Shopping at duty-free airports.

Discussion in Travel started by daimashin • Feb 28, 2014.

1. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    How are the prices of the things sold at duty-free airports compared to other places? Are they considerably cheaper or they are more or less the same? Seems like it's a lot more convenient to pick up souvenirs at the airport on my way back than go around looking for presents to buy. If they are a lot cheaper I might just do that when I'm there.

2. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    They are still a lot expensive! It's best just shop by the local stores in the country you're going to. Duty Free is kind of a rip off.

3. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    If it's an international brand, it's always better to buy from duty free shops at the airports. However, if it's a local product, such as local souvenirs, it's much cheaper to buy elsewhere. For example, if you are going to buy Chanel perfumes, it's definitely more reasonable at the airport and you're sure it's original. If it's a refrigerator magnet with the name of the city or country on it, it's usually double the price in the airport.

4. Mafdet

MafdetMember

Threads:
    I've never seen something considerably cheaper on duty-free than in a regular store. However they do tend to use a special kind of advertising in order to convince customers that while they're there it's a one time opportunity to buy something cheaper. So I'd recommend that you first do some research about regular prices, know exactly what you want to buy and go for something that is really cheaper at the duty-free. They usually sell alcohol and perfumes, so there's not much that you can choose from anyway.

5. Jrh2

Jrh2Member

Threads:
    I don't think it is that much cheaper, if any, to buy in duty free. I never buy things in duty free as I would rather wait until I get home as I think it is probably cheaper online or in store. If I found it was cheaper I would probably buy it in duty free but I like to think about things before buying them and buying it in duty free makes it a impulse buy as you have little time to think about it. I think it depends on what you want to buy in duty free.

6. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    My husband and I always buy duty free when flying internationally. It is really fun! Granted, you have to be careful because some things are more expensive. But if you know your product and how much it would normally cost, then you can go into the shops well informed. When they offer a deal you will know if it is truly worth it, the standard price, or over-priced. For eg. you might be able to buy 20cl of 18 yr old Glenfiddich for around 25 pounds or 42.00 U.S. online (not including shipping). So if you go into the airport and they are having a sale, then it might be worth the purchase. Sometimes the airports have free wine tasting or sampling. The clothing always seems to be outrageous but maybe that just isn't my forte. And the Starbucks cafes have free wi-fi! I am flying out this Saturday can you tell? But we only have 3 hours in Paris and that is just not enough time to shop duty free! So I am pre-thinking what I will go for. No browsing for me this time; no buying something just because it comes with a free Eiffel tower filled with brandy. I have to go straight for the whiskey and no more...well maybe some chocolates at check-out.

7. wander_n_wonder

Threads:
    It depends on the item that you are buying. I notice that most perfumes are indeed cheaper, but chocolates are not. The only thing that I like in buying things from duty-free shops is that you tend to see a lot more variety on imported items and that you are sure they are original.

I also would consider if it's convenient to actually buy it from there, and I would usually not buy on the first leg of my trip. I would buy on the last leg in which I am already headed home.

8. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Last time I checked, the prices in duty free stores are a lot more expensive compared to the local stores. I once bought this cute Dragon figurine for $20 only to find out that a local store a few blocks away from my hotel sells them for only $5. But I think it's far more convenient to shop there.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    They are a bit more expensive, but from time to time, just like any other retailer, they will put out promos and discounts especially for items they want cleared from their inventory, and this is a great bargain if you manage to come across it, since Duty Free items are usually of top quality and you rarely see them being sold for a discount. Additionally, I'd agree with some of the posters here that it's much better to shop for items you wouldn't be able to find in your local area because chances are they would be cheaper elsewhere.

10. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I never bought anything from the airport shop because I felt that the things are just as expensive as buying them from a five stars shopping mall especially if it is a local product.

I'd rather buy the things I want from a cheaper shop. We have a big souvenir shop in my town and the prices are just as crazy but there are many little shops that sell the same product. There is also a big market every weekend selling so many different products at much cheaper prices.

11. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    This is something I've always wondered at all, I've never actually bought anything at a duty free shop, but I always hear a lot about them.
    When I'm traveling I always prefer to do my shopping for souvenirs in the small shops around town, they usually have more typical and traditional things and I get to help the local economy more.

12. Neperon

NeperonActive Member

Threads:
    I hate buying from these shops because they sell their stuff in quite an expensive pricing and its such a pain to give that much of money for such thing that you can get from outside the airport at half of the price so yeah they should completely be avoided in my opinion and that is fine enough.

13. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, of course they are cheaper because they are tax-free. So as much as possible make the most of it. The more you spend, the greater your savings will be. I do it myself shopping at duty-free. I really enjoy the savings it gives me. It's way cheaper if I bought in the local grocery of the country where I would be staying.

14. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what you're buying honestly. I mean, sure you can get some cheap deals at the local stores, but if you're looking for the big name brands, you might find them cheaper in the duty free. You never really know until you're actually in it, and by that point its too late to go back and buy from the local store, isn't it?

15. wander_n_wonder

Threads:
    I notice that if you intend to buy souvenirs, you are better off trying local stores outside of the airport. However, if you intend to buy international brands, you may be able to find some really good deals at the airport. I also notice that you will be able to find some rare stuff that you won't normally see in any other shop. In those cases, I'm usually tempted to buy them.

16. HValencia789

HValencia789New Member

Threads:
    Duty free shops can be more expensive than local stores. I know this because i have a background in marketing. What they do is mess up with your mind. Its called psychological marketing. The moment people see "DUTY FREE" on any shop, they tend to think that prices will be significantly lower. In most cases, this is not the case. You can compare the prices of the souvenirs in diff shops, actually, there is an app for that.

17. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree.

"Duty-Free" are words used to blind your sense of pricing. Same way some can say 45% of an expensive product to make you think the price has been lowered when in reality it's cost either the same price [elsewhere] or in some cases costs slightly more.

If you want to buy souvenirs or any product then it's best to buy from a local store or street vendor for souvenirs because the prices will be a lot more friendly to your wallet.

18. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Even though I have spend quite a bit of time in airports in recent years, I have never really paid any attention to duty free shopping. For some reason it has not once crossed my mind to buy anything else in airports than snacks and water for myself. There are plenty of shops, but why would I buy perfume or chocolate or some expensive "cheap" souvenir for my friends or family, when I can get them something traditional and handmade from the local craft markets in the countries that I have visited.

19. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I'm probably going to sound really dense but what is a duty-free airport lol? In anycase, I try to avoid buying souvenirs at any air port because I've usually found that they're really expensive.