You can use the Chrome extension Proxmate to access Netflix from outside of the US

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by broknkyboard • Dec 15, 2013.

1. broknkyboard

broknkyboardMember

Threads:
    The extension basically lets you connect to Netflix a proxy server based in the US, allowing you to bypass Netflix's pesky country/regional limitations!

2. iagirl

iagirlMember

Threads:
    That is awesome. I have heard of using proxy servers to watch content but the only ones I have found that worked were the paid ones. I look forward to trying out this chrome extension so I can watch content from Canada that I enjoy when we are there but never get to watch when we are home.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    How is the streaming quality when doing this? Any time I've ever used a proxy of any sort in the past, the connection was always very unreliable and would keep dropping quite regularly.

Another possible solution you may wish to check out would be streaming Netflix through a Sony device - such as a Sony Blu-Ray player that supports Netflix. The reason this may work is due to the design of the devices. From what I've heard, Sony acts as a middleman for users trying to connect through Netflix with their products. They route the traffic through Sony's servers first, then to Netflix - presumably to capture user data for their own marketing purposes. Most other devices simply connect directly to Netflix. I've heard people complaining about Sony doing this, since they were reporting slower connections, but in the case of folks outside of the US, it could possibly work in your advantage if the Sony re-routing is fooling Netflix into thinking you are in the US. I don't know for sure if that is the case, but it's worth a try.

4. pipps

pippsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, how is streaming quality. I am in the UK and would love to find out how to do this because there are some US shows that I just cannot wait to watch. Do I just go into the google chrome web apps store and download or is there something else I've got to do too?

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The quality will be the same but since proxy since proxy servers are relatively slow, you'd have to brace yourself for random pauses that will definitely negatively affect your enjoyment of the movie.

Proxy servers are not reliable so if you really need to watch bypass geo-restrictions when accessing any type of content on the net, I would recommend using a VPN with servers in the U.S or wherever you please. With them, at least, you won't get any disconnections.

6. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    This sounds really good. I would normally use a virtual private network to do this, but as it turns out, streaming things online comes at a cost. Video files take a huge chunk out of the allocated GBs the you get when you pay for VPN access. I think that that is a major challenge for me when it comes to the likes of netflix, and so i would be really keen and eager to try out some of these solutions as they do sound pretty interesting to me and i would find a very good use for them.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Awesome! I'm in the US, but I have friends who complain about not being able to watch overseas. After you set it up, do you just use a friend's username/password? Or do you purchase a subscription while using this extension? If the latter, does Netflix flip out over your billing address?