Does anyone have a 'go to' place they shop for groceries?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by JoanMcWench • Dec 17, 2013.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I always find myself at Aldi but they seem to be progressing into expensive. I'm having a tough time finding an alternative. I seem to be spending a ton of time researching and considering gas per trip. It's nonsense. So, does anyone have a must-go-grocery-shopping spot that is relatively consistent?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah we live near many malls so I have a lot of options as to where I want to shop. There's a middle class mall and a high end mall, but we are nearer to the middle class mall, so I prefer to just shop in there. Both malls are no more than 15 minutes away from my place.

3. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    My go-to supermarket is Safeway. The reason why is that I am signed up for the rewards program and their online coupon site (

). The combo usually gets me great deals. I even get stuff free.

4. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    The supermarkets from where I live are kind of far away and I hate having to drive far just get some groceries, so I just go to my local store a few blocks away from my house. The good thing is, the prices are cheaper compared to those in the malls and I can just walk my way home, the bad thing is, well, you really don't have that much merchandise to choose from.

5. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to go to Iceland for my shopping because it is nearer and cheaper and I much prefer the taste of their food to Sainsbury's and Tesco.

6. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    It depends. If I'm just picking up a few things, I'll stop at the locally owned grocery store, but I don't like going there when I'm buying a lot of stuff because some of their prices are higher and their meat and produce aren't of the best quality. For most purchases, I go to Food Lion; their prices have come down in recent years, so they're affordable, but they have high-quality products.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Aldi's is still my go-to place. I haven't noticed prices creeping up. There's been some normal price increases, but I'm seeing the same thing at other sites, too, so I still find that Aldi's is the cheapest for me.

Outside of that, Shoprite and Kroger's are both reasonable, but they're still usually more expensive than Aldi's.

8. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    There is an Aldi's about 30 minutes away from me. I'm thinking about checking it out sometime since the other grocery stores are 15-mins-ish away. I've always heard Aldi's had great prices on produce and certain bulk items. Yay for saving and for reminding me of a place that I need to check out. We don't have a Shoprite or Kroger here, but we do have Harris Teeter, which was bought out by Kroger...

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I mainly just start shopping around more, even at places I would not normally go to buy groceries. Sometimes places like Target or CVS may have specials on certain items that are much cheaper than the grocery stores. Obviously they are just loss leaders to try and lure you into buying other stuff while you are there, but if you are disciplined and stick to only those discounted items, it can help out. Thankfully in my case, these extra stores are all in the same plaza as the grocery stores I shop at, so I don't really have to drive all over town wasting time and gas.

The other places I start relying on more are dollar stores. I recently discovered that our Dollar Tree for example, is selling canned Artichokes (Progresso brand) for only $1 each. These are normally like $3-$4 at all the other grocery stores near me. When I have people over, and need to pick up some pop, they have these giant 4 liter bottles for only $1 as well. I would easily pay $1.75 for just a single two liter at most other stores. The only catch is some of the dollar store items are actually more expensive than what you would typically pay at a grocery store, in particular canned goods. Canned beans are $1 there, but only like 59 cents at the grocery stores.

10. malia

maliaMember

Threads:
    well, i don't have a car and i live right down the street from publix (which is really expensive) so i really don't have a choice. although publix is expesive i will say that they have the best customer service and its always cleanly.

11. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    My go to is Trader Joes, doesn't matter if it is a small or large grocery shopping I go to TJs for just about everything. The prices are reasonable for what you are getting, the selection is awesome and I like the mix of organic and non-organic products they carry. I also see items at TJs that I have seen at Whole Foods, but Trader Joes is always less expensive.

12. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I actually have an interesting fact about Trader Joe's: Aldi is owned by the same company. Which apparently speaks to why they are getting a lot more organic and fancy with their merchandise options.