Public swimming pools

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Gelsemium • Mar 26, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you have public swimming pools where you live? We have quite a few new public swimming pools and they are amazing, especially for the kids, that can learn how to swim in the best facilities at the lowest prices on the market. I think this is public service, well done in this concern.

2. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    It's funny, I have a swimming pool in my backyard but we also have a public swimming pool. I find myself at the public swimming pool more than I find myself at my own! I like going to public pools because you can easily connect with other people and make some new friends. Plus whenever I take my nephew he seems to have a blast playing with the other kids.

3. starfox64

starfox64Active Member

Threads:
    We've got a large public swimming pool just right down the street. For a season pass, it is like $90 per person which really isn't that bad. It's quite a large pool with a diving board and they also have two pretty large slides. I wish more neighborhoods had them, it is really a neat idea and a great way for neighborhoods to get to know each other while escaping the summer heat.

4. Gelsemium

Threads:
    $90 per year it's really cheap starfox, mine here is cheap, but not even close, it's around $20 per month, considering that private pools is near the triple that value is pretty cool. Also, private pools are not as good as that one as the infra-structure is really great, built in an open space and not in some dark basement as I've seen a few.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I live in a very hot country and a lot of people here have a swimming pool in their backyard. Most towns have at least two pools, and there is always enough room for one to cool down during the hottest months. I really like salt water pools as the chemicals that are commonly used in public pools irritate my skin. But there is a growing trend now where pools have 80% salt and 20% chlorine.

6. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    The only objection I have to the public swimming pools in my area are the hours and the number of people who use them. I agree that around here they are definitely affordable, but it often isn't worth the sheer chaos of how many kids are there at any given time in the summer. Plus, most pools (private and public) around here do not open before 11am.

I have little kids. Our best hours are from 9am to noon. This is why I've not paid for a pool membership yet.

Luckily, I have always had a friend with access to a free pool - either neighborhood pools, apartment pools, or backyard pools. With a little work and creativity, it has been something I've found every summer and never paid for.

We're actually about to move to a neighborhood with a pool, so now it won't be an issue at all... and it is open all the time, just requires a gate code. I couldn't be more thrilled.

7. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Dora M, we don't have salty swimming pools where I live! Why do you have them in your country?

Claire, I know what you mean, in the pool my kids attend they accept up to 12 kids per class. Yes, insane. Luckily usually there are no more than 5-6 kids, what I consider to be an ok number.

8. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    Many people here have pools in their backyard too. I wouldn't ever use a public pool because they get too crowded besides the ones you can pay for in nicer communities. I can see those kind as a good way to meet people and have fun. But I still prefer the privacy of private pools more.

9. Gelsemium

Threads:
    The thing is mistymi, in a private pool typically kids don't learn how to swim right? Usually, at least in my country, they do it in the public or private swimming polls and not at home. Also, not many people has a private swimming pool, just rich people.

10. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I do not use public swimming pools because i think they are disgusting. It is like a giant bathtub filled with people you do not know. That is very nasty to me. That water has been in every crevice of every body in that pools body.

That thought of that makes me cringe. I do not know how people do it. Maybe other people do not think the way i do. Either way public swimming pools are nasty.

11. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Where do you live Eagle? Public swimming pools are very clean in my country, sometimes they close them when a kid gets distracted, they don't joke around. There are regular inspections and the quality of the water is measured daily, no worries in what concerns to hygiene.

12. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I totally understand this idea. While ours APPEAR very clean, it's because they dump so many chemicals into the water to keep it that way. That's more concerning for me than anything.

13. Gelsemium

Threads:
    OK, so you mean that the chemicals are worse than what people might leave there? I can't argue against that, but at the same time if it wasn't safe kids would not be there, my kids never got sick while going to the pool.

14. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    I understand your concern about chemicals.

However i thought the only chemical they use in public swimming pools is chlorine? I also heard a rumor about a chemical they put in the pool that turns urine blue. Lol Can anyone confirm id that is true, or not? That would pretty embarrassing.

But i guess you would deserve it, for being nasty enough to pee in a pool full of people.

15. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I agree, chemicals are a valid concern.

But the fact that i am basically swimming in dirty bath water is far more alarming to me. We all have are own personal concerns, so i will not argue which i worse. I am just sating my opinion. I wonder why no one ever looks at public swimming pool the way that i do/ It seems like that would be the first thing that would come to mind when getting in a public swimming pool.

16. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I don't know if that can be considered a phobia or not, the fact is I go with my kids to swimming pools and nothing too bad happened to them. I do know that my kid swallows some water and that his belly becomes bloated, so that water is naturally not a good thing...

17. pipps

pippsActive Member

Threads:
    I've got two public swimming pools near me. However, I can't remember the last time I went there as I'm not the best swimming. I much prefer swimming in the ocean in the caribbean. ahhhh :')

18. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Come on, that is to make us envy? I'd love to swim in the Caribbean too, I imagine the water are really still and good for swimming. I am not the best swimmer either, that is why my kids are learning, to become better swimmers than me.

19. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    I guess we have a public pool? You have to pay to get in. Does that mean it isn't public? I'm not sure :s

20. Gelsemium

Threads:
    LOL Annabell, you seem not to be certain of many things, but even in public pools you pay to get in. The thing is the entrance fee you pay is reduced because it's com-participated, if you go to a private pool it would be a lot more expensive.