How do you deal with a cat that is in heat?

Discussion in Pets started by daniellemx • Mar 12, 2014.

1. daniellemx

daniellemxNew Member

Threads:
    My cat has recently gotten into the age where she is going into heat. She cries and howls for hours on end and I am losing my sanity. I've booked an appointment to get her spayed however they aren't able to get me in for another month. Have you ever had this problem? How did you quiet her down or at least keep your sanity? She is driving me, and probably my neighbors, crazy.

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would say most important is that you keep her locked up. You don't want to end up with a whole litter of kittens and have difficulties finding homes for them. Just sit it out. Your vet appointment is not far away. Just let your cat express itself as it wants. It will be the last time it can do that...

3. ladybug

ladybugMember

Threads:
    Hopefully at the time of this writing you were able to get your cat spayed! If it were me, I would've probably called around to some different veterinary clinics or somewhere like Petsmart to see if I could get my cat in sooner, but I applaud you for your patience because the females can drive you batty when they're in heat. I'm definitely glad that I have a male for that very reason! Best of luck to you and I'm sure once she's taken care of she'll be the perfect little furry companion for you! :)

4. soultakerkage

soultakerkageMember

Threads:
    I am assuming that you have already spayed your cat. But spaying/neutering your cat is always the best option. There are many clinics in my area that do not charge full price to have this done for your pet. Doing a little a research in your area for anyone who is having the same problem is the best thing to do.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Honestly, getting her fixed is the only true solution.

There's not a whole lot you can do to calm her down during that time. You could pet her and give her a bunch of attention to keep her a bit quieter potentially, but even that might not work.

6. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Yep, bane of all cat owners with cats that are not 'fixed'. When my cat would go into heat and meow at the moon for ages I found that coating her in warm water did the trick for a half hour to an hour. I mean COATING her. Sopping wet. She would them find a place to sit on her booty and clean herself off. Occupying her mouth for that time. Of course, this is only temporary and there are times when the second she is done she's back to the howl.

7. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    Cats don't ovulate until they mate, so if they are in heat and not allowed to mate they will keep going into heat again and again. The heat will last about a week, then about 2 weeks without heat and then it will start again. Hopefully you already spayed her and the behavior has stopped. But for anyone else who might read this, it's cruel to have your cat go through all those unnecessary heat cycles she can have in her lifespan. Fixing a cat is not just to prevent unwanted litters but also it helps the cat be healthier and happier.

8. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Its been a while since I've had a cat but when I did I remember she was really young less than 6 months old, it was the funniest thing to have her meowing all over the house with cats sitting outside in the yard big eyed waiting for me to let her out. She finally got spayed and that stopped thankfully. But I didn't find it annoying I found it funny, so it didn't bother me too much.