How much do you spend on books?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by sarz • Mar 25, 2014.

1. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    A good way to save money in books is by going to the Library and also shopping at second hand book stores and charity shops. Also swapping with friends is a good way to read new material and have someone to discuss it with. I don't spend vey much on books at all with this method.

2. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I use online libraries to save money. I only buy books if they're not available to borrow. I only buy ebooks too, so they cost less than physical books.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I spend $0 on books.

I read mostly for pleasure. There are thousands of sites where one can legally read or download ebooks legally. I get all my books from these sites. If you're looking for old books you could find get them free on sites such as manybooks.net, projectguternberg, etc.

4. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't spend any money on books for myself either because I get them online for free. Having this said I spend some money on books for my parents because every single birthday or Christmas I get them books because they are addicted in reading and it's a relatively affordable gift for my pocket... :)

5. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    Even though my house looks like a library because of all the books I have, I don't actually spend all that much money on them. I get them as presents, pick them up at second had shops or wait until they are in the bargain buckets at the store. My mum and I also swap books when we are done. We do the same with magazines.

6. Steve

SteveMember

Threads:
    I spend around 20 euros (18 USD) per month in a couple of books. I really like to read and i want to get the opportunity to have as much choices as i can without searching for low cost books too much. I have a favorite bookstore near my house so i go there often and look at some of the new publications.

7. maxparker0

maxparker0Member

Threads:
    I do not spend much on books. Whenever I want to read a book, I either read it online or go to a nearby library. Anyways there isn't much time to read and mostly I get to read whenever I'm in buses or trains, that's the only time when I'm free

8. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    This, well the latter. I would say 0-20$, things are expensive enough as it is and if I really want to read something I'll just go download it. Legally or otherwise.

9. HeinrichM

HeinrichMNew Member

Threads:
    I spend around $20 monthly on books. My book collection is quite substantial and I enjoy reading. My books are bought at second hand shops and I also exchange books with friends and family. The only time that I will buy a new book is when it is written by one of my favorite authors and i do not want to wait a couple of months before reading it.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really have no time to read books anymore, but the last time I bought a book was last 2013, it cost $18. I only bought it because I can't find an e-book version of that book. Nowadays, I prefer e-books because they're free and doesn't hog space in your room. They're also very convenient to take with you too.

11. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to spend a fourth of my allowance for buying books, but not anymore. My reading medium has changed now with all the gadgets coming through. I use ebooks now to read, either through a computer or tablet like the iPad. Ebooks are not costly. If they are not cheap, they are free.

12. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Oh man. E-reader spending got dangerous for me. One month, I had $65 spent on e-books. I get into these modes of where I do nothing but read and spending sometimes gets out of hand.

It is easy to keep spending cheap though with the right deals. Plenty of inexpensive or free books offered through Amazon reader

13. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    Not much these days.

I generally use audiobooks. But when there is a book that i need that is not on audiobook yet. I go to the library. Why would i buy a book, when i can rent it for free? Even if i want to read the book again in the future. I could just go back to library, and rent it again. There is literally no reason to buy books.

This is something that very few people. utilize.

14. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    Even though I read every day, I hardly ever spend money on books at the moment. The main reason is that my financial situation is dire. I probably have in the region of 1,000 books at my house and if I haven't read a book for a while I read it again. I used to spend a lot on books, hence the number of them I have now. The last time I bought a book was two weeks ago at the supermarket. I bought two books for £6 (around $10).

15. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely shop at second hand stores or go to the library. This is because I do not actually read hard copy books. I read them on my tablet. I spend a lot of money on books and I really do not mind.

16. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly haven't been to the library in about 10 years lol, not because I'm not interested, but because I have no time and I'm always on the internet. But when I buy books at a bookstore I make sure that I don't spend more than $15 (I usually buy books when the store is offering some sort of promotion). But we can indeed save a lot by going to the library and getting books from there. :)