Paypal Debit Card Issue

Discussion in Payment Methods started by SEA81 • Apr 26, 2012.

1. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    My mom has been a Paypal customer for over a decade and has always had a debit card. Today, she realized she accidentally threw it away (on garbage day no doubt), and so I went to her account to try to get a new one. They want to check her credit and stuff before they'll send her a new one? I don't understand why. The old card didn't expire for another year. She is really upset, because due to some health problems, she'd got a ton of debt from the last two years that she is slowly paying off, but it's sent her credit score way down. That's just so frustrating. Beware if you ever lose your card...

2. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    This is good information to have! I never would have thought they would run a credit check for a debit card! The money is coming out of your account not like it is an actual credit card unless you requested that new thing they have of pay it later or something. Then I can see why they would, but for a straight debit card to use your money what the heck is up with that?!

3. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    I know, it seems so ridiculous! And the worst part is, her old card was good for another year, so you think there'd be some kind of rule against revoking it just because she lost it. They'd already approved her to have it for a year. Hopefully, they'll allow her another one, but I have a bad feeling.

4. deecee

deeceeActive Member

Threads:
    Paypal periodically makes policy changes, so they may have added the credit check after your mom got her card. I know they are doing a lot of changes for people who use paypal to process payments. Ebay makes a lot of profit from paypal.

5. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking about getting one of those cards because the money transfer is instant. I use a debit card now, and I have to wait 2-3 days for the money to be deposited into my bank account. It's a real pain, but I don't understand why they need to run a credit check. Does their policy mention that if your card should be lost or stolen, you would be required to have a credit check?

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Ugh, that really sucks.

Because debit cards can often be used as credit cards, I'm sure they're just making sure she's still eligible. While you have to put in a pin often in order to run the card like debit and take the funds out directly, it's also possible to run it as credit and remove funds that aren't even there sometimes. The same goes for if she puts the numbers in online since they now run as Mastercards. Hopefully they just approve her and move on, but it was likely because of a policy change. Make sure they know you were only trying to replace a debit card and not apply for their actual credit card options they have now (which let you charge funds and pay back later).

7. leighdu

leighduNew Member

Threads:
    Oh wow, I wonder when this change took place? I lost mine last year, but got it replaced no problem, but mine is expiring in about three months, and I wonder if they run a credit check for renewing? This is ridiculous. I mean it's not a line of credit. It's your own money you are using. I use my PP debit card all the time as that's the way my job pays!

8. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    With all their new changes, they are trying to get everyone's social security number. I remember in the good old days they didn't even ask for your social. I guess too many fraud cases developed over the years and now they are cracking down. Looks like she may have to wait until the card expires so they will just send a new one.

9. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, they definitely want to check her social just because there has been a lot of fraud over the past few years. It sucks and you can try and call and talk to them and see if you can get anywhere, but I doubt it. Paypal is pretty strict nowadays.

10. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    A similar thing happened to me. I've had some debt issues in the past couple of years that I'm trying to work on now, and that now disqualify me from getting a paypal debit card, even though I had one before and for years, and I never overdrew on it the whole time I had it.

It makes you wonder why companies are making it so hard for a person who has fallen off, so to speak, to get back their good credit standing.

11. GGGuardian

GGGuardianMember

Threads:
    Thanks for sharing this information my friend. I currently have my Debit Card linked to my Paypal. Now I know to hold onto it for a while passed expiration.

12. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, that is awful. I am sorry your mother had to experience this. You can easily link your bank-issued debit/credit card or a pre-paid debit card to your Paypal and receive money within 2 or 3 business days.