What Types of Things Would You Like to Stockpile?

Discussion in Coupons started by LindaKay • Mar 18, 2014.

1. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    Stockpiling is great for so many reasons. Not only does it allow you to take advantage of good deals, but it also helps ensure that your family is stocked up on essentials for when you need them.

What do you stockpile? What would you like to stockpile?

I have a lot of health and beauty aids, like shampoo, razors, soap, body wash, etc.

I would like to build up a bigger food stockpile, but I have a lot of stuff, really. I think what I would like to build up is a cleaning stockpile. I need more laundry detergent, cleaning supplies, etc.

What about you?

2. tinyfang

tinyfangMember

Threads:
    There's a joke that Chinese ethnic people born in Canada have about their Chinese born parents. The joke is that westerners stock bottled water, dry rations and canned goods, while Chinese people stock frozen fish and tissue paper. Our priority seems a bit off. ^_^

If I have a home that has a specific room for storage, I would store bags of rice in waterproof bags, kegs of water, the usual first aid and survival kits, enough life jackets for the family plus some extra, three or four fire extinguishers, possibly an inflatable boat with paddles, whistles... Oops, I'm going off topic!

Anyway, bags of rice, kegs of water, bags of oatmeal, bags of salt, hmm, I can't think of anything else at the moment. I keep hearing a distant meow somewhere.

3. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    Kegs of...water? Why not...oh, never mind. ;)

That does seem like a pretty good list. Rice is always a good thing to have on hand. We eat way too much of it around here.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would like to stockpile more canned tuna, actually more canned foods and dry goods in general because it's nice to have food in reserve in case things take a turn for the worse and I can't afford to go grocery shopping one week. Right now I have a lot of ground turkey in my freezer because I bought a bunch of Jenny O coupons from a coupon seller online. I got some weird looks at checkout for buying 40 rolls of ground turkey but at least I don't have to worry about ground meat for a while.

5. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    Wow ACSAPA, I keep procrastating about checking out some online coupon sellers and finding something worth stock piling. I definatly want to stockpile, toilet paper, can goods and batteries. I really want to prepared for whatever.

6. Adrean J

Adrean JNew Member

Threads:
    I've really been wanting to stockpile canned foods for emergencies, but I was noticing that canned goods, in fact go bad, like everything else. I noticed that beans last a bit longer than fruits and vegetables, but I'm still wondering if their is a particular canned good that lasts for at least 5 years? Either way, I have been starting it out with a few canned meats like Spam, tuna and canned beef for now.

7. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    Those weird looks at check out don't bother me. I like stocking up on food and products that we will use when they're cheap. It's great knowing that we'll still be OK if we fall on hard times.

Canned goods do eventually expire, but some have really long shelf lives, so make sure to check your expiration dates. If you're getting them free or almost free, you can always plan on donating them when they get close to the expiration date if you haven't eaten them.

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    This is the type of stuff I stockpile, too. I have at least 6 tubes of toothpaste in a closet right now because I caught them on sale. They store well, won't go bad, don't take up a lot of room, and realistically, I'm not going to stop brushing my teeth....so they WILL get used eventually.

I have to be careful with my stockpiling because of space concerns, though, so I don't go overboard.

9. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    Let's hope we don't stop brushing our teeth, lol! :)

Yes, I definitely think health and beauty items are important to stockpile. You can get them free or almost free all the time if you watch the sales and use coupons.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'd like to stockpile non perishable goods like shampoo and paper towel the most, because chances are, we will be able to go through the load one way or another and it helps that we don't need to hurry our consumption for fear that it might turn bad on us after a while. As for food items, I think the items I'd like to stockpile the most would be junk food like chips and soda, because it's much better to just have one handy whenever you crave for it rather than having to go out each time or worse maybe even after a few days when the craving just isn't the same anymore.

11. J3NN4

J3NN4Member

Threads:
    Junk food items are also good to have handy over the summer when you're throwing cook-outs and stuff. It doesn't seem like a lot of money but it adds up quick, so it's nice to have a good stockpile of those kind of items for when company comes over or just having people hanging out.

12. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I agree. Stockpiling those items when they're free or almost free guarantees that you have them on hand when you have company later. Then, you don't have to go out and spend your money on them when you need them. We have junk food around, but I don't buy huge amounts. It's nice to have some on hand, though.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Definitely! You brought up a very good point, and I agree. I also usually bust out my junk food stock pile whenever company comes over and this is especially handy for when we decide to watch a movie at home. Potato chips and sodas are always a hit with guests as I imagine few people hate them enough to reject it upon offering, and it's even especially popular with the kids which is great because they tend to be the most finicky when it comes to food and snacks.

14. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    That's true. We don't actually eat a whole lot of junk food around here, but it's nice to have something salty or sweet every now and then. Getting it on sale with coupons for next to nothing makes it that much easier to digest lol.

15. Neperon

NeperonActive Member

Threads:
    This is true because i have used it and my experiences remained fine with them that is how it works,The thing is going over the top in any sort of activities is inappropriate and this is how things can be learnt from gaining the experience and using them.

16. HectorHegg

HectorHeggBanned

Threads:
    Yeah, I stockpile things for emergency. I stockpile only essential things as Bottled water and purifying tablets, protein sources – dry/canned beans and nuts, Warm clothing, Vegetable Oil (for cooking), white vinegar and few other things.

17. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I love to stockpile, especially when I can get super great deals! I stockpile mostly health and beauty products, laundry soaps and paper products. Things that I know you can keep for a long time without having issues. I do stockpile grocery products but found that too much can lead to expired products and I end up just throwing them away :( If I can get great deals though on food even if we have enough of something, I will still buy it and donate it to our local food pantry. :)