Cities or Nature?

Discussion in Travel started by Gelsemium • Mar 5, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We all love to travel, but while some prefer to go to the beach, mountains or forests other prefer to visit cities or civilizations. What do you prefer? What do you think is more economical?

2. samjane

samjaneNew Member

Threads:
    I would love to see more of nature because it relaxes my whole-being. I already live in a city so If I'll take some vacation I would love to indulge with nature. I also think that nature places are more economical than in cities.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to visit cities to get a chance to check out museums and art galleries. I also like the hustle and bustle, the crowds and endless smells. But at the end of the week I need to go back to nature and digest everything in a hammock, listening to the sound of peace and tranquillity. I think these days you find bargains wherever you go. Some city hotels have got special rates if you know you'll be staying for a few days. You get good deals on public transport, restaurants and theatres. You just have to ask around, do some research.
    While in comparison, I find country holidays to be exorbitant in price if you think of staying in some retreat or Eco Lodge. For me the best way to have a great time in the country is to go camping with my car. I have got a bed in the back, a gas cooker, food and water, and my camera. That's all I need to be happy for a while.

4. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    If I had to choose a vacation right now between a city or nature, I'd pick nature. I like both equally, generally speaking, but I just happen to be at a time in my life where a relaxing vacation does not include navigating the ins and outs of a big city.

For me, it is more cost effective to do the natural type of vacation. There is seriously tons to do outside that can be really fulfilling and awesome and practically free. Even if you aren't into camping per se, it is almost always cheaper to go somewhere more remote than to find a hotel in a city. Plus, right now, I just want to avoid noise. More and more I find myself rejuvenated by peace and calm, rather than energy.

A lot has changed since college!

5. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think that one's cheaper than the other. If you do your research properly you can save money when traveling to either places.

About my choice now. I'll go with nature, beach and mountains all day for me. Why? That's simple. I live in the city and I'm growing sick of it with each passing day. Seeing a river or the blue sky atop of a mountain fills me with joy and I forget about my worries. Something the city, even one where I go just to visit, can't do. These days when we travel we alternate between mountains and the sea. There are plenty of places to rotate and check out that I don't think we'll get bored any time soon.

6. Jrh2

Jrh2Member

Threads:
    I think nature is a lot quieter and more relaxing but I much prefer to be in cities as it is more exciting with lots to see and do. I don't like holidays when you just end up sunbathing and relaxing all day as I get bored of doing nothing but at least when I am on holiday in cities we can spend time shopping or sightseeing and there is a nicer atmosphere around. I think it depends on what holiday you are after though as it is nice to relax occasionally.

7. erikao1o

erikao1oMember

Threads:
    I really prefer visiting a big city when I'm on vacation. I like the hustle and bustle of the city, and enjoy all of the museums and interesting monuments that can be found in big cities. When I go on vacation I usually tend to mix up cities with smaller towns that are more "nature" based. My favourite vacation so far has been to Greece, where I was able to explore the big city of Athens and then go off to the islands and hang out on the beaches.

8. CSomm

CSommMember

Threads:
    I live in a city, and yet I can't get enough of the culture available in other cities, so that's certainly my choice for a vacation whenever I can. I don't typically have anxiety in my life, which I hear is the primary reason for anyone to spend time in the country. In fact, I imagine the country would specifically give me anxiety I didn't previously have, from being so bored!

9. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    Both.

I can't choose. I guess it depends on what I'm feeling. If I'm extremely stressed, I would prefer taking a mini vacation out to somewhere natural, such as by the lake, near the mountains, surrounded by trees, etc. However, if I get to hang out with my close friends, I'd probably go out to the city and eat at a nice restaurant or go drinking. But honestly, if I'm with my best friends, we'd probably find a free date where we could set up a vacation at a lake house or a beach house.

I love both the city and natural areas, so I can't choose one over the other.

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    For me it's pretty easy, I prefer nature over cities anytime especially if beach is involved, but I agree that we can't say that one is cheaper than other, it really depends on the place where you're going. If we go to a high profile beach location we will pay as much as staying in London.

11. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer nature over cities 100% of the time. I love nature and when I go on vacation it's an adventure vacation where I'd explore and do all sorts of fun nature activities like hike, climb, zipline, snorkel, etc.

Maybe if I went on vacation often I'd visit cities but I just can't imagine it. I feel like there's so much more to see and do in nature.

12. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    Going to the beach or forest is going to be more expensive because you would need to rent transportation to go there. Cities are usually more accessible from the airport because you can simply take a cab or train to go there. However, you can easily get bored with cities because it will always look the same. You only see office buildings, parks, and shopping malls, that's about it. With nature, you have more activities to do.

13. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The question of which of the two is cheaper aside, I think personal preferences play a role in determining your favorite vacation spot. Those who love shopping and clubbing would choose to visit a city while those who love scenery/nature/camping would prefer a quieter spot in the country. Because I like camping and hiking, I'd definitely go for nature. And anyway it's a lot cheaper.

14. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Camping is no doubt cheaper, but sometimes staying in the nature is more expensive than some cities, especially if we are staying near the beach in summertime. I think that cheap choices can be made both in nature and in the cities, it's really a matter of what we are up to.

15. khillis

khillisMember

Threads:
    I am fond of both; I love the cultural aspects of city centres, but I love being outdoors in the country. I do find whenever we go to the city (we actually just got back from Montreal- we spend a lot more). That is due to dining out, hotels, etc. In the country we are generally at my cottage or camping, which are much cheaper. I like a balance of the two though.

16. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That is a good point, in some cities we do spend more, depending if we have all included or not. If I am staying in the country I will try to have a kitchen to cook so that it's not as expensive, but then again having someone to cook for me of course it will be more expensive.

17. kindredsoul

kindredsoulNew Member

Threads:
    I was just thinking about this question today, because I really feel like I want to get away and go somewhere. Since I live in the city I want to visit any place with lots of grass and trees. I live in Las Vegas, Nevada so I am used to dirt, dirt and more dirt. Oh, and nice rock formations. I like to camp and this is quite economical, though I have noticed that the price for campsites have gone up in the recent years. Still, it is more economical than a cheap hotel. As long as there is hot showers at the site, I am very happy.

You wrote that you "just want to avoid noise." Yes, I feel the same. That is why I enjoy nature. There is so much noise going on in my head that I need a quiet space to get rid of all that noise. Noise that says stuff like "Are you working hard enough?" "Are you being a good enough mother?" "Should you go back to school?" Blah, blah, blah. Ugh...I really do like the serenity of nature.

#17Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2014
  18. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That is so true kindred. I once went to visit a friend that lives in the mountains and stayed there for one week. When I returned my lungs were not accustomed to so much smoke, it's really incredible the pollution that the big cities have!

19. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    Without a doubt, I would choose nature. I am so sick of the noise and traffic and would love nothing more than to rent a cabin that is isolated up in the mountains. I would love to use a wood burning stove, go hiking and exploring, smelling the unique aroma of pine trees and hear nothing but birds, chipmunks and the wind blowing through the trees. To have a outdoor fire burning at night to roast a marshmallow, watch the bats as they come out of the trees to eat as many mosquito as they can! To see the stars at midnight with no city lights at all. Sigh, I can almost smell the pine now.

20. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Every summer I spend at least one week in a small city by the beach and I never miss the big city in fact whenever I return I feel somewhat city and everything seems grayer than before, so I am like you amy, a true nature and especially beach lover.