Check-out through PayPal or through Card?

Discussion in Payment Methods started by daimashin • Mar 23, 2014.

1. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    When I'm buying something online, do you think there's a difference between checking out through Paypal and paying directly with my debit card? If I were to use Paypal, I'm still paying the amount with my debit card, just through one more party in between.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on where you're buying from. On eBay, they have buyer protection so that you can get your money back from Paypal if you get scammed by the seller. I don't think it matters as much if you use Paypal to buy on other sites. eBay is pretty much the only site I use Paypal for.

3. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I mostly use just my credit card...however, I frequent pretty popular websites. If something doesn't seem right, I would use PayPal.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yep, that's one thing to consider.

Another is whether or not you get reward points for your card. Some debit or credit cards offer reward points that add up, so you might benefit more by using your card directly if there are any limits on how it's redirected through PayPal. (As in, even if it's eventually going off the card, the card may consider that a "payment" instead of a "shopping purchase" and the reward may be different).

5. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Hmmm, never thought about this before. Thanks for reminding me on the reward points. Reward points are kind of big for me so I definitely have to factor that in when purchasing. First, I'll have to find out if the reward points are calculated the same way for both types of transaction.

6. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I mainly use PayPal to pay for my online purchases especially from ebay. I feel secure with their refund policy in case my ordered item does not arrive, which actually happened to me once. The seller instantly sent the refund after we have resolved the case. I also use a virtual visa card which is funded by online earnings. This is the only debit card I use for online purchases. I'm not comfortable giving out my banking details online; therefore these two modes of payment are what I use.

7. Magicman94

Magicman94Member

Threads:
    Paypal is safer to use than just giving your credit card. You can link your card to paypal and pay with it instead. It's safer to use, especially with all the data breaches and credit card number thefts lately. With paypal the merchant never sees your card number.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Suffice it to be said that using Paypal is safer than using your debit card [which is linked directly to your bank account] to make a purchase online. And that shouldn't be your only worry. The site you're buying from could not be that secure in as far encryption of their data is concerned. If that's the case, you risk losing all the money in your account. So if you can, avoid paying with your debit card at all costs.

9. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I usually prefer paying using PayPal if I ever purchased anything online. I only use my card to pay when I go to a shops or supermarket around my area. I'm just a little concern about giving all the details when paying with card online even though many people say it's safe and fine.

But there are websites that don't give PayPal as a payment option so with that one I just have to use my card.

10. pfaemaster

pfaemasterMember

Threads:
    Whenever possible, I would use Paypal. That's because it is safer for me, and fact that my money goes through a trusted intermediary makes it more secure. Paying through Paypal adds a layer of security between any possible attacker and by personal bank account. I don't have to worry about any attacks onto my account. Now, while I am a bit on the cautious side, I would say that payment through Paypal is not always necessary, as these sites are well established and are known for their trustworthiness and reliability. But any other website, especially small time independent e-commerce sites, I would strongly recommend that you make any purchases via Paypal. You never know how much of a difference that this could make. It only takes one attack to make your life miserable.

11. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer using paypal because I just feel a lot safer. I know that they have a buyer protection system on a few sites and I'm more inclined to buy from the sites that use paypal. Another reason why I like using paypal is because we can use any amount that we have in our account to pay for some merchandise, instead of always transferring the amount from the account into our personal bank accounts. ^.^'

12. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    Paypal is a middle man. Best to cut out the middle man when ever possible. When you use Paypal they charge a fee. So if you can use your card without it, that is your best choice.

13. daleo717

daleo717Member

Threads:
    I think it is safer to use Paypal online than just by credit/debit card. I have never had any problems when using Paypal, but when I have used my credit card in the past, the credit card company put a lock on my account because they said someone tried to use my card. This was right after I ordered something by credit card from an online bookstore. So I only use Paypal now. I also use paypal for selling things on Craig listing and it worked great.

14. Shiditios

ShiditiosNew Member

Threads:
    I don't really see the difference. You're still spending money. Although with some cards they have weird point or bonus systems so you can get stuff after buying a lot of things. It's not really worth it though considering most of the time you have to spend a lot of money just to get the bonuses.

15. nickjt

nickjtNew Member

Threads:
    It depends on the site for me. If it is a reputable web site or one that I know I can trust then I will generally use my credit card to complete to purchase. If the website seems a bit dodgy and I don't want to give them any of my information then I will use PayPay.

16. Fauxpat

FauxpatMember

Threads:
    It's definitely safer to use Paypal on some sites. However, most major online retailers are safe enough that you can use a card and not have to worry about getting scammed/having anything stolen. I rarely use Paypal for spending anymore, because I rarely go on sites where I feel the need to go through it. I'm confident enough in the sellers I deal with, and if an issue occurs, I can usually sort it out with my card/bank.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm actually quite content to just pay using Paypal when I shop at Ebay and other stores. Although some occasional Ebay sellers would prefer bank deposit, probably to avoid being scammed by the buyer. I would only pay with my debit card if the store doesn't offer to pay using Paypal, like Amazon for example.

18. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't suggest going to PayPal first if you're planning to use your card anyway, specifically for transactions that are not the same as your PayPal currency. PayPal's exchange rate is actually pretty different compared to the official ones floating around, so you may be losing a bit more than what you're supposed to pay for. For instance, I buy a lot of things from Japan, and yes, in Yen currency. As an example, if I were to buy something and pay with my card directly, it would cost 100%. But if I were to go through PayPal first, I would probably pay something like 105% because of exchange rate and all that.

19. devilishomar

devilishomarMember

Threads:
    I prefer to use Paypal because it's a much more convenient option for me. If i'm ordering something from Amazon (oh how often that is) I always use Paypal, because all I have to do is login and click 'buy now', that's it!.

If I were to choose to use my credit card, I'd have to first contact my bank telling them to authorize the transaction I am about to do. On top of that, i'd have to find my credit card and enter the details myself manually (from another site, Amazon conveniently has an option for a one-time credit card detail entering system)!

20. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I feel more secure paying through paypal. If I receive a product that is not what the seller says it will be I can get my money back without alot of issues because the seller does not want to lose their verifcation through paypal. I had a seller that did not want to give me a refund on a very expensive training programs that they did not deliver, I had to open a grievence with paypal to get my money back.