Your Favorite Directors

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by DrRipley • Mar 4, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually try and look at movies individually so I can judge them according to my personal taste without bias as much as possible, but I think once you see a pattern it gets kind of difficult to ignore and at that point once the director starts to get your attention, I think they at least need to get a bit of credit for making enough of an impact for us to figure out their own unique style in their work that becomes prevalent in each of their movies. That said, it turns out my favorite director is Zack Snyder. I know it's not a very popular choice, as his style is a lot more commercial than artsy and that's usually frowned upon, as far as I know, but I can't help it as my tastes pretty much seem to mirror his as I also do tend to prefer the more commercial type of style, which is why I like all the movies he's made so far, unpopular as this opinion might be.

How about you guys, which director would you say is your favorite? Do you like all of their movies or do you dislike some of their works?

2. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    I have a difficult time keep track of who tracked what honestly, so it's hard for me to think of a favorite director.

I usually watch comedy movies, and my favorite is Anchroman, directed by Adam McKay, and he's directed a couple of other movies I love/like. I guess he's my pick.

3. firestarian

firestarianMember

Threads:
    I love Quentin Tarantino's films. Pulp Fiction is just one of my favorite movies of all time. All his movies are just cheesy enough that they are funny without trying to be. Afterwards you realize you really enjoyed the movie, so it all just depends on what movies you like. I also really like James Cameron's movies, especially Avatar.

4. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I love Michael Bay. I think that he has an amazing eye for detail and all of his works have been amazing for me. The best thing he has ever directed for me was the transformers trilogy. I thought that was absolutely amazing and would not mind watching that over and over again.

5. alfonso

alfonsoMember

Threads:
    I got a long list for this one but I'll share my top three. Martin Scorsese for his edgy true to life style, Quentin Tarentino cause of his brutal gore-filled touch and I have to say Ridley Scott for his awesome work action and sci-fi movies. A couple more notable mentions are James Cameron and Peter Jackson, especially for his work with The Lord of The Rings films and The Hobbit. I love movies, man, it was hard to pick!

6. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite directors are probably Steven Spielberg and James Cameron. Reason being that they directed two of my favorite movies of all time; Jurassic Park and Terminator 2. I think that they both revolutionized Hollywood cinema during their time. I think that present directors do not have the same visionary touch as they do when it comes to film-making.

7. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I love this question because honestly, I'm a complete film junkie. This is quite difficult for me to answer, but I have two on my mind.

First is definitely Woody Allen. Though people don't see him as a great guy due to so many controversies dealing with his family and love life, you can't deny that he's not a genius. His films show his perspective of life, death, existence and love. His views on certain aspects are different than any other director and he's practically one of the most cleverest director I know.

Second is definitely Sofia Coppola. She directed one of my favorite movies called Lost in Translation, and the way she shot her scenes are breathtaking. The writing of the script, the choice of actors, the storyline in general is just perfect.

8. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Quentin Tarantino because most of his movies have an original storyline (even if they were a book adaptation like Jackie Brown/Rum Punch). I also like Robert Townsend because he keeps the story moving without overlapping or making the characters too complex. John Waters has a wacky realness about his movies (never saw Pink Flamingos and don't plan on it - ever) but they are over the top, especially those starring Divine (RIP).

Melvin Van Peebles is one director that this generation can learn from. When his name is mentioned, most think of Sweet Sweetback... but he also wrote Watermelon Man. It came out more than 40 years ago but has a different take on racism that I have yet to see in today's flicks.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate James Cameron because of his agendas and thinly veiled hatred for religion but he is a good director and has proved that by making some of the greatest movies. His best work IMO is Terminator. The others aren't all that bad either like Spileberg I think he's got to the zenith of his career and in future he won't make movies that are good as the ones he made in the past, thanks to CGI.

10. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    There are way too many directors to choose as a favorite, as in, all over the world of humans. I rather choose liking directors who are true to their craft and did their very best to capture quality over quantity in their filming. If one critically analyze movies or films, one can perceive into a mock perception of the director's mind as he was capturing the film or video - in fact, one can almost see all the people involved and their contribution in each frame or second of the movie - which a great directed movie is one that blends all of the production uniquely balanced into a thought provoking cinematic moment of entertainment and wonder!

11. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I'd go with Chris Nolan just because of Inception. Besides him I believe that many people regard Steven Spielberg and James Cameron to be some of the greatest directors of our time, and certainly, they have come up with masterpieces.

12. ducklord

ducklordMember

Threads:
    Hitchcock. Alfred Hitchcock. He gave us movies that can still be watched, where other movies released at the same time now feel simply "old". "Vertigo" and "Rear Window" are considered two of the best suspense thrillers in the history of cinema, Psycho began the craze with "slasher" thrillers... There's really something to say for each and every one of his movies. You can't consider yourself a movie buff without having seen his work, and when you do, you'll be a harsher judge of the movies that followed - and copied him.

13. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I love Peter Jackson. I'm a fan of LoTR and i think he did an excellent job with the movie adaptations. I also love David Fincher, i'm one of his most recent fans. I saw Gone Girl last week and seriously, it's a great movie with great cast of characters and an incredible director. :p