About Reputation System

Discussion in News & Announcements started by dpf • Mar 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dpf

dpfAdministrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Threads:
    Everyone gets 10 points to start out with, when you sign up to the forums.

How do I get reputation?

1. Posting great content that help other members... members can give you likes...:

Great Thread = +2 Reputation (only first post have this button / who started the thread can receive this)
    Like post = +1 Reputation
    Dislike post = -1 Reputation

2. The built in VBulletin reputation system is next to the report button, "Give Reputation" button. The amount of rep you can receive depends on who gave it to you (view Reputation Power of a member), and often the more reputation they have entitles them to give out more reputation to you.
    The number of posts, combined with the age of your account add more reputation points as time goes by!

Reputation settings

Default Reputation

What reputation level shall new users receive upon registration? = 10

Minimum Post Count
    How many posts must a user have before his reputation hits count on others? = 10

Minimum Reputation Count

How much reputation must a user have before his reputation hits count on others? = 10
    Daily Reputation Clicks Limit
    How many reputation clicks can a user give over each 24 hour period? Administrators are exempt from this limit. = 3
    Reputation User Spread
    How many different users must you give reputation to before you can hit the same person again? Administrators are exempt from this limit. = 10

Reputation Power Factors

Register Date Factor
    For every 60 number of days, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Post Count Factor
    For every 50 number of posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Reputation Point Factor
    For every 100 points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Reputation Power Cap
    Global maximum reputation giving power for any member. = 100
    What about the green bars?

The first bar is worth 10 point.
    We award 1 reputation bar for every 11 reputation points

2. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Does something bad happen if you click on one of the 'rating'-bars WITHOUT the power to grant reputation? (me; I've been clicking on them and it seems that nothing happened, and I figured 'let the chips fall as they may---if it registers, it registers :eek:')

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that this is a good idea and promotes the interaction between users and, at least in my case, I pay more attention to what deserves credits or not, it seems that now exists something that gives a prize to those who make the better posts. Well done. :)

4. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I like the reward system as well. No only does it give you an incentive to make higher quality posts, but it makes the site more interesting and more involving.

5. Wolf

WolfNew Member

Threads:
    I think this is a good idea to encourage quality. I think a lot of members would be keen to get as high a rating as possible. I do not see itas a competition but rather as a way to engourage members to give their best efforts when writing posts. I think it's a fantastic idea.

6. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    Reputation systems make posting more fun. Everyone likes to compete and this gives the illusion that there is a class system where some people are better then others. I'm not saying this how I personally look at it. I'm saying that is what competition is and this is how people work.

7. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    So It's not so-much 'competition' as it is 'order of goodness, from most goodness to least!' (I don't know if I have OCD (Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder), but I DO agree that they ought to call it CDO (as that's in alphabetical-order, the way things should be ;) )

8. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    I must be the lone dissenter here, but honestly, who gives a rip? It's hightly subjective. Heck, I've posted all the times I've posted, and not got a like or anything. They have been very useful posts. And I have seen the most 'shallow' questions and postings on this forum, and everyone jumping up and down going, yes, yes. I just don't get that. It may as well be high school, or Face Book. Tho, yes, I do love FB.

Now I can see it when we are reviewing a product when it's important, opinions are important then. But otherwise, most of this forum just looks like someone not understanding something someone said, and 'rating low' or 'not liking it' or something for some reason known only to that person.

9. junebug

junebugNew Member

Threads:
    I agree with you somewhat Ruth B. I guess if you look at it kind of like getting 'likes' on FB, then it's OK. I like getting a lot of likes on FB, but I don't alter my updates to get more likes - I write what comes to me naturally, and if it gets likes, then it makes me feel good. But shouldn't we be here on this site for entertainment/information, rather than to try to write the best posts? I don't know, improving the quality of posts doesn't seem like it should be a thing; the posts represent the people who are members of the board and they should just be themselves.

That being said, I am competitive by nature, so I will be trying to get my reputation up:)

10. cecileadeal

cecileadealNew Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the advice!

11. Nate5

Nate5Member

Threads:
    Huh, I just got an alert about my reputation, and I honestly had no idea what was going on. Glad there's this post to explain stuff for me. Thanks for the heads up!

12. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    Admin how do you get rid of the notifications at the top. I have 621 of them and it keeps flashing while I am browsing the forum. It is annoying.
    As for the reputation system yea its pretty cool. I like having good posts of mine recognized. And also recognizing other posters' good posts. It has become quite common among most forums.

13. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    This is a good system.

Just wondering. If we hit a certain level of reputation, does anything happen? Not necessarily a prize. Maybe just some fireworks would be fine. Or a sparkling avatar for a week. It would serve as some kind of fun motivation for our members here. The reputation bar already works as some kind of recognition award. Adding some pizzazz to it would just make it better.

How about that?

14. nonsiccus

nonsiccusActive Member

Threads:
    I too would like to know whether or not I can turn off or somehow filter the notifications that are making their way through. A lot of it, especially those achievements, seem to be rather superfluous and end up falsely notifying me when I think I have a thread or comment reply. Additionally, it emails me saying that I have a private message, without informing me of much else. Kind of disappointing to log in to see that it's just an automated message.

15. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    That's one of the bad things about abundance: it blinds you to the struggles of those without it.

Here, it's the abundance that leads to hyper-large & hyper-fast computing: the admin (talking about `em like they're not even here :p ) have machines that instantly do exactly as-ordered, and so don't consider 'clicking a link to open up a whole `nother page to deliver a message' to be a process that takes any amount of energy that could be saved by--I dunno--delivering the message instead.

16. nonsiccus

nonsiccusActive Member

Threads:
    I have no idea what the message you're trying to convey here is... it seems like you're saying "suck it up"? Are you suggesting that because my computer opens the page when I click on links, that I should simply deal with minor annoyances?

I asked a simple question after stating that it would be preferable to disable obtrusive notifications that don't contribute to my forum-going experience.

17. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think I'm giving any advice there; I think I'm just explaining 'why the admin don't think it's inconveniant to activate such notifications.'

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As for me, I have no problem with the notification system, since it doesn't send any emails, it just pops up in the forum. I browse that section from time to time to go back on the threads that I posted in and to read the new replies. And I also agree with the reputation system, it's nice to get a "like" for something that you said.

19. justin yu

justin yuNew Member

Threads:
    Yeah I totally understand. This is a serious problem that must be fixed.

20. unrealjoe

unrealjoeNew Member

Threads:
    I have no problem with the notification system, yet, is there an incentive for this issue to be fixed at all?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.