Smartphone vs. Dumbphone?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by Mafdet • Mar 3, 2014.

1. Mafdet

MafdetMember

Threads:
    Hey guys,

Is there anybody who still likes good ol' simple phones that you use just when calling somebody or when somebody calls you? I see more and more people who use smart and smarter phones and their whole life collapses when those phones break, especially since they cost a lot of money. I have a smartphone too, one of the small ones by HTC. I like it, but I don't use it that much and I'm definitely not using all the apps or features. I'm thinking about all the phones I've had in the past and I think I likes the simple ones better.

2. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    You know, I just switched to a smartphone about six months. It does have some handy features, but it's actually kind of a pain. Although I probably won't switch back to a "dumbphone," I don't really see the big deal about upgrading, either. If I could go back and do it again, I might have waited until I had a bit more cash saved up before I made the switch.

3. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Due to the frequency with which I lose or break my phones, I stick to very basic models. I never really use the stuff that smartphones are most known for. I never need to use the internet constantly, and I still have basic browser functionality on my phone for emergencies. I do like smartphones though.

4. randee555

randee555Active Member

Threads:
    I enjoy my smartphone, I'm not one of those people who never make eye contact because they are always texting or doing something on their phone. I do think about the times when I had a plain phone and even though I loved it then and thought I had something special, I wouldn't want to go back.

5. Mafdet

MafdetMember

Threads:
    There are a lot of social studies conducted over the use of smartphones in public. The studies reveal that we've become more and more antisocial while actually trying to be more social by keeping in touch with many people at the same time. It is somewhat true, but I believe there's more to it. However, when I'm comparing smartphones with "dumbphones" I'm really thinking about something else. I'm thinking about the use of having so many features into just one device, the need to be very careful with handling that device so that you don't have to spend more money on it and the actual benefit that you get from being able to walk with a phone, camera, GPS, e-mail, facebook, etc all in one small pocket.

6. alfonso

alfonsoMember

Threads:
    I guess it would depend on the person and his/her lifestyle. Smart phones can be great tools for work and organizing different aspects of life. I get what your saying with some folks, seems like their lives are sucked into their phones. I keep a couple of old model phones, I use them when I'm in a bad neighborhood or going to watch a metal concert and stuff like that. I love my BB z10 though, best phone I ever had.:eek:

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer smartphones over dumbphones, and I don't think I would want to go back to those days where cellphones can only call and send messages, that would be pretty boring if you ask me.

8. Mafdet

MafdetMember

Threads:
    I wonder how much smarter can phones actually get. The main reason for which I'm interested to know your opinion about these smartphones is because it seems to me like carrying to much value around all day. And when I say value I don't refer to the cost of the phone but all the features that are packed there in the small box. If you loose it, you've lost your photos, your contacts, your Facebook account, and what not.

9. costin

costinActive Member

Threads:
    My parents are still addicted to the idea of dumbphone, you know each carrier has a special promotion for seniors, offering an easy to use classical phone. Although, seeing my father trying to use the touch thing (as he says) on my HTC One S, I think I can corrupt him to enter the area of smartphone.
    Don`t worry, I don`t use all the apps on my HTC, just is simpler to search for a contact on a smartphone than to scroll all my agenda on an old phone

10. Example27

Example27New Member

Threads:
    I'm for a smartphone over a dumbphone. I use an old Nokia E75, even though it's not most powerful of the smartphones and no particularly useful apps or any of the features new smartphones with advanced OS's have, I still like it more then the dumbphone.
    The fact that I can access internet, store a lot of music, have a calendar based to-do list with reminders and last but not least full QWERTY keyboard is simply a necessity for me now.

11. Meowmie

MeowmieMember

Threads:
    I like my dumb phone! Ok, I rarely go out of the house, and have my computer and kindle right next to me so there isn't a lot of reason for me to have a smart phone. I would hate to have one that was smarter than I am anyway. It could cause a lot of trouble.

I have noticed more and more things need a smart phone to use them, and if companies want to cut me out of their business I guess that's their choice. I don't think it would be worth the cost of the smart phone or the phone bill each month for something I might use twice a month. Not all of us need those gadgets.

12. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I guess it solely depends on what you use your phone for. If your aim is to simply call or text, then rather get a simple phone instead of spending your cash on an expensive smart phone that you won't even use apps with.

I actually prefer using a smart phone because I have errands to run on the internet, and I'm unable to perform those functions on a simple phone. Smart phones are for people who want to use the internet, take clearer photos, or play hi-quality games. Simple phones work just as well, they just have different and lesser functions as compared to smart phones.

13. Batiatus

BatiatusMember

Threads:
    I prefer smartphones. Smartphones are not that expensive nowadays. You can find cheap smartphones that work perfectly. If you are worried about safety then use a case or some kind of protective layer.

14. Ruth

RuthMember

Threads:
    To be honest with you, I do appreciate all the apps and features that are available on a smartphone, but I do not really use them at all. In the day to day life could easily get by with a basic cell phone. However, I have found my smart phone to be very handy when I've got myself in a situation where I have to wait for something for a longer period of time.

15. Mafdet

MafdetMember

Threads:
    It's really interesting to see how people interact with their phones. With no intention to attack any of you, I used to have a teacher who said that we are the carnal extension of our cellphones. I can't say he's completely right, but he's not that wrong either. We do revolve around those phones a bit too much and we all know those internet pictures with people sitting at a table in a bar and looking at their phones instead of at each other. There are pros and cons for smartphones, but I wonder where they will get as in terms of sociability.

16. firestarian

firestarianMember

Threads:
    I am definitely more of a smartphone person because it is an easy way to check my e-mail, check my online contacts and much more in one convenient place. I remember when I got a flip phone for the first time back in the 2000ish era, and it was coolest thing I had ever seen. Everyone has their own opinion regarding cell phones though and in the end it is up to you on the decision of what to use. My friend's dad still uses an old Nokia he charges once a week, I had to borrow it to make a call when I had no service and I was just surprised people still used those. Whatever works for you is what you should use.

17. victor

victorNew Member

Threads:
    I know how to manage smart phones very well so i go for the smartest and high end phone out there, sometimes very expensive but i always get value for my money.once am tried i sell it off and also get another much more higher one.

18. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I like dumbphones more for their physical keys really, touchscreens suck when it comes to typing. But I wouldn't go back to dumbphones either, as much as I love the simplicity of it, Smartphones are now cheaper and there's really no good reason not to get one. And besides these dumbphones would eventually be replaced permanently.

19. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't use phone much so I would spend some cash on a smartphone when I know I'll use it only occasionally to make a call to friend or enemy. That's why I still use my old phone. I hope it lasts a little longer because I'm not willing to upgrade and even if I do, I'd probably buy one of those simple, cheap smartphones.

20. ghostwheel

ghostwheelMember

Threads:
    I'm a smartphone user myself. Back when we had monochrome based mobiles, I used to carry around a pocket PC and a mobile so the modern smartphones of today doubles up like a virtual personal organiser as well as a means of communication.

I gave my OAP uncle a smartphone last year as a present but in retrospect, I should have bought something simpler - he keeps telling me that the phone "does stuff by itself"