If you have a cat, how often do clean out their litter box?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Kaylah • Dec 16, 2013.

1. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    I have a cat and I used to only clean out her litter box once a month because I am lazy. Bad, I know, and poor kitty. :(

Now, I try to clean out her litter box every day or every other day, so she always has fresh, clean kitty litter.

How often do you clean out yours? I'm just curious to see how often most people do it. I'm guessing at least a couple times a month.

2. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I'm diligent about taking care of my cats' two litter boxes. I can't stand the smell when they get "full." I usually put a smaller amount of cheap cat litter and then just dump the whole thing every day. It costs a little more, but it stays very clean. I used to buy more expensive litter, use more and scoop it, but I could still smell it. This way, I can barely ever smell the litter boxes.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I clean mine about once a week. I know I should clean it more often, but that simply doesn't happen most times. I do feel bad about it, too, especially if it goes longer than that.

I have a friend who only "cleans" his about once a month or every 6 weeks. The thing is, he didn't even know that scoopers existed or that you're supposed to sift out the waste. So what he does is just dumps the whole box once a month and then adds fresh kitty litter.

4. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    I have two cats. I have to clean their litter box twice a day as they get a bit messy. They are small cats too, and they eat a good amount. If you don't clean it out often enough, or if you put the food too close to it, then they start going around the house, which is much worse of a problem than cleaning the litter could ever be.

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Once a month?? OMG, your poor cat! Our cats have a total of 4 litter boxes (2 cats = 2 litter boxes each), and they are cleaned twice a day. Even more if their stomach is more active than normal. Once a day should be OK, but I don't think I could ever stand more than that! Also, cats are extremely clean animals, so they want their box clean at all times.

6. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannonMember

Threads:
    I do not have a cat, but I used to own several cats. I always made sure to check the litter box daily, if not more than twice a day. I very much dislike the smell of cat pee. A friend of mine has several cats and for whatever reason he does not change the litter box on a day to day basis. His house constantly wreaks and I just can't bring myself to go over there anymore. The smell has gotten THAT bad.

I can't imagine changing your cat's litter once a month. That makes me a bit sad on behalf of your kitty. :(

7. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I always get into an argument with my girlfriend because she doesn't clean out the litter tray that her two cats share enough, she does it about once a week. When I stay at hers the smell is almost unbearable and I clean them out daily. But she is not alone, it seems everyone in her city (Manchester) who owns a cat does the same thing!