Have you seen an Extreme Couponer in person?

Discussion in Coupons started by randee555 • Mar 14, 2014.

1. randee555

randee555Active Member

Threads:
    I have never been to a store and have actually witnessed someone getting a ton of products and has a ton of coupons. On TV, the people are in the stores for hours and will be at the register with 4-5 carts and will only pay chump change for everything. I know the truth is possibly stretched a bit but I have never seen people do any real big hauls. My local stores don't double or triple coupons and the most coupons I've seen someone use is about 10-15 at the most. How about you?

2. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Actually, YES! It was interesting to watch. A woman in her late 30's with two kids started with a total of around $900 and ended up paying $12. Although, unlike the television show, no one applauded her. In fact, management seemed irritated as well as the customers. I was fine with it. Any way to get something for nothing is a great way to do things.

3. dorann

dorannMember

Threads:
    I really think that those people that buy hundreds of dollars of stuff for just a little bit are not the norm. I will use coupons and I will do it to get something for free, but I don't have the time to spend hours in the store to buy tons of items that I would probably never even use.

I would personally rather just use the coupons that I do have for items that I was going to buy anyway. I certainly wouldn't have the space to keep an unrealistic stockpile like those people have.

4. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I have definitely never seen it get that extreme. I have seen some pretty awesome savings, though, and I've gotten some pretty good deals myself. My best score to date was when I got paid $16 by Walmart to carry about $60 worth of products out of the store. It was awesome!

5. Roger

RogerNew Member

Threads:
    Can you please help me with ebay or amazon coupons to buy and to redeem across the store

pl add me [email protected]

6. sania250

sania250Banned

Threads:
    I did not seen it before yet.

7. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I have not only seen this happen twice, but I have done it myself on a number of occasions as well. I love to save money whenever I can, so when I see vouchers for things that I could stock up on, I don't think twice before choosing to take that path for myself. I've got months and months worth of shampoo and pasta in my cupboards that I have spent nothing on, and a while ago I got two months worth of butter for free, and four loaves of bread which last me a while as I freeze them and take a few slices out each time. In the current economic climate there's really no room to be bothering about what people think about you. As long as the store are happy to accept your coupons, and the terms and conditions on them allow you to claim more than one at once, then there is nothing stopping you from saving yourself a small fortune.

8. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    I am mostly too lazy to use coupons and don't usually go shopping myself. But I have seen some people use coupons to account for like 80% off the price of certain products or per total which was incredible. The only place where you can find deals that good is on Steam for various games when they have their special sales. Thats where I mostly shop for my games and the deals are insane. Up to 75-80% off on certain deals. Certainly best gaming platform to get great deals on.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never seen an extreme couponer buy a massive haul of stuff like the people on the show, but I've seen someone save $200 on their groceries by handing over an envelope of coupons.
    You don't have to get 5 carts of groceries for 50 cents to be a good couponer. I find the people who save $50 or $200 just as impressive. Even if you save $2 with coupons, you still come out ahead.

10. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    I used to be one, kind of. We had a store that had special weekends where they doubled coupons up to $2, tripled or quadrupled coupons for smaller amounts, I can't remember. I didn't get hundreds but would maybe get a hundred dollars worth for a few dollars. I also spent a good deal of time on it, bought 4 papers a week, got up a couple hours before work to be at the store when they opened for the day, and spent maybe an hour a day clipping, sorting and organizing coupons. Also there was no tax on food, and state law in the state I was living in prohibits charging tax on the amount saved by a coupon, so if an item is $2 and you have a $2 coupon you don't pay any tax. I later moved to a state that charges tax on food, so even if I had been able to save 100% (which isn't realistic) I'd still be paying all the taxes on the items. I did get to where 50% off didn't seem like much of a discount.

11. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I have never seen anybody in real life like there are on the show. Usually on the show they have a part where the person says it's their biggest haul ever so I think they plan and film the big extravagant trips specifically for TV. That being said, I know people can save a ton with coupons! I use them every now and then but I've never saved more than 5-10 dollars. I don't really have the time or patience to comb through lots of coupons. I wish there was a quicker process!

12. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I am probably the most vigorous couponer I know, and even I'm not that bad. I think these extreme couponers are actually very rare. These few people are going to receive disproportionate attention so it seems like they are more common than they actually are.

13. GenevB

GenevBActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, in fact I’ve recently seen one at a hyper market. He played for an entire trolley full of aliments and other things with coupons. I was pretty upset because I had to wait a good time for that and when finally he ran out of coupons he got his money from his pocket and guess what, he had a lot of money with him as well but just wanted to compensate the difference with cannot be done with coupons.

14. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think I've seen any extreme couponer like the lady who paid $12 on a $900 bill, the most I've seen is a couple of people with a big number of coupons for individual items, I've even been that person myself quite a few times :)

15. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    Coupons definitely save you money, but I just can't bring myself to use them to scam a store out of a bunch of sales. That's practically stealing and taking advantage of a system. I fear that thanks to that Extreme Couponing show, stores are going to be a lot more strict on coupon users and make it harder to save money. I honestly think that's why some stores go digital and rewards cards so no one can take advantage of the system and stores can still make money on products.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Coupons do not come out of the store's sales at all and they do not hurt the store's profits.
    Stores send the coupons back to the manufacturer and the manufacturer gives them a refund or rebate. If you have a Tyson chicken coupon for $2 and you use it at Walmart,
    Walmart doesn't lose $2, Tyson refunds Walmart the $2 when they receive the coupon back from the store.

The point of coupons is to get people to try products. I tried an amazing brand of $8 coffee for $4 with a coupon. The coffee was so good that I'm hooked on it and will probably spend $8 next time to buy it again. That is how coupons make customers out of people.

17. DirtOnWall

DirtOnWallNew Member

Threads:
    Yet Walmart probably makes more money than Tyson.