What's with the Flappy Bird craze?

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by lindbergh • Feb 25, 2014.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Were you able to download and play Flappy Bird before it was removed from the Play Store? People were raving about this game before. I tried it but I was a bit disappointed. It's a very simple and frustrating game. Did you like it or hate it?

2. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    I was able to download it but I haven't downloaded it. I just didn't like the craze about it. Afterwards I played the browser version and was irritated immediately so I stopped playing it and have never thought about playing it again.

3. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    It was just another addictive game, I have no idea why it became the new craze, I also have no idea why the developer removed it citing invasion of his privacy, how many people were really flocking to his home?

If you missed it there are clones available, my favourite is clumsy bird, I have a top score of three! lol

4. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the drama came from rumours of the developer boosting the app to #1 artificially and the whole disaster with it being pulled from the AppStore so very quickly afterwards which led to so much attention. The actual game really isn't all that special.

5. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    I have downloaded flappy bird because I got really curious with all the hype in social media, but personally I really don't find it addictive its really boring and artistically not well thought of.

6. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Aside from clumsy bird, there's another spin-off called Flippy Bird! Haha! This is getting ridiculous. It's quite funny though that developers are trying to ride the Flappy Bird craze by trying to imitate Flappy bird and name it so closely to the original. It also shows how we could be so simple at times that we are easily addicted to small games like these.

7. Brad

BradMember

Threads:
    I got the game and almost deleted it within a hour of downloading it. I find the game quite buggy and it gets unbelievably annoying after you play it for a while. I kept having the problem of dying without even touching the tubes.

I'm now into something called 'Splashy Fish', which is exactly the same, but you play as a fish instead of a bird.

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yep, it really wasn't anything special. It's simply a fad that people caught onto and it became even more popular because the owner discontinued it. It's so ridiculous.

If you look on Ebay and Craigslist, you'll find a whole bunch of phones being sold with Flappy installed on them going for crazy high prices.

9. Cadence

CadenceMember

Threads:
    I was about to download it from the app store a few days before it got removed but I didn't because it seemed really lame.. I never even tried it at all so I'm kind of lost in this whole flappy bird-mess.

10. brian101

brian101New Member

Threads:
    Thought about downloading it myself but in the end I figured it isn't really worth it and probably another fad. I could guarantee that it will be forgotten within about a month or two time. It has a lot of hype through social media, tv etc though I don't know at least one friend of mine who plays it

11. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    I think the people only liked the game due to its simplistic nature and easy to understand rules. And the interest in the game was further piqued when the creator of the game decided to remove it from all app stores. He says that he did this because the game had become 'too famous' and it bothered him. He also went on to say that it started giving him panic attacks.

12. Guru

GuruMember

Threads:
    I never got the hype about the game to be honest. It wasn't as if it was unique, iCopter done exactly the same thing except better. Now there are loads of cheap ripoffs of the game on Google Play and the Apple App Store. Its annoying to see loads of low quality similar games.

13. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    It's like with most things, it's nothing special but somehow (luck mainly) it ended up in the media and now everyone just has to play it. Same with Angry Birds, same with Candy Crush Saga, same with pretty much all the mobile games. It's popular so people want to try it, making it more popular and that makes more people want to try it etc. It's vicious cycle that lifts these mediocre at best games into fame.

14. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    I think the craze came from the fact that the concept of the game is sooo simple, yet many found it hard to get more than 5 points! When a game is too easy it becomes boring very fast. When a game like Flappy Bird comes out though, the format and the concept fooled everyone into thinking that the game would be easily beatable. This was obviously not the case. In addition to that, the game was talked about constantly through social media and so many of those who had never even heard of the game, were suddenly hearing about it and suddenly had interest! It was a cool game for a while but there's other games I'd rather spend my time with.

15. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just heard of the game when it was removed, so I really never had the chance to try it. It did look good though, simple graphics and game play, that is what most people want, some simple thing in what we can spend some time and relax.

16. ghostwheel

ghostwheelMember

Threads:
    The concept has been around for as long as I can remember playing the monochrome gameboy back in the early 90s.
    To be honest, I think it spread due to having a similar name as Angry Birds and it snowballed from there (ie. journalists then helped spread the word worldwide)

17. Guru

GuruMember

Threads:
    It was just a giant hype train really. I was surprised how well it was rated in the app store as most people I talked to got really angry at the game and hated it. Facebook definitely helped as there is an option to share your score. I heard the developer was making $50,000 every day from it from ads.

18. cookiemonsterv16

cookiemonsterv16Member

Threads:
    I did get to download this game before it was removed and at first I was annoyed by it because it was just too simple and silly, but at the same time I found myself having a hard time stopping from playing it. The furthest I've gone is 64 and at first I felt like that was pretty good, but my spouse has a cousin who actually has gone up to 200! I was like how in the world did he have the patience to get the far and the time to do that.

19. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I hated that game. But its the kind of hate you have for a professor or a friend, even if you wanted to punch them, you just can't, because it might cause some damage. I've played that game for hours and hours, and I regret it every time I think of it, I mean, the time I wasted on that silly game is ridiculous! But really, the reason why I hate it is not because its hard, some games are hard to up the challenge, but those kind of hard games do require some skill, like critical thinking or strategy, but this game has none of those. Its plain simple, you don't need any kind of skill to play this game, you don't need to be smart or something, but the sheer difficulty of this game is just mind melting. You'd think for a game that is a no brainer, you could beat it easily, but no, this game is just a devil's spawn. I love to hate that game.

20. maxparker0

maxparker0Member

Threads:
    I was never able to download the game and I wouldnt have settled for clones, but I never really regretted that as I knew it wasnt worth the hype. One day my friend was playing it and I asked for a game or two, I was really irritated with the game and wanted to throw the phone at my friend's face but I quietly gave him the phone back and he continued with it.