What's your egg dish?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by JosieP • Jan 11, 2014.

1. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My name is Josie and I'm an eggoholic. I eat eggs every single day, I just adore them. The WHOLE egg.. I wouldn't dream of not eating the yolk because of the dreaded, evil fat in it LOL. You're depriving your body of the best part when you do that! Get to know your fats people.. you NEED them. But I digress.. this is about eggs.

My fave egg dish is poached. I eat that the most, but I love pretty much every egg dish unless it's prepared in the oven (I won't even consider the microwave), something about the texture bothers me, so stove top only.

What's yours?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I recently discovered that cooking eggs in the pressure cooker makes fantastic hard boiled eggs - as in the shell peels off super easy. Something about the pressure I guess causes the egg to separate from the lining of the shell.

I've been almost exclusively been making omelettes every morning. I love to play around with different ideas for fillings each day. Some days I may take some leftover lunch meat ham, and some swiss cheese and spinach. Other days I may do a sauteed mushroom, onion and cheddar filling. Or I will even add herbs, like chives, to the eggs to add some color and flavor to the omelette itself.

3. dapapas

dapapasNew Member

Threads:
    I enjoy eggs. My wife hates them. But whenever i make them i make one of two kinds: Migas (egg and fried corn tortilla) or chorizo and eggs. I come from a Mexican background if you cant tell.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Lately I've been on an "Eggs In Purgatory" kick. If you're not familiar with the dish, it's basically eggs poached in a spicy tomato sauce. It also goes by different names with slight variations in different regions, such as "Shakshuka".

I make it rather simply by adding some olive oil, minced garlic, and a generous amount of red pepper flakes to an 8" non stick pan (pan size is important, so you don't waste too much sauce to cook the eggs) and cook over medium head to infuse the oil. Then crack two eggs into a bowl (to make sure the yolks don't break). Add some crushed tomatoes to the pan, about 1/3 of a 28 oz can. Don't used diced or whole canned tomatoes, as they come packed with chemicals that keep them from breaking down into a sauce. Regular canned tomato sauce is too salty and bland, so don't use that either - we're making the sauce here from scratch. Add some dried or fresh herbs of choice - I use a little dried oregano.

While the sauce simmers a bit, get some toast ready. Use a crusty, sturdy Italian or French bread. Don't use soft sandwich bread, it won't hold up to the sauce. Add your eggs to the sauce and cover with a lid, letting them poach until set but the yolks are still runny. When done, ladle some sauce over the toast, then carefully scoop the eggs out and place them over each piece of toast. Top with a good handful of Romano or Parmesan and that's it!

To make things quicker in the mornings, you can always whip up a batch of the tomato sauce to have on hand, so you only need to throw a little in the pan and warm it through before adding the eggs.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love egg sandwich. I'm not a fan of eggs since they taste so plain in my opinion, so egg sandwich would be my favorite. Fried eggs would be ok too if there was no other stuff to eat in the house.

6. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I love my eggs sunny side up. I usually have it on toast, flipped upside down for the bread to absorb, and coated in a delicious hot sauce. That's all I need. Simple perfection.

7. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    We also eat a lot of eggs. They are cheap and easy to prepare and my kids love them. A great way to get protein and save money.

We do scrambled with cheese and grits pretty frequently. I also love eggs in a breakfast burrito.

And I'd never say no to fried eggs, over easy, with a piece of toast and bacon.

I admit I am SUPER picky about my scrambled eggs. My husband almost can't even make them right. I never order scrambled eggs at a restaurant. I almost always go for over-easy.

8. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nice thread! :)

To be honest I also love poached eggs, but my most common egg dish is scrambled eggs, simply because they are fast and easy to mix with other stuff, like tuna fish, rice or sausages and they can make a good meal along with some chips. :)

9. DankAllen

DankAllenBanned

Threads:
    Everyone of my friends think that I'm a weirdo for liking this. My favorite way to eat eggs is a Pepperoni, Egg, and Cheese omelet. I don't know when it started but I make them for breakfast all the time now.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    If just in terms of the method the egg itself is cooked without other ingredients, I will always prefer scrambled. I don't even need all the other things people put in it like salt or milk or butter, although they are still very much a welcome addition, but overall, I'm happy with just plain scrambled eggs cooked in oil. As for egg dishes and recipes, my favorite will always be omelettes. I've been cooking them ever since I was a kid and I still do now as an adult. I love eating it for any meal of the day, even for dinner, but I think it's a lot more delicious when eaten in the mornings along with a nice fruit juice and some good bread.

11. khillis

khillisMember

Threads:
    I agree, eggs are amazing. I eat very little meat; so eggs and beans are a big part of my diet. Poached are incredible, but you can do so much. My favourite eggs are scrambled; I then add sauteed mushrooms, peppers, onions, broccoli, basically any vegetable I feel like. Toast a piece of rye and spread some cream cheese on it; add your egg/vegetable mixture on top of your toast. I always have homemade salsa in the fridge; place a spoonful on top of the eggs and eat your creation with a knife and fork. It's delicious.

12. eg0mez

eg0mezMember

Threads:
    I Like fried eggs to me they are the best, and they good with almost any dish. Eggs are good, but I don't tend to eat them in moderation because they are not that healthy, but they do have a high amount of protein. However, being a vegetarian I tend to stay away from animal products ass much as possible.

13. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    The Egg Dishes

For eggs, we like to have them boiled and then fried. We do need the variety, so for breakfast we either fry them sunny side up with very little cooking oil, or we make very thin crisp omelets to fill our sandwiches with. We also have them in our soups, with fish and vegetables when we want to have eggs. It's quite easy to prepare and we can also poach the eggs individually before dumping them into the pre-heated soup, which we usually have for supper.

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like scrambled eggs, breakfast burritos, homemade Egg Mc Muffins, and various kinds of quiche. I used to make fun of quiche until I had one full of bacon and cheese.
    I can tolerate hard boiled eggs but I prefer them as soy eggs marinated in soy sauce and Chinese spices until they turn brown.

15. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I totally forgot about this thread. Since I posted it, I became vegan! haha. I do miss eggs though, very much. I won't eat them now until I have my own chickens and I know exactly how they live lol.

16. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    This post reminded me that some people may have certain allergic reactions to eggs. Our family members were allergic to eggs, and we didn't even find out until they had reached a more mature age. It's hard to tell if children are allergic to eggs if they don't speak up, and allergies can become a serious health concern for humans. Some children don't have yet the words to describe the egg intolerance symptoms.

#16Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  17. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I like mine fried, sunny side up in a little butter with just a tiny bit of salt. I have never been a fan of hard boiled eggs. Scrambled is OK, but runny yokes is ideal for me.

18. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can't beat a fried egg sandwich or a plate of egg and chips as I had as a child. Another favorite is a frittata or Spanish tortilla layered with potatoes, peppers and onions. They are a great snack with some ketchup on the side.

19. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hi Josie, you are lucky that you can digest eggs so well and eat them on a daily basis. I have never been big on eggs, simply because they always sit heavily in my stomach. On the rare occasion when I do eat eggs, they are usually incorporated in other dishes, such as cakes or pies. But even then, I am careful to not overdo it. For example, if a recipe states 5 eggs, I will put in two. And if I am invited to a meal in a friend's house, I will only take a small portion of dishes that contain eggs.

20. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    My favorite egg dish is definitely the good ole scrambled egg. I just love it, and I can have it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I also like fried eggs, and I'll never say no to a good egg salad sandwich. I don't like them poached or sunny side up. I like them thoroughly cooked all the way through.