Clearance items

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by winsomenotions • Mar 9, 2014.

1. winsomenotions

winsomenotionsMember

Threads:
    If you are going shopping are there stores where you ever just go directly to the clearance section? There definitely are some for me. Certain stores have reasonable and affordable regular priced items while others just don't. When I go to Cotton On, for example, I go straight to clearance because they have great deals. Do you see any downsides to buying clearance clothing? Sometimes I can tell they are outdated or some of them are torn and I don't notice until I've made the purchase. Some stores have a terrible clearance selection that's not even worth looking at though. What are your shopping habits when it comes to clearance items?

2. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I almost always go to the clearance or sales racks first. Especially if I'm not looking for anything in particular, like I'm just browsing, then that's usually where I head to first. I figure I might as see if I can get something I like at a lower cost before I pay full-price for something. For the most part, clearance racks at the stores I shop at are either just stuff that's a little out-of-season or items where you can tell they had way too many of a certain item leftover and are trying to get rid of them.

3. costin

costinActive Member

Threads:
    I don`t know why people are afraid about clearance items, you can save money, if you give them a try.
    Probably, the incredible low price tells them that the products include flaws, sometimes it`s true, but these are rare examples.
    If you analyze carefully the clearance products, you will see you are in front of irresistable bargains;)

4. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    Unless I am looking for something very specific, I always head straight to the clearance racks. Most stores have a great variety on those racks, and I am not exactly known for being fashion forward. I want clothes that I can afford, are comfortable and look good. I do not usually by seasonal clothes on there because I never know how much my kids will actually grow before that season comes along again.

5. RaidAurora

RaidAuroraMember

Threads:
    I jump straight for the clearance section, and also maraud thrift stores when I can. Getting things more than 50% off is probably one of the most exciting things you can do, especially when you use the money you saved to buy another thing 50% off. It's pure value.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    if there is a sales rack in the store I'm going to, no matter what store it is, I will go check the sales rack. I always find great stuff on sale. But there are some stores that I'm always looking forward to the clearance rack. Stores like Topshop and Zara are stores I love but never buy from because they're too expensive, so I'll go look in the clearance rack and I'm always happy to find great items for cheaper.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    For clothing, yes! In fact, pretty much any store I go into will have me headed straight to the back to find a clearance section. I don't tend to find the clothes that outdated even...maybe by a couple months at most, but I'm the type that wears clothes for years at a time, so I don't keep up with the latest fashion anyway.

8. DebValentine

DebValentineNew Member

Threads:
    We always shop clearance and if I can't afford other stores, I go to goodwill or salvation army. Fashion means nothing to me, I don't care what some designer came out with o what model is wearing what. I sea what I like, and if I can get that cheaply, I will. If nothing else, I can get my gf to make me something. Lol

9. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I love when stores have clearance bins, it's feels like a little adventure, you never know what treasure you might find :)

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to say that I don't really trust the clearance section. If I see items in the clearance basket in pharmacies or in health food stores I already know that they are almost out of date and the store is trying to get rid of the products quickly. Some of those items are more than a year old.
    As for clothes, I have occasionally found something that I liked outside a shop on special sale, but I very rarely look at the clearance section in supermarkets.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I look at the clearance sections in stores but I rarely find anything there that I need. For example ,Walmart's clearance section this week is full of fishing supplies, automotive accessories and toys.
    Since my child is a teen, I don't fish and I don't drive, those discounts weren't relevant to me. I'll look at clearance items, but if they don't have anything that applies to me, I walk away.

12. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    It doesn't matter what store I go in, I always like to take a look at the clearance rack. Sometimes you can find really good deals on items. You can also find huge savings when you have a coupon that you can use on the clearance item. Target is one of my favorite stores to look at the clearance items. Many times I am able to find clothes on the clearance rack for my daughter, and sometimes great deals on diapers.

13. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only start in the clearance section if I'm at a clothing store. Otherwise, I'll make my way over there eventually at other stores. I don't mind paying full price for most items, but you just can't beat the rare lucky find in the clearance section. If I can save a few bucks, then I'll give it a shot. I see no reason to avoid the clearance section after all. The other day I saved $20 on an item by checking out clearance items before heading anywhere else.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I almost always go straight to the clearance section first because those items tend to have a limited existence whereas the regular items would presumably be there for a while. I usually don't find anything there though, but I still like browsing it anyway and I'd say that finding one or two items that I really like once in a while is worth the time and effort to check it regularly.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't usually notice them, but when I do, I make it a point to check it out as well. I notice them at the supermarket the most, they would usually place those "buy one, take one" signs, and they usually have a section for those clearance items in the middle part of the supermarket.

16. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    Only at Target do I specifically look for clearance items.
    Everywhere else, I sort of glance if I see the sign, but don't particularly go out of my way to find. Generally though, I always figure that a clearance also means discontinued by the manufacturer and depending on the item, that may not be a good thing. Alternatively, could also mean the product is just terrible and that's why I have to whip out the phone and look up the reviews on Amazon first.

17. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    If it's clothing I go straight to the clearance or sale section. In fact I probably buy the bulk of my wardrobe from these areas and never think twice about it. I think you have to check any piece of clothing for missing buttons, stains or tears so taking a moment or two to do it on clearance clothing isn't any different for me than the usual. I also check the clearance/sale section in other stores. The only place I am hesitant to do so is when it comes to food or medicine, even if there is an expiration date on it something about clearance food just makes me nervous.

18. AugustGreig

AugustGreigMember

Threads:
    I know that every time I go to Kroger's. I go straight to the end of the meat case to the manger's special area. That is where they always mark down meat that is getting ready to hit the sell by date. The meat is perfectly fine as long as you cook it or freeze it the same day. I'm a little more catious with fish, because it was usually already frozen, so you shouldn't freeze it again. But you can cook it right away and it's fine.

19. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I pretty much only buy clothes on clearance. I always shop for them at the end of a season, when they are marked down to almost nothing, then save them in my closet for when the weather is appropriate to wear them. I've gotten some killer deals on stuff like $250 jackets for $40, $75 shirts for $8 - I never pay full price for clothes. The only time I would was if I absolutely needed something right away, like a new suit for a job interview or something like that.

Food I am more apprehensive about, since it's likely really old and past its expiration date. But if something has merely been discontinued and I like it, I will snatch up what is left.

Medicine and other pharmaceuticals, no thanks. I'm not taking chances with that stuff going bad.

20. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I mainly always shop on the clearance section of the store. There are a lot of great items for prices that you cannot find anywhere else. The only time I do not shop on clearance is when I am looking for a specific item. I like shopping for clothes and electronics when there is a clearance sale going on.