Does your computer monitor give you a headache?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by mistymi • Mar 14, 2014.

1. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I have an ASUS VX238 LED monitor. It's great but I think it might be giving me a headache and might have something to do with the fact that it's an LED monitor or maybe just the incredible brightness even on the lowest brightness settings. What computer monitor do you have? Do LED monitors bother you is it just from staring at screen too long? I had an LCD monitor before and don't remember getting headaches and I've read an article and forum posts of people complaining about LED monitors and headaches due to some type of flicker. I'm considering getting a new monitor that's LCD. I don't really notice a difference in quality either. Do you like the monitor you have and would you recommend any?

2. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    My computer monitor does give me a headache, but I didn't really know that it was because of the monitor. I just thought that too much exposure to radiation and bright screens can cause headaches. However, I didn't know that it was the model of your monitor that is also a factor when getting headaches.

Try resting your head after staying too long in front of the computer. If headaches still kick in during a short period of time, then it probably is your monitor. I honestly like my monitor. It's fine just the way it is, but it's not the cause of my headaches. The causes of my headaches are health problems, such as lack of sleep, hunger, or dehydration. Once I satisfy my hunger or thirst, I'm back to normal and I can continue doing what I'm doing on my computer.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had no idea that a monitor could induce a headache. I use an old-school TFT monitor but I'm not sure if it's the best monitor to use. Anyway for all you guys battling eye-strain problems I came across something that could be helpful:

4. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I use to go through the same problem with a Siemens computer screen a few years ago. It was bright and I was often close to it and it just started making my head stiff to the point where I had to tone down the screen contrast and that seemed to do the trick. I now use an Acer laptop and I have zero problems with it. I get no headaches at all. Thank goodness.

#4Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a laptop, and wouldn't know what kind of monitor it is. I am sure it is written here somewhere. I adjust the brightness often, as I tend to get more eye strain than headache. I remember having a protective screen over the monitor I had a few years ago. It was reducing radiation and glare. I am sure you will be able to get something similar if you ask around computer stores. I felt so much better with that protective shield. Don't put up with that extreme brightness, get another monitor, protect your health.

6. tinyfang

tinyfangMember

Threads:
    To lessen the effects of stress from staring at a monitor, take a good 15-30 minute break from it every hour or so, carefully rub your closed eyes with a cool washcloth, look at something else at a distance and put some eye drops in it. Also, keep at least 2 feet from your monitor.

Having said that, I also use a 'day time dimmer' called F.Lux. It adjusts the tone and brightness of the monitor depending on the time of day and position of your location. This helps eases eye strain.

I also do not use my ceiling light. I find the artificial white colour to be glaringly uncomfortable. So I use two desk lamps. One of them has the yellowish bulb face upward against the wall. The other is a halogen with a small bulb that faces inward on itself. These two lights causes a comfortable lounge-like environment.

Also to drink enough water and have air flow into your room if you're in a small room. Stretch and minor exercising also helps.

7. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I have rarely experienced that. All I know that the CRT displays were the ones that caused headaches. I could not use that thing for more than 2 hours before my eyes were dripping with tears plus another throbbing headache. I think LCD and LED are way safer to use on a long term basis.

8. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I used my video card control panel to set the brightness to the absolute lowest and don't think I notice any sort of headache now. Games and movies are incredibly dark but it's fine for reading black on white. I still want to get and LCD monitor when I can afford it though.

#8Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    What size is your monitor? I noticed when I upgraded to a larger monitor a couple of years ago (I believe the one I got now is 29"), that it was much easier on the eyes to look at. In fact, that's one of the main reasons I seldom use my laptop on a regular basis anymore. Also, you should check your resolution settings, to make sure your computer is running at it's optimal resolution - otherwise everything will look blurrier and be more difficult to read. You may also want to try calibrating your monitor to get more natural tones and colors. Often times, places like Best Buy will crank up all their TV's and monitors to the highest saturation and contrast settings to make them look brighter than other models.

I wouldn't rule out external factors as well. Do you use energy saving bulbs? Many of the fluorescent ones naturally "flicker" at a high rate, which has been the cause of concern in recent years as people switch over from incandescent bulbs.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have used CRT and LCD monitors, and my head never really ached, but my eyes just felt blurry when I'm staring at the monitor for a long period of time. I guess if LED monitors give you a headache then you should switch back to LCD monitors then.

11. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I'm on a laptop with an LCD monitor now. It's hard to find LCD monitors though, even online. I went to Best Buy and Fry's and all their monitors were LED. Online, the selection is limited and older cheaper LCD monitors are out of stock.

12. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    I don't get a headache from the screen brightness or the refresh rate. I get a headache from my monitor being too low. So I am always looking down which hurts my neck and gives me a headache.

13. Chia

ChiaMember

Threads:
    I do wake up with headaches sometimes. I don't know if this is because I was staring at a bright laptop before bed or if it was the position I was laying in while I was using it. Either way both would be because of the laptop. I never used to experience headaches before I had a laptop so i'm almost certain that my laptop is the cause whatever the trigger is, I don't know.

14. starfox64

starfox64Active Member

Threads:
    I work at a job that requires me to look at a computer screen for quite awhile. I suggest using google chrome and adding the extension, "Hacker Vision". It makes the screen black where there is white and really helps with eye strain and headaches. Try it out!

15. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    This happens to me everyday. When that happens, i take it to mean that i have been looking at the screen too long. I usually take a 30 minute break, and rinse my eyes out. That usually stops the headache.

16. SireStryder

SireStryderNew Member

Threads:
    I used to get headaches and eye soreness because I spent large periods of time on my computer. One of the things I tried was a small program called F.lux which changes the temperature of your monitor based on the time of day. It is supposed to help with eye strain and maybe headaches. Yo should give it a try and see if your problems go away.

17. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Not as much, almost none. But I think its more of the fact on how long you stare at your monitor. I work in front of the computer for almost 15 hours everyday and I barely had headaches, just a minor buzzing maybe but nothing a 5 minute break can't fix. I suggest you go take a break ever 10-15 minutes of working non-stop in front of the computer, go outside stare at the trees or if your in an office, stare outside the window, go to the bathroom or drink some water. The worst headaches I got from monitors are form CRT's back when in the days, they made my eyes hurt.