Do you still buy computer parts and acessories in store?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by mistymi • Mar 24, 2014.

1. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    For a long time everything I needed for my computer could be found in store but I have become more and more disappointed by the small selections. I went to a Best Buy and they did not have any internal SSDs and Fry's didn't have much variety in them. More specialized parts, cases and most internals I buy online now. Monitors, for whatever reason I prefer to buy in person. I guess it depends on how particular you are about certain items.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you can get a great deal somewhere you'll stick with that, right? I have a friend who sells electronics online and in brick and mortar store, so most of the time he has a lot of stuff in his place. Whenever I need something I always check out if he has it in stock. If he doesn't then I ask him to find it for me because I can obtain it cheaper that way. It has saved me a lot.

3. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    No way! I haven't purchased a lot of parts - but some i have. Examples include a keyboard replacement or a new wifi card. I make sure that I carefully research the parts before buying so that I don't risk getting the wrong one. Instead of buying in store, I look for great prices online. I can pretty much guarantee that you will get a better deal online. Some people prefer buying in store because they like help choosing the item.

4. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I find that when I know exactly what I need, I can always find the best deal online. But when I don't know exactly what I need, I still succumb to the giant suck hole known as Best Buy.

Weirdly, I shopped for my current Macbook for several months online and ended up finding the best price at Best Buy from a return that had been highly discounted. That was a lucky break I think. In general, I feel like Best Buy will never lower prices because they really don't have to.

Randomly though, it has been helpful to check out local computer repair shops for deals. It seems many people just looking to do what they love are actually in the business of helping people at fair prices. We have a few computer repair places that are run directly out of people's homes around where I live, and they guys are as nice as they are smart and nerdy with computers. We've had a lot of luck going local.

5. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    I actually usually do! I know most people want to shop online to get the best deal but I am impatient and want it "now" haha. I should start purchasing more things online though, it would save me a lot of money!

6. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    No, I do not buy my computer accessories and parts at brick and mortar stores. This is due to the reason that there a lot of online stores now which sell these products over the internet. And they offer a huge variety of products at pretty reasonable prices. Sometimes there prices are lower then the ones offered in retail stores. Newegg and Amazon are the two stores which I have tried.

7. Quaestor

QuaestorMember

Threads:
    If I'm planning on buying something in advance, I almost never buy from a physical store. The ability to shop around online with ease, the lower overheads of online businesses and not having to leave the house are all bonuses, in my opinion.

The only time I will go into a store is when something has failed and I need a replacement quickly - usually so I can get online and order better and cheaper parts.

8. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I have learned to order my items online now . There are better selection online and great bargains to choose from. Sometimes when Item are not in stock in stores you can locate other stores online that may have the item you need whether close by or just online. In my opinion on line is a great choice.

9. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I usually shop online for computer parts, they have more diverse selection of parts. I went to a local computer parts store once and I they have a bunch of parts granted but very little variety on them. Also, buying parts online is much cheaper compared to going to a store, based on my experience, I got an Intel 300 SSD for $95, $30 less compared to buying from local shops.

10. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I normally get my parts from eBay. I have to be careful when buying from eBay. I normally check to see if the seller is top rated at least I will be sure that the product will be delivered and in the perfect condition. Also am protected by the buyer protected policy from paypal that will easily refund my money without any issues if the product is not delivered.

11. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have several big computer stores in my area and always find there what I need. And if they don't have it in stock, they order it for me and it arrives within a few days.
    I am not exactly very computer savvy, so I appreciate the advice and customer service in stores. I always get exactly what I need and don't have to worry about buying the wrong thing and the possibilities of losing money.

12. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    Over the years I have definitely become more dependent on the online stores to supply me with what I need when it comes to electronics. I am in a city that is lucky enough to have a MicroCenter store! They are the exact opposite of what was stated about Best Buy. Their selection is completely expansive yet very detailed. By this I mean, you can go there to buy a desktop PC or you can purchase the small pieces of a computer you may need such as more RAM or a new cooling fan or whatever the case may be. Other than MicroCenter though, I do the rest of my electronics shopping online whether through Amazon, NewEgg, Tiger Direct, etc.

13. Neperon

NeperonActive Member

Threads:
    Not in the stores but sometimes when i really need them,I prefer buying them through Online stores because normally you get every highlighted thing there and its fine to buy it from them so which can be working and that is the way for it.Most of the times these are the statistics which working goodly for me.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do, but I'd say I only buy half of what I used to in-store nowadays because I could just buy from my favorite online stores and have it delivered in just a few days. The only thing I dislike about buying online is that the box is usually a bit more worn out by the time it gets to me, and so I usually only buy items online that I know I wouldn't care much about the box for. Also, I prefer to shop for bigger items in the store rather than online, especially devices like laptops because I prefer to know that the items weren't being passed from person to person considering they are so bulky but still very delicate.

15. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I do alot of shopping for computers and parts online now myself mainly so I can do research on what I want and to have the convenience of knowing whether its in stock or not. It can be really annoying calling the store to ask if they have something to get down there and find out they don't.

16. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    For some reason I would prefer to buy a monitor in person as well, I think because I would want to see the size and if that would work for me. But since I've been buying more and more things online who knows, I may start buying monitors online as well.

17. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I shop online for all the PC parts I need. They're slightly cheaper and I get to choose from a larger selection, with reviews and everything. The only reason I'd shop at a brick and mortar store for parts is if my PC breaks down and I can't afford to wait for a few days until the parts I bought online are shipped. But this is rare and has only happened once, a few years back. Now I have a spare PC (a weaker one), to avoid similar situations.

18. silentrascal

silentrascalNew Member

Threads:
    Unless the part I'm looking for is something I'm having a hard time finding, or if I'm in a hurry to get my PC back up and running, or the price of it is really not much difference from an online source - then I'll usually "bite the bullet" and get it in a store. By and large, though, I find that the best option is to be thrifty and do careful searches in online locations such as Amazon, Ebay, NewEgg, or the one I usually end up at, TigerDirect. Many times I can find these things there and take advantage of "free shipping" offers that really save me money in the long run. I really think places like Best Buy can be good if you're in a pinch, but you almost always end up paying more there than you really need to. Another good source is a site called DealOz, which will give you current used and new item costs from a variety of sites, and their listing of prices is very current.

19. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I live near a TigerDirect store so if they have the part in store at a good price I buy it there. I do that so I can save on shipping. Shipping is hardly ever free to PR. We have a couple of specialized small computer parts stores and I'm subscribed to their price list so if their price is cheaper than online price plus shipping then I buy from them. But there are parts that are too rare so I buy them online. Also some parts or accessories are cheaper online. I always look for the best deal.

20. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy everything I need for my computer online because online shopping offers more choices, more information and I can shop around for the best price. I don't like to pay the full retail price for anything.