Favourite Chain Grocery Store?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Manny • Mar 12, 2014.

1. Manny

MannyMember

Threads:
    What's your favourite grocery store?

Where I live, the main options are IGA, Provigo and Metro. I'd have to say Provigo is the best, but they're not as common as the others. The one nearest me is IGA and it's really not as good as the other two.

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My favorite American grocery store chain is Trader Joe's for food and Target for everything else. I particularly love Trader Joe's for their refrigerated and frozen foods, it's the only store I'll buy those from. They are more expensive, but incomparable in quality and taste to the ones you find in places like Walmart. I like Target for toiletries, beverages, cleaning supplies and overall stuff you can't find at Trader Joe's. I also love them for drugstore makeup, they are cheaper at Target than in places like Walgreens and CVS.

3. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    I love HEB! They have the best fruits and veggies section! Also, they have in store coupons and I am a lazy shopper, I won't clip coupons however HEB puts the coupons right in front of the product and they have things like buy one of there brand ketchup get a mustard for free. Also, they have this little area where they have people making fresh suschi everyday and it is so good!

4. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    I love whole foods. I can't always afford it but, when I walk into the whole food I am likely to discover something I've never heard of. I also like knowing that I am eating healthy food that is GMO free. Sometime I pick up fruit and seeds there as well.

5. ghostwheel

ghostwheelMember

Threads:
    I've been shopping in Morrisons a lot more in the UK recently.

They've recently reduced a lot of their basic foods (ie. £1 for 3 bags of oranges - 15 oranges!)
    Apparently, their overall sales have taken a hit so they've deliberately reduced the price of many food products to compete against other budget grocery stores.

6. winsomenotions

winsomenotionsMember

Threads:
    My favorite chain store is Publix by far. I love Publix. Most of their store brand products are pretty good and I really like their organic brand, Greenwise. They have a lot of options, a lot of locations, and great customer service. They are known for being good with customers and they have never let me down. I often take part in their buy one get one free deals as well as other deals. Publix is great for food as well as other products for around the house and I go there all the time. I also like Whole Foods, but Publix is a much cheaper alternative.

7. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I don't like any of them. I find that they price gauge. I prefer Walmart Supercenter. When i first started shopping at Walmart, i could not believe their grocery prices. i have been a loyal customer from that day on.

8. CSomm

CSommMember

Threads:
    I live in the US, but very near to Canada, and I have to say that Meijer is by far the best grocery store available around the US/Canada border in the Midwest. It's not trying to be fancy like Target, or dirt-cheap and full of swindles like Walmart. I like Publix as well, and if money was no object I'd definitely shop more at a Trader Joe's or a Whole Foods.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like Publix too. The cashiers are very sweet and polite, the stores are clean and smell good, and they are coupon friendly and have a lot of weekly sales. You can use two coupons on their BoGo items and it's almost as good as doubling coupons, which no stores in South Florida do.

10. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I love Trader Joe's and Whole Paycheck but they are building many Walmart Express stores in my area, which is fantastic!

The main reason being that the Express stores do not sell furniture, electronics, or home items like linens or sewing equipment. Unlike regular Walmart, these only sell fresh and frozen food items, house maintenance products, cosmetics and medicine.

These stores are clean (so far), well-stocked, spacious and the staff seems happy,

11. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I love Whole Foods and Trader Joes! (I also like Acme, to an extent.) Trader Joes are usually small, but they always have a very nice atmosphere in them. Whole Foods, to me, just feels like a posh version of a grocery store. I love them the most though, because they're an international chain, so I can still find my favorite foods when I'm over in say, England.

12. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I didn't know they had IGA's in Canada, learn something new every day. I had only seen them in my area (Northeastern Ohio), and hadn't noticed them anywhere else when traveling.

One of my favorite chain grocery stores currently, would be Heinen's. It's a small local chain here in the Cleveland area. They are pricey, but not as bad as Whole Foods. The whole store is just so much nicer inside though, and the employees are always very helpful. They also keep their produce stocked with just about everything under the sun, and they have a lot of really good prepared foods - not just your usual run of the mill TV dinner type stuff. They will make heated sandwiches and stir frys to order. They roast their own coffee beans, and the people working their cheese counter really know the cheeses well, and can help you pair them with wines. They even have guys who will load your groceries into your car for you (they don't allow the buggies outside of the store) - you just drop your cart off with them, and they give you a number, and you pull up with your number, and they load your car up. Their own store brand products are really good as well.

Giant Eagle, which is a staple in this area, is apparently feeling pressure from stores like Heinen's and Trader Joes now, because they too have started revamping their stores and making them into these giant food shopping centers. They are calling them their "Market District" stores, and there are only a few of them currently, but they are huge. They're more like a food mall, which would perhaps be a better way of describing them. As soon as you walk in, there are a series of separate "shops", a florist, a caterer, several restaurants such as a burger joint, a sushi place, a candy store, a pizza shop and others. Then there is a commons area where you can sit down and eat. From there they have a bulk foods section, a big section of hand crafted olive oils and other specialty goods, as well as a larger section of prepared foods. Then there is the regular "grocery store" part of it, as well as a station where they do cooking lessons. Behind that, a wine tasting booth sponsored by Wolfgang Puck. Before you hit the checkouts, there is a whole "spa" section - it's kind of like having a Bath & Body Works in the grocery store. You can even order all of your groceries online, and they will have them delivered to your car so you don't even have to walk around the store - it's only a $5 charge to do this.

13. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Talking about IGA, I wouldn't know where I'd be without them. Here in my region, they have best range of health foods and are open 7 days a week from early until late. I can order everything I want through them, which I frequently do. They have a lot of European delicacies that I miss here in Australia. Even though their prices are not exactly cheap, I still splash out to get those rare items that I crave.

14. Neperon

NeperonActive Member

Threads:
    Mine is Target and that is the store which i prefer even more then Walmart because at target costumer satisfaction Ratio is better compare to other places and that is what does matter the most because finally its about needs and what goes comfortable for us.

15. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I have a few different favorites.

I love Aldi's for all of the pantry basics....flour, crackers, sugar, condiments, etc.

For all the other things that I prefer fresh (like meats and produce), I use either Kroger's or ShopRite, depending on my location at the time. Shoprite is on the east coast and Kroger's is the midwest.

16. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My favorite is Trader Joe's. I have been shopping with them for years. I also love Sprouts Farmers Market. They moved into my neighborhood two years ago. They have a great bulk food section and better produce than Trader Joe's.

When I lived in Las Vegas, I shopped at Fresh and Easy. They are a combination of Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. They aren't many stores in California and they recently declared bankruptcy.

17. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    Although I no longer live near one, King Sooper's was/is my favorite. They are under Kroger Foods. I loved that store's prices and they had awesome sales. They also offered grocery delivery for just $5 when I frequented them. This was back in 1997 to early 2000. It was a real life-saver because I didn't drive and had two small children.

They even carried the groceries in, and we lived on the third floor. I would do one major shopping trip once a month. I always felt a little guilty about the people carrying the groceries up all the stairs, so I would help and offer a tip. they always refused the tip.

Anytime I am in an area that has a King Sooper, I always shop there. I love them.

18. Fauxpat

FauxpatMember

Threads:
    Winn Dixie is by far my favorite grocery store. The potential for savings is insane! Not only are there weekly BOGO sales for various meats, but they also have a pretty lenient coupon policy, too. The best thing, however, is that they've partnered with Shell for their Fuel Rewards program. Last night the wife and I did a little bit of shopping for the week and walked away saving 40 cents a gallon on our next fill up.

19. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    In the US I will say I have three. One is a mom and pop butcher's shop called 9th Street Meat Market, another would be Randall's and the last is just Walmart. I secretly hate Walmart, but not everything is always cheap at Randall's. I want to find a different store to go too instead of Walmart. Sadly my options are limited.

20. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I have two favorites, Trader Joe's and Shop-Rite. I go to Shop-Rite for the basics because the prices seriously cannot be beat. If you have one of their store cards you can combine that with coupons and get some great deals. I go to Trader Joe's for the bulk of my food shopping, I like the selection and for the items they have I think the prices are more reasonable than other stores such as Whole Foods (which I like but is expensive to shop at).