Fear of flying?

Discussion in Travel started by sarz • Mar 6, 2014.

1. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I personally enjoy flying as a child I travelled quite frequently and remember the excitement of going into the cockpit. A luxury that in light of recent events is often prohibited these days.

My ears do pop for about a week after and sucking boiled sweets does not work for me. But that aside I find it an exciting and enjoyable experience.

If you do fear flying whay is it about that scares you and how do you cope with flying or has it stopped you from travelling by plane at all?

2. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    There was a period in my life where I've been so afraid of flying that I've gotten to a paranoid state during take-off.

However, due to an improvement in technology, it's been safer for people to fly these days. I'm not saying that it would be impossible to crash, I'm just aware that plane manufacturers have learned from their mistakes and they try to do everything to improve plane functionalities.

I love flying! :)

3. Adryan

AdryanMember

Threads:
    Use to have this kind of fear when i small but now i love flying.I laugh at myself remembering the way i use to get scared while flying!!!!:D;)

4. Guru

GuruMember

Threads:
    I didn't like flying when I was younger but I don't mind it all now. I usually just put some earphones in, listen to some music or watch a movie on my phone or tablet. Another option is just to sleep. The only real way of getting over your fear of flying is to fly unfortunately.

5. Mafdet

MafdetMember

Threads:
    I love flying too. And it's a lot safer than driving. It has so many advantages that I wouldn't even know where to start. The only inconvenience is the long check-in process. i don't like waiting. But I guess that the short time it takes me to get from one place to another compensates for that inconvenience.

6. erikao1o

erikao1oMember

Threads:
    I definitely understand when people have a fear of flying. One of my ex-boyfriends was really scared of flying. Before we would fly anywhere, he would always have to get drunk. It was horrible, and a bit embarrassing for me! I always felt really bad for him, and I would try to calm him down. He would always freak out the most during take-off and landing.

7. winsomenotions

winsomenotionsMember

Threads:
    I also understand why people are scared of flying but I personally am not. I don't see what there is to be afraid of. The chances of a crash are unlikely and no one will hijack the plane. One of my close friends is afraid of flying because the plane is not in her control and if something happens there is nothings she can do about it. I've flown since I was young though, so I guess I never considered the downsides of flying until I was already accustomed to it.

8. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I was never scared of flying until recently when I heard of the news about the missing Malaysia Airlines plane. I imagine how it must be for the passengers and also for the relatives. I wonder why they can't still find any clue as to where the plane is and what happened. It gives me chills whenever I think that all of those passengers had no idea that would happen to them.

9. mrjohny

mrjohnyNew Member

Threads:
    Oh, personally I like to fly, I trust in that airlines really cares to give a good service, with good pilots and airplanes.
    Accidentes are very rare.
    My wife is afriad to fly, she never has flied, but I am sure, that in some future vacation would be a requiriment if we are planning to go further.
    I hope to help her.

10. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    The first time I flew, it was already a 12 hour long flight. I was given several LEGO toys during the flight and also little puzzles (I was 8). It really was a fun experience if I think back on it. On one of the transfers, I forgot my LEGO toy, else I would have had a nice load of new LEGO blocks.

11. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love flying on big jets. I feel great and have hardly any problems apart from that sick feeling in my gut when the plane starts accelerating and lifts off the ground. Even when there is a lot of air turbulence, I don't feel much affected by it. However, when it comes to small planes, I get so sick that all I can do is bend forward and close my eyes for the rest of the flight, which is usually an inland flight and thankfully short. I don't know what it is exactly that makes me feel like that.

12. Nicole87

Nicole87Member

Threads:
    I've never been afraid of flying. In fact, I find it rather exciting.

I don't even get why so many people are afraid to fly because statistically flying is 22 times more safer than driving a car.

The only thing about flying that I don't like is the cost of plane tickets.

13. Jrh2

Jrh2Member

Threads:
    When I was a child I didn't like flying at all, I didn't like it when the plane took of or landed, I got scared when the plane tilted sideways to turn around and I hated going through the clouds as I didn't like not being able to see anything. Basically the only thing I like was seeing the land from a birds eye view and I was always surprised at how many swimming pools you could see from above. One year we went away on quite a lot of weekends away and then because of having to go on a plane so many times I got used to it and was no longer concerned about flying. Now the only bit of flying I really hate is when your ears pop as sometimes it takes ages to get them to pop back again.

14. Scottie

ScottieMember

Threads:
    I have a fear of flying as well. It is bad to the point that I will start losing sleep over it days, even more than a week before the flight. This fear developed recently over the past 4 years or so, I was fine with flying before that. With terrorism now and a these extremist who are willing to kill and die for their beliefs scares me! And also the missing Malaysian plane, that made it even worst! Who can a plane go missing in this day and age of technology!? :(

15. canoe

canoeMember

Threads:
    I've recently become paranoid of traveling and I'm not sure if it's something I'll be able to cure. The reason I fear flying is because of the absolute loss of control over your life and consequently own fate/destiny you have over the plane ride. If something goes wrong with the plane or the pilot screws up, you're pretty much dead. There is absolutely nothing you can do in that small aluminium covered cabin. The thought that I'll have no control over my life for those few hours makes me hate flying with a passion.

16. yossup

yossupMember

Threads:
    Flying is terrifying. The recent events with malaysian airlines 3070 certainly don't help either. It's frightening because you know that if something goes even slightly wrong mid-air, you'll die. So whenever the plane shakes a lot during a ride, or there's a bunch of weird noise that doesn't sound 'right', it immediately grabs your attention.

17. fruii29

fruii29Member

Threads:
    I really don't fear flying. I fear the thought of falling or crashing. I remember my first flight, I am scared to death as to how the flight will be. Will our plane crash? Will we be experiencing heavy turbulence, and the like. After landing, I realized my worries were nothing. I've felt the safest flight. I am really thankful with the pilot, the aircraft and the weather and of course, God, for keeping the whole trip safe. I will never forget that trip. Now, whenever I get on a plane I will always remember my first flight.

18. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I went on a plane a few time as a kid but I didn't worry about as many things then. I imagine flying as a scary and uncomfortable experience now. I would not want to be on a plane for more than an hour. Probably because I don't like being around lots of people. It's not like a car where you can just stop somewhere when you need to. If something or someone started to bother me there's nothing you can do until the flight is over.

19. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I am fine with flying. Sure there is a little fear if you're traveling for hours - something could happen, etc. My husband is pretty afraid though. He will sometimes get medication from the doctor. But, it does factor in to where we go on trips. For example, we went to Niagara Falls for our honeymoon because we could drive in a few hours. We did recently take a last minute trip that required us to fly, but he was on medication.

20. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    I don't really fear flying much at all, but I know a lot of people that do, and the thing that seems to scare them the most is the fact that they have no control. If the plane starts to go down they feel like there is nothing they can do except fall.