Apple laptops or PC laptops?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by angelicagapit • Mar 12, 2014.

1. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    Which do you think are better for media purposes?

I'm interested in buying a new laptop, however I don't know which brand I should buy. I want to use a laptop that is easy to use in terms of video editing and Photoshopping. I'm interested in the media aspects, so which should I buy, Apple or PC?

Thanks! Any recommendation and explanation will help.

2. costin

costinActive Member

Threads:
    Apple is famous for video editing and other media tasks, although when I laid my fingers on my sister`s MacBook Air, I wasn`t very impressed.
    I own an Asus NX90Jq, an hybrid between tablet and netbook, featuring an Intel i7 820QM processor, NVIDIA GT 335M and 640GB storage capacity. It`s what I need for advertising creation or gaming;)

3. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    I would recommend you to go with a windows-based laptop. I say this because windows laptops are a lot cheaper when compared to the apple macbooks. Windows as a platform is hugely supported as it is used by billions of people across the globe. And considering that your main requirements are in terms of video editing and photoshopping, it would be more beneficial to buy a windows laptop as the number of applications on the windows platform are more then the ones available for the Mac OSX.

4. Manny

MannyMember

Threads:
    I have a macbook and don't have any complaints other than it heats up quite a bit and the fan can be loud at times. It really varies depending on your specific needs. I'd recommend going to a store that sells both and ask about which would be better for what you need.

5. Chia

ChiaMember

Threads:
    I would recommend a PC laptop. Try to aim for anything that has a core equivalent to a core i5 for above with around 4 GB of ram with your preferred amount of storage space. Obviously there are a lot more factors to weigh in that just these but they are the basis you should start searching on. That should be enough for your needs. Keep in mind all chips aren't the same. You can look up the benchmark and see how if performs compared to the price of the laptop. I personally have a PC with an i3 processor and 3gb of ram that I got for 350 and don't have any problems doing graphics editing and video editing, but I keep my laptop highly optimized.

6. bobthemuffinman

bobthemuffinmanNew Member

Threads:
    If I had an unlimited budget I would go with Apple laptops. The build quality is extremely high, and also the trackpad feels amazing and doesn't track terribly like some other trackpads (Acer). But if I had a limited budget I would go with a PC, I can get a much faster machine for the same price.

7. RaidAurora

RaidAuroraMember

Threads:
    I'd go with a Windows-based laptop. While the operating system is more prone to viruses, the price is much lower for a machine of the same quality and antivirus software you can get for free guarantees that any virus you see would be eliminated rapidly. Microsoft Security Essentials is wonderful. Apple is notoriously incompatible with games, although their video/audio editing software for desktops has a fair bit of acclaim.

8. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    We made the full switch to all Apple computers about 5 years ago and will never go back. The fact is, they truly are superior in many ways, not just the uses you seek (which, previous posters are correct, Apple is known for its superior programs for music, media, graphic design, etc).

To me, PC's are the accessible computer. They are for everyone, especially people who don't really need a computer. They are cheap, they are easy, and you replace them about every 2 years because it is not only affordable, but necessary to do so. This also means they are susceptible to hackers and viruses, and crap, and slowing down.

Apples, at least, though not perfect, are still the vast minority so hackers are trying to hack them and send crap viruses to them.

I like the way Apple products also automatically synch together and are all compatible. (The iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, etc.) My biggest complaint with non-computer Apple products is that they become obsolete before you get your money's worth. It seems upgrading to the new iPhone comes quicker than I'd like to drop another $500 for.

9. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    I think your choice shouldn't be based on the operating system but rather on the specs. In my opinion and since you are interested in graphics, buy a laptop with powerful graphic card and processing ability. Any laptop with core i7 processor will suit you well. And, an apple laptop might cost too much.

10. micah13

micah13Member

Threads:
    I suggest a Windows machine. You're buying quality with a Mac, but at a higher price, and you can do what you need just as well with a Windows machine, and have the added ability to use the larger market for software supported by Windows machines. Macs can't run a lot of Windows software without modifications or workarounds.

11. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    The only time I recommend someone gets an Apple over a PC is when they are looking for exactly what you are looking for (video and photo editing). Other than that PC's are typically the better option.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Macs are too expensive, considering that you can get a Windows laptop for a much lower price. It also can't run most applications especially games, so I think you're not getting the most out of your money if you buy a Mac, so I would suggest that you just buy a Windows laptop instead.

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest I've never had a MAC, only PCs, so I wouldn't know how to compare them. But I find MAC a tad too elitist, it's like an only child that only likes to play by itself... their formats just for for MAC, the programs are specific... having a PC is more convenient and easy I think. Also, MAC is way more expensive, and I don't know how much it's worth to pay that much more for an Apple laptop. I like my little ASUS and plan to stick to it!

14. CSomm

CSommMember

Threads:
    All you really need to know is that both options are perfectly acceptable. Windows machines are cheaper and are going to die faster, and Apple machines are going to break the bank but last (and be relevant to the tasks you need performed) for a much longer time. In the end, the money situation evens out---I buy Mac because I don't like having to setup a new machine every year and get comfortable with it right before it dies.

15. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    My vote is for a Windows based laptop, but it really boils down to your own comfort level with either you use. If you're really going to be using the shortcuts and are willing to pay a very high price, I'd say go for a Mac. However, if you are going for something that is reasonably priced but will still give you a great quality product, go for a windows based laptop. There are a plethora of brands to choose from, but make sure you choose one that has a decent amount of RAM, a great sound card, and a great video card; since you are using it for media purposes.

16. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with you. MAC has it's own world, whereas PC is very convenient due to the fact that it can be versatile and work in other ways. What works with MAC doesn't really work with other systems. As you said, "It's like an only child that only likes to play by itself." What's for MAC is only for MAC.

It is very pricey as well, so might as well get something affordable and versatile like a PC computer or laptop.

17. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    You are better off with a Windows-based laptop over Apple laptops. Apple laptops are expensive, but that is not the reason I would not go after one. I would not go after one because Windows computers are just plain better and have much higher compatibility and functionality. Hardly anyone has Apple computers, so of course barely anyone targets their computers with viruses. Most of everyone has a Windows computer not only because it is less expensive, but the specs are greater. And let us be honest, Windows set the trend for computers long before Apple finally caught on.

18. ttchoubs

ttchoubsNew Member

Threads:
    I would seriously recommend a PC. For the price of an Apple computer, you could get a machine that out preforms the Apple computer by a big margin. Having a pc is also great because you can open it up and replace several parts and upgrade your laptop as you desire.

What I would personally do is take the money I would have spent on an Apple, and use only half of that money towards getting a PC. I'd get a very high-performance machine, and I'd still have money left over.

19. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the laptops I've used have been Toshiba's and have done fine with photo editing but I have heard that Apples are suppose to be the top brand of laptops. Now-a-days I would I would opt to just get a laptop over a PC less cumbersome and the portability of a laptop is a plus.

20. outdoorgal

outdoorgalMember

Threads:
    I love my Toshiba laptop. I've used both Mac and pc's, but most familiar with the pc, so I stick with them. I would like to try a Mac, as an extra, maybe turn out to be my main, but they are out of my reach price-wise.