Is going to bookstores still worth it?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by broknkyboard • Dec 13, 2013.

1. broknkyboard

broknkyboardMember

Threads:
    In the country I live in, there aren't many bookstores and the ones that are around don't offer many choices. Now buying eBooks online means I get more options, they're cheaper and the downloads are instantaneous. So, is the bookstore experience still worth it to you?

2. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I particularly like bookstores with collections of old books. Physical books are a different experience from e-books. Both have their uses. Owning an e-book is much like owning an e-painting.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually prefer e-books nowadays, so I don't really miss going to the bookstore. I now only buy books when I don't see an e-book version of it. In my opinion e-books are much cheaper, convenient, and a money and space saver. After all, you're only after the content right? So I'm not into having the physical version of a book.

4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    In my country there are still a large number of libraries, but several of them closing every day.

I see people still looking for traditional paper books, but it's undeniable that many people is switching to digital books.

Myself I'm one of those persons who prefer digital books and preferably for free.

5. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    It is nice for some people. I personally like to have a collection of physical books on display in the living room. I don't buy my books from bookstores, I buy them all online. My favorite place to shop for books is of course, Amazon, especially self-help books. Amazon has an amazing selection. If I am looking for a specific book, it is nice to be able to look online for it, rather than going to different stores looking for it.

6. brutal37138

brutal37138Member

Threads:
    I rarely go to book stores anymore, with the exception of used book stores. I like being able to buy good used books for a fraction of their original selling price. I have not attempted to switch over to ebooks and don't even find the option interesting. I like to have the paper book in my hands, I wouldn't want to look at a screen that long, just reading. I think the typically, new book store (like Barnes & Nobel) is expensive compared to other viable options available today. It does offer an atmosphere and the ability to browse easily before deciding, but I find that I get that at the used book store where the prices are significantly less.

7. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    I like physical books a lot, but I haven't been to bookstore in years. Books are either given to me or I purchase them on Amazon for a much cheaper price. I also use the library frequently, but some books are so good that you'll want to be able to read them whenever you want!

8. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    For me personally, I don't think there is a need for a bookstore. However the only reason I say that, is because I am not a big reader. Although if you are a big reader then a bookstore may be beneficial to you. For me on the other hand there is no need while we live in the internet age where everything can be easily obtained by doing a quick search on Google.

9. charahome

charahomeMember

Threads:
    Yes, going to a bookstore is still worth it. You get to browse, see the latest, have coffee, and you can sit down and read up a bit if you are up to it.

E-books are great, but the experience of a bookstore tops any online availability, any day.

At a bookstore, you can scan sections faster than you can online. You have size, price, and variety of options.

10. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    With today's technology boosting the use of going to the bookstore I feel may not be needed. My family loves to read and it so convenient for us to just download our eBooks to our kindles and share them among each other. The eBooks have a bigger selection and the author gives you a brief section to read before purchasing the eBooks.It a co much convenient to just down load the eBook in my opinion at the comfort of any place especially if there a new book that has come out and you want it right away. It may be sold out at the bookstore.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like bookstores because instead of ordering some book online and wait for the copy to be delivered, I'd save time by just walking round the block and getting the book from a physical store. The difference in prices, I've noticed is almost negligible [especially if you're making your purchase on Amazon].

#11Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  12. XxMotleyCrueXx

XxMotleyCrueXxNew Member

Threads:
    I don't think it is worth it to go to a bookstore, instead of a bookstore maybe you could go to your local library instead? that way you can check out as many books as you want for free. I also would imagine buying off books online on places like Amazon and eBay would be cheaper.

13. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I personally love bookstores so I think it's totally worth shopping in one. I like browsing and checking out books before buying them. I find that many books don't really live up to their title and description. I really like to peruse a book before buying. I hate returning books to Amazon. It's really a pain.

14. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I love going to the bookstore. I enjoy the process of walking around browsing for books on the shelf. Also, the smell of freshly opened books, I can't get that with e-books.

15. jazzalazz

jazzalazzMember

Threads:
    It is most definitely worth it! The convenience of an ebook is nice. If traveling, I like to be able to pull out my tablet and pass the time with a story. However, I would much rather read from a physical book and from an ebook on a computer or tablet. There's nothing comparable to flipping the pages and the scent and texture of those pages. It helps create the setting of the story.

16. FloraFauna

FloraFaunaMember

Threads:
    I still have love for traditional bookstores. Unfortunately the feeling isn't mutual, as all of the major bookstores in my neighborhood have closed down. Well, except for one used bookstore, but the place looks like a hoarder's basement. I'm genuinely afraid to step too far inside.

17. dreamseer

dreamseerMember

Threads:
    I love the whole bookstore shopping experience. If I had the time and money, I could spend all day in a bookstore. With that said, I rarely go to bookstores anymore because I really can't afford the cost of new books, so I buy a lot of used one's on Amazon. Also the little used bookstore where I live, went out of business last year, so I would have to drive an hour just to find one.

18. charahome

charahomeMember

Threads:
    I can't agree with you more. Yes, I do ebooks, but once I am sure that is what I want to get.

I still go to the bookstore, and like you, enjoy perusing through the isles, reading the front, back and inside of a book. I like the feel of a book, and the turning of the pages. To me, it will never go out of style.

19. AskJeeves

AskJeevesMember

Threads:
    I have about 8 libraries in my city, and about 2 book stores, but I have never stepped in one of them. As for the other, I have only been there 3 times and only bought a book for myself once. I don't feel it is really worth it to go to bookstores anymore. I either buy online and get an awesome deal, or I go to libraries and read there.

20. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I once saw photos of a gorgeous bookstore full of old books that looked like a building from a Harry Potter movie. I would go to a bookstore for an experience like that. There's also an independent bookstore in my city where major authors do book signings and events. But if I'm just looking to buy a book, Amazon is always my first choice because it's so convenient and has so many choices.
    Bookstores and music stores have mostly been killed off by the internet.