How often do you try a new food?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by randee555 • Mar 18, 2014.

1. randee555

randee555Active Member

Threads:
    Whenever I go to a food place, I love to try a different food each time. I can't be that person who will order the same food for 20 years and will never mix it up. There are so many different types of foods on the menu and you never know what's good or what's not until you try it. Whether it's the appetizer, the main course, or the dessert, I try something different each time. How often do you try new foods?

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    When I cook at home, not that often. I'm on a more or less tight budget so I stick to what I can, I love to try new things but have to limit my experiments a little due to financials. When I go out to eat, I always try something different. Different from the ones I've tried before and different from the things I can make at home... often if the dish is something that I can create on my own I will go with something else which I'd never have at home.

3. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely do actually. Probably only 3-4 times a year. I am a very fussy eater though and I know when I'm not going to like something, but if it's completely new then I'll at least give it a try most times. I am usually pleasantly surprised so maybe I should do it more often.

4. tinyfang

tinyfangMember

Threads:
    Not often enough unfortunately. When I do get the chance, I would say probably once or twice a year. Some years ago when my financial situation was much better, I would eat out often or cook at home with recipes I got from the internet. Back then, I tried something new at least once or twice every two to three weeks.

5. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I find trying new food with friends more fun as compared to trying new food with my family. With friends, we all share our experiences with new food choices, however with family, it just feels like a regular family dinner where we would talk about family topics rather than talking about food with friends.

My friends and I do enjoy trying out new popular restaurants, however we still enjoy visiting our favorite ones here and there.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love to try out everything vegetarian. Although, I saw a show about fried insects that are commonly eaten in certain Asian countries, and I wouldn't mind trying them out as well. I am particularly keen on Japanese food. I really love seaweed and umeboshi plums and try to incorporate them in my meals at least a few times a week. I also like to sample exotic spices and herbs, basically anything that I haven't tried yet and which is of plant origins.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unless it's some kind of vegetable or cereal I won't try out any other new food. I don't care if there's a fancy name for it. Just as long as I don't know the recipe and have never tasted it in my life, I won't try it.

8. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Not regularly but I love to taste some new food once in a while and see how tasty it can be. I am one guy who loves to have adventures and food is one of those adventures. I have been a great fan of tasting new food and am always on the lookout to see what is new.

9. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    Don't remember the last time I tried new food. I always order what I'm familiar with or when I have a good idea of how it will taste. I like sushi and I want to try some that has raw fish but I'm too afraid of eating it. I don't have the chance to try new food very often either.

10. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I try new food everywhere I go! If I am at the grocery and there is something there I have never seen before or cooked with before or even tried to pronounce before you better believe I am picking that bad boy up. We live in an age where there should not be a lick of fear in trying new things. If I don't know what to do with it based on tasting it in its initial form, I can always look up great recipes or uses online. Love it.

11. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with you. I wouldn't like to be eating the same things over and over for years on end.

I try to eat different kinds of seafood every week. One of my favourite I've tried is probably stingray fillets; they're very delicate and melt in your mouth. One of my least favourite is probably squid tentacles; they're pretty tough. Although, I'd like to try them again and cook them differently to see if it yeilds better results.

12. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    All the time!

If I eat out, and this does not happen often, I always try to order something new. If I cook at home, and this happens most of the time, I look for new cheap recipes and ingredients on the internet and then buy them when I shop. Since we spend so much time cooking I think it's a great idea to always try new stuff and not cook the same thing over and over. It's crazy what spices and ingredients you can find these days at the supermarket, at good prices none the less, so it would be a pity to not try cooking new food.

13. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    All the time. One of my favourite things to do is to venture to my local Sunday market because they have a massive food section where stalls cook and sell food from countries all over the world, me and my friend go there every Sunday and we have one rule: we won't eat food from the same country within a six month perdiod. So if we eat something from an Ethiopian stall then we won't eat Ethiopian food for at least another six months, that way we try lots of food from different countries.

Last Sunday I had curried goat with rice from an South African stall. :)

14. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I regularly try out new foods. I hate it when I travel abroad and I see people from the UK (where I am from) ordering burgers or egg and chips and moaning about the foreign food. I like the experience of trying out different things and will sample all the local cuisine. At home, I am always trying out new recipes and if I can afford it will buy an unusual ingredient to experiment with. There are some things I won't try though- brain and testicles!

15. apple1989

apple1989Member

Threads:
    I'm adventurous when it comes to other things, but when it comes to trying out exotic foods, it's a big no-no. Just as long as it isn't exotic, I'll definitely go for it. Part of the experience when travelling is to try out their local delicacies so I might try to eat things they serve.

16. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I'm the same way!! I actually dated a guy several years back that always ordered the exact same thing every time and it was one of the clues to me that it wasn't going to work out. Sure, it's understandable that if you like a food, you're going to want to eat it again. At the same time, how do you know that there's not something even BETTER on the menu if you never branch out and try something new? That's just not how I work at all. I try new foods all the time!

17. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    Honestly. I would have to say rarely. I have a daily routine, and i rarely deter from it. There is a Mcdonald's right next to my job, and i eat lunch there everyday. I rarely cook at home, so i eat tv dinners for supper. Unless i have a craving for something special, but that is usually one of my favorite foods. Never anything new.

18. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I try it every so often, because eventually you get tired of sticking to a culinary routine and want to try something out of the ordinary. So maybe instead of having a home cooked meal of rice and chicken one week, another week I'll have noodles mixed with shrimps along with some green string beans.

19. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love trying new food! I don't know if I could say I always try new foods - mainly because where I live it's expensive to eat out at places where exotic and rare foods are sold. But I'm never disgusted or hesitant to try new foods, I love to do it, and some of my favorite foods I was "brave" when I tried them. So I would say I try out new foods every couple of months or so.

20. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to try new foods all the time when I was in a better financial situation, but now that I'm a single mom on a budget, I'm careful about experimenting with new foods because if my daughter and I don't them, then it's wasted money from our limited food budget. The one thing I do experiment with, because it's cheap, is I try new sauces often. A while back, I got hooked on sriracha. Now I love gochujang.
    At $3 a bottle. it's not a huge loss if I don't like a new sauce.