Tips on how to pay electric bill?

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by allison • May 3, 2012.

1. allison

allisonNew Member

Threads:
    Does anyone have any tips or websites for assistance on electric bills? I've checked billfloat.com but they appear to be down for the time being, and I really need help now.

I can't use LEAP because it goes through Community Action and my electric is in my landlord's name. Thanks in advance for any tips :)

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Would the utility company be willing to work with you on it? I am not sure if that would be an option because it is in the landlord's name, they might not. Without Community Action's help, there are not too many options for you. The only other one I could think of would be to work something out with your landlord directly. A landlord is not going to want the power shut off so they may be willing to help you out with it.

3. mariaandrea

mariaandreaMember

Threads:
    If the electric is in the landlord's name does that mean the landlord pays it and you pay the landlord? If so, can you work out a payment plan with the landlord?

Also, check community service organizations and churches in your area. I went through a couple here last year when things were bad and they helped immensely. One got me a credit on my bill and the other sent them a check. Look up "crisis services" and "emergency services" in your area.

4. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    Who is your electric company? Do you have a savings program you can sign up for or perhaps call them and explain your situation and they can start a payment plan with you? I know that FPL has a few programs to help save money and they are even in correlation with the local government to help those below the poverty line meet their payments. Usually this program requires you to make a lower amount than the poverty line in your city for them to help pay up to 1/2 of your electric bill but it helps. This however is in Florida - does your electric company offer anything like that?

5. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    I used to do customer service for Southern California Edison so yes there should be assistance for payment on your electric bill. Where are you located ... if you can say?
    If not please check in your area. For example, if you are in Washington go to google and type in Washington+Utility Assistance and that should pull up any rental assistance agencies that may be in the area. If you have any problems just let me know.

6. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    Oh I see. I just googled LEAP and I think I understand where you are and the situation at hand.
    Give me a few ticks...I'll be back to edit this post after I've found some information.

Try this website:

if you don't see what you need on there...send them an email, explaining your situation.

#6May 4, 2012
    Last edited: May 4, 2012
  7. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I heard that you can go to the Salvation Army to pay electric bills. You would need to prove that you are unable to pay, and you have to fall under a certain poverty level. If salary cannot pay the bills, then they will provide assistance and they will pay the bill. You can go to the Salvation Army website to find out more details about the program.

8. deecee

deeceeActive Member

Threads:
    With most charities that help with bills, the demand far surpasses the need. If you want to go that route, first call them to find out what their processes are. For example, if you need to call in starting at 8 AM, you would want to be dialing at 7:59.

My daughter works for a nonprofit charity, and their assistance program has usually committed that day's allotment of funds within the first 5 minutes every day.

9. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    A lot of electric companies have programs where they prorate you and give you a consistent bill all year. They average your usage and split it accordingly so you don't get hit with massive bills all the time.

10. leyash

leyashActive Member

Threads:
    I would try that, but I would be really upset if I ended up owing them at the end of the year. My aunt and uncle do that, and they found out a couple months ago that they are going to owe about $500 at the end of the year, on top of their monthly bill (so far). Would hate to be in that position, especially around Christmas time.

11. couponaholic

couponaholicBanned

Threads:
    Ya this happened to us too. We went on the shut off protection plan where they are only making use pay just over $100 per month, but the rest of the bill is still adding up and if we ever default they will shut us off and will not be able to get it turned back on until the balance is paid in full on top of a re-connection fee. Not cool.