Electric heating over gas.

Discussion in Heating started by Hedonologist • Jan 4, 2014.

1. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    From my supplier, electricity is about 3 times as expensive as gas, per Kwh. I seem to think though that there is so much wastage in gas heating that I would be better off just situation an electric heater in the room I'm in. Even though the price of gas is 1/3 I seem to be using a lot of it just for the heating of the rooms.

2. mistysauro

mistysauroNew Member

Threads:
    I like gas better but you really have to be careful, it has a nasty smell when u turn it on at first so i get electric.

3. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    Same here. Electric space heaters can really pump up your bill versus using gas heat. Like you though, at night I use only a small space heater in the bedroom with a timer and I use it an hour or two and its just fine.

4. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    This is what I'm planning, just a small space heater with a timer, otherwise the gas will be on all night, and that will certainly be more expensive than having a heater on for an hour or two. Also there will be a lot less wastage. I wonder if there is anyone who knows exactly how much wastage there is through pipes etc with central heating. I'm sure it must come close to the 66% required to make it less cost efficient than electric

5. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I rather have electricity because you can use it for many other things. I use electricity to heat the house as a gas substitute. You can also boil water to bathe when your gas is off. Gas is expensive nowadays and can be very dangerous if an unknown leak occurs. Hot water is about the only luxury of gas to me during a shower.