Saving money buying used books

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Peninha • Jan 23, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've bought my share of used books on Amazon and I have the best impression of the whole process. The books arrive at my home good as new, sometimes I don't even notice they were read and they usually cost 50% less, so it's a great deal that I don't understand how it works many times! What's your experience on this?

2. broknkyboard

broknkyboardMember

Threads:
    Well buying used on Amazon is definitely better than buying used on Ebay (not that it's completely risk-free or anything). From what you've posted I gather that so far you've been lucky since books are easy damage and said damage is easy to hide.

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Maybe I was lucky, I really don't know, but I have the best impression so far, I am wondering that there is no point in buying new books because the used ones I've bought look as good as new.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've bought a few books on e-bay. Their condition was OK. And by OK One was stolen from a school but well, yeah, I suppose the quality matches books you'll get off Amazon. These days however thanks to Project Guternberg, I don't buy books unless I have to.

5. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I buy used books when I can. In fact buying used is sometimes the only way to get what you want. I probably buy about 1/4 to 1/3 of my books used. The savings are very good considering that they are almost always in very good condition. you can sometimes save up to 66% for a book with just a few scuffs or minor tears.

6. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    LOL, a book from a library really? It's hard to beat that quality, I am pretty sure Amazon would not sell such a book! Project Gutenberg is great, loads of e-books, I always print them though.

7. Aquila

AquilaBanned

Threads:
    It can help us,basically having the common sense of buying something is quite much necessary especially when we take care of all the aspects which are sensible and in the same way those things which have a way of growth for us they let us do better.

8. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I buy all of my physical books used from The Friends of the Library. They run a small store inside the library and I get amazing deals. I can spend $5.00 and come out with 7 or 8 books. I also buy books at thrift stores. I will only buy a used book from Amazon or eBay if I need a specific book that I know I will not come across easily at the library store or a thrift store.

9. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Now that you mentioned that I recalled a bookstore in Germany that also has a site called zweitausendeins, they sell books and CDs at amazing prices, definitely worth to check out. I've bought quite a few things there and you can really get deals that you can't get anywhere else. Downside? Page seems to be in German lol.