Dog entertainment

Discussion in Pets started by Peninha • Jan 17, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do the customary things with mine, walks in the park or in the beach and not much more. Just recently though, something new (for my country) opened near my house, a dog park. For those that are not familiar with, it's a park especially designed for dogs where the can really socialize lol. Great idea!

What do you do with your dog for entertainment?

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would love a dog park near my house! There are some parks nearby but not specific for dogs! I have a 5 month old dog now and I'm sure I will be going to parks with him way more often now, so it would be very nice to have one!

3. Plinko

PlinkoMember

Threads:
    I think dog parks are great for most dogs, but my two little ones would be scared to death if they met a large dog. I have a big back yard, so my dogs and I go out there to play every day. I have been trying to teach them how to fetch. They are good at finding the ball, but they don't bring it back. They take off running with it and come back to me a few minutes later, lol.

4. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is a good point Plinko, some dogs are not very sociable and they do get scared easily, luckily that's not the case with mine, he has a great time there. The first time I saw the park I thought, another park for kids, not too bad, then I closed in and I saw it was for dogs, I must say it's a huge success, and it's free! :)

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just play with my dog when I'm in the mood to do so, like I'll chase him and he'll chase me. My other family members sometimes take him out for a walk though.

6. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you live in the city sidney? Because in the city there's not much space to entertain your dog I can tell you. In the country or the beach (in the winter) it's great, but a dog park in the cities is a real necessity, unless you have really large parks.

7. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    A dog park would be a great idea in my neighborhood, they do have them about a half hour from me but my dogs are a bit unruly and wouldn't do well off leash lol. But I think it is important for dogs to socialize. My dogs basically play together with their dog toys and that's enough entertainment for them right now.

8. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You should see the dog park that is right by my house, especially at weekends it looks like a dog disco or something like that, is crowded, the dogs are amusing themselves and most of the owners actually is outside relaxing and talking amongst themselves.

9. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hope to take them to the dog park when the weather is nice but it can make me nervous. I don't know about other dogs being in there. Rocky will go nuts at any of them. Lily gets along with all of them but I might be nervous if there's a big rough playing one since she's small.
    Last summer I walked them in the regular park though.
    They have ropes and chews to keep them occupied for now.

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Here where I live there is a dog park in almost every town. One is near the local supermarket, where dog owners take their animals into an enclosed park area with lots of bins and plastic poop bag dispensers, an obstacle course, a playground for ball and stick games and benches for dog lovers to sit and discuss... dogs, I guess. I think it's a great idea, since everyone who frequents those parks is responsible and cleans up their dog's mess, which can't be said for a lot of people who take their dogs to the beach and leave plastic bags filled with dog excreta lying around the shore line. When the tide comes in, all that plastic gets carried out to sea.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    My dogs would have gone bonkers if we brought any one of them to a park with other dogs. That was one of the hassles when we tried to walk them around our block, they would get into fights with all the other dogs along the way, especially our terrier. It's not even so much that our dogs were the aggressors - they usually weren't. But for some reason, they would just cause the other dogs to freak out and want to kill them.

My bosses at a previous job (husband and wife couple) would actually go on vacations at specific places, such as Bed & Breakfasts, that allowed dogs, and they would bring their beagle along with them. I guess the places had all kinds of cool play areas for the dogs and the rooms came with mini dog beds that looked like the real beds the guests were staying in.

12. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Dog Parks are great, since they usually don't get to socialize much, but you really need to get your dog used to them slowly, every dog reacts differently to other dogs.
    Getting aggressive is the worst case scenario but he might just be afraid or nervous about it.
    What I was adapting my dog to it, I used to go with him on walks near the dog park, circling it a bit for a few days and you could see he was a bit nervous and always on the lookout for the other dogs.
    But after a week or so he was pulling me towards it and now he is always eager to go.

13. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    We live out in the country so no dog parks, sadly. I just have to take mine on hikes but it sucks because of ticks coming out now.

14. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I thought that living in the country should be something great Devo, dogs have all the space in the world to run and explore, I think it's great for them. Ticks are an issue though, that's true, but with the proper protection I think that they can avoid them no?

15. Nickchick

Threads:
    I took them to the dog park the other day and Lily was fine with the big dogs. The only thing was she kept coming back like she wanted Rocky to join in with her but we kept him on the leash because he was his usual jerky self. None of the other dogs wanted anything to do with him after coming to him and I don't blame them. I feel bad for Lily sometimes. She tried.

16. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's one thing I find surprising Nick, I see the small dogs getting along fine, more, I see a lot of dogs together in the same space and they seem to be getting along fine. Possibly they "understand" that it's an interaction space and that they should get along there?

17. Nickchick

Threads:
    Well Lily always gets along with other dogs. What I meant was I just wasn't sure about her size but she didn't get hurt. I guess size really doesn't matter.

18. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    LOL, not in that case true, I guess some dogs are more sociable than others and the owners know that, so taking an aggressive dog to such a park would be a terrible idea and the owners don't take them.

19. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    I LOVE dog parks for both people and dogs. My middle size girl was raised in a dog park. She was my partner, when I lived in apt. We went to the dog park almost everyday! And yes, for those not used to the idea, yes, dogs mostly DO get along. Most of them also have separate areas for small dogs and large dogs. It's a people idea really that they don't. Most people when they get there, have that concept of leash too. Dogs have completely different kinds of behavior when leashed and when free. So as soon as you can when you get there, unleash. It makes the transition into the area so much easier for them, as dogs can have completely different behavior with each other on and off leash.

And also for you newbies to parks, CHILL. Many dogs PLAY with growls, and other noises. It's normal. My middle size girl still plays rough. It's how her play style is. Also to newbies, please be aware it's YOUR energy effecting SO much. Truly, when you do get multiple dog behavior understanding more about their interactions, they will be better. Like children, they are effected by YOUR energy. :) I have seen MANY an interaction go south because the humans messed it up. Seriously.

20. Kazix

KazixMember

Threads:
    My dog is easy to entertain. He loves walks, loves the car rides, loves treats. We usually play fetch and 'tug o war' both outside and inside. Also he sometimes is my jogging partner, he loves to race me.