comes out of a bottle. lol I have dyed my hair since it went grey in my twentys. I use Revlon med auburn # 42. My 16 year old son dyes my hair for me. I have to use about 3 packages because my hair is so long. I dye it every 6 weeks. I use good conditioner and don't wash my hair but every 3 days. I have never had a problem with coloring my own. I did not color when I was pregnant however. I just did not want to risk the fetus.

15. kat33

kat33New Member

Threads:
    Yes I think that hair dye or any kind of chemical product we put on our hair is bad for us. I have been dying and bleaching my hair for over 10 years! Recently I have become more and more inspired to use natural products (beauty, food, cleaning products and more). The more I research organic products and how to live a healthy lifestyle, the more I am going away from all that is chemically treated or synthetic. Finally, I have decided to let my natural hair grow in! It will take years to get rid of the dyed hair and roots, but it will be so worth it ;)

16. lauraemilia

lauraemiliaNew Member

Threads:
    Their hair look like you said..dry and brittle..because they dye it but also because they don't use the right product to help their hair look better..when you dye your hair you also have to use the products for dyed hair and it requires more attention and time from women.

17. masteraljon

masteraljonMember

Threads:
    actually, hair dying is not bad if you use it properly,just read first the components before applying or better if you consult first a medical expert.

18. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I try to use products that are good for my hair also because I know that a lot of harsh chemicals are bad for you. I try to stay out of those beauty salons where they are doing all kinds of chemical processes and do my own hair. I haven't been to a beauty salon in years and I know that I won't go back there. I am not a fan of hair salons and the beauticians are there all day breathing in all kind of chemicals and just think about all the health problems that they are going to have later on in life.

#18Jul 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  19. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    I have been dyeing my hair all the time except during my pregnancy because i was told the chemicals and fume might bring untoward effects to the baby. It's still an argument whether hair dye or hair colorants really affect the fetus but i'm not risking the health of my baby, it's better to be sure than sorry.

20. Ja'cobeC

Ja'cobeCMember

Threads:
    Yes, it is bad for you hair and your health. I heard it so many times when I used to color my mo hawk. They have some hair dye that dont damage your hair that you could buy in stores and on the web. I don't remember the name of it but just look it up and see.