Is your health insurance worth it?

Discussion in Life & Health Insurance started by Gelsemium • Mar 17, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My wife has an health insurance that charge her around 30€ per month. She goes to the doctor just 2 or 3 times per year and with the value she pays I think that she would be better off without that insurance, I think that is pretty much money sent to the street, but it's not my call! Have you done this math with your health insurance?

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't had any health insurance for 20 or more years. I don't go to western doctors, and the oriental medicine professionals whom I frequent, don't have any health cover anyway. In Australia it is not like in the USA where people won't get treated for emergencies in hospitals if they are not covered. Please correct me if this information is false. I can only go by what I hear and read. In this country a lot of people don't have health insurance, simply because a lot of the services covered by those insurances are not worth the money. But then, if you are in a high risk job or you are debilitated in some way, health insurance is obviously necessary.

3. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That's really good to hear Dora. I don't have an health insurance either because I am in a good health subsystem, but most people do need health insurances. I too have an homeopathic doctor and I love the guys, he's done more for my health in a few months (13 to be exact) than regular doctors in the rest of my life.

4. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I dont have health insurance... I have to say I go to a local doctor that goes by my income and to see him is not very high. and I rarely ever go there verse paying around 50 a pay period for health insurance at my job. I can just pay way less than that to see a doctor when ever I need. Then the insurance at my job has a co pay.

5. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I have health Care through my employer, i only have to pay a Co-fee every time i visit a doctor. So it is definitely worth it for me.

6. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yes, that is the best, having health care through our work, but there are some unfortunate people that don't have that luck and pay for example 10 times more than we do and that doesn't seem fair to me at all. Either cases, I think that if we make our math good we end up saving some money for the same health care.

7. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I pay $18.60 every two weeks through my check at work for health insurance. I find it to be not that expensive. I have a $500 HRA account that rarely ever gets depleted within the years time. With that said, I don't pay anything out of pocket to doctors until my HRa is empty. This plan has been really good to me as I have some medical problems that need attention every so often.

I also have life insurance but its company paid. We don't have to pay anything unless we want more than they give us which is a $10,000 policy.

8. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have health insurance it is not so much of a necessity here as we have the NHS. We are not charged for seeking medical treatment or visiting the GP. We only have to pay for prescriptions here, but is cheaper if the medication is sold over the counter to purchase it from the supermarket or pharmacy, those who don't work also get their prescriptions free.

9. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Here in my country the differences are shocking between those who have certain health subsystems and the others who just have NHS. Those with NHS need to have a private insurance or else they wait for months for an appointment, is really a poor service the state provides in this case.

10. wlrahilly

wlrahillyNew Member

Threads:
    I am glad I have health insurance. Mine does a good job covering everything for the most part. I'm on a prescription (monthly) that would cost me over $250 per refill. I only have to pay less than a $20 copay for it each month. Plus I have 3 kids that have their yearly doctor visits, dentists, etc. So, yes, my health insurance is definitely worth it.

11. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I think that you have it all wrong here. I would say that health insurance is for those hard times. If you knew the future and could see whats coming then i would say that you do not really need health insurance. But if say that you had a stroke or some serious case of bad luck, then you would definitely need all the help you can get, and financially you would want to come out of that situation strong and not left in bad shape. So i would say that insurance is a must for anyone looking at living a happy life in the long term.

12. Gelsemium

Threads:
    It's for the hard time lovemwaf, but for the day-today too, especially if you have kids and you want a good quality health service you need to have an insurance or at least to belong to some health sub-system because if you join the public health system you're in trouble. In my particular case, I check the dentist all the time, if I didn't have a health sub-system I would be paying 4 or 5 times more than what I pay now.

13. smilemae

smilemaeNew Member

Threads:
    It's good to hear people get satisfied with their health insurances. I have been an HMO marketing officer for several years now and I really see the importance of having one. One of the reasons why I join the HMO team is for me to get mine for free. So it's really worth it for me.

14. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I think that health insurance is above all a safety, pretty much as an insurance in any other area, we enjoy having it, but we prefer not to use it of course. I see my wife, she barely uses her, but she's happy to have it because if she get's sick one day she know she will get a better health care. It's costly though.

15. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I currently have a crummy health plan because my employer doesn't have it an I had to get something to be legal and all. I am changing jobs soon so I will be able to get insurance that I can actually have reason to believe would come through if I needed it. I don't plan to use it unless I have an emergency or something, but the stupid company I have now doesn't have their act together at all, there is no reason for having any confidence in them, they might screw up.

16. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    I am self employed and buy my own medical insurance. I broke my foot a few months ago and they covered 98% of the fees. This included the operation, room, administrative fees and the splint that was custom made for me. My premium did not go any higher either. Note: I am not in the US currently so this is very affordable and the surgery on my foot was probably 1/15 of the price it would have cost in the US.

17. Gelsemium

Threads:
    So that is great wulfman, that is why I always say that it's good to be covered as a safety, but we would prefer never to need it because that means we would be healthy. When you say you're not in the US and that the insurance is affordable, does this mean you have a US wage or insurances are just cheap were you live?

18. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    At this stage in my life, I couldn't really say if my health insurance is worth it but it's basically free because our company provided it for us employees. I did get to enjoy a few perks including dental services (check-up, cleaning, temporary pasta) and medical consultations. I plan to undergo spinal surgery later this year but I have not yet consulted my health insurance provider with regard to the amount they'd be covering. Our government health insurance will cover the greater chunk of the amount while the health insurance will cover the rest. Oh well, until that happens, I cannot measure how good my company-provided health insurance is.

19. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I think that is a great perk you have at your job xTinx, if we have a complete health insurance paid by our employer that is better news that many workers have and in some times worths more than a higher wage, I would prefer to have such a perk than a raise.

20. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have the health insurance simply because I hardly see a doctor once in three to four years.

Most insurance do not cater for medicines for chronic illnesses like diabetes mellitus ir hypertension which in my opinion would be worth insuring for.