What kind of pet do you prefer and why?

Discussion in Pets started by katharinemae • Mar 27, 2014.

1. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    I love animals and I have had pets since I was little. I believe that pets really teach us about responsibility, compassion, friendship and a lot more. My family have pet dogs and they are really loyal and are great companions.
    I want to introduce pets to my kids as early as possible but I'm not yet sure what pet to give them. They are 5 and 3 yrs old. What pets do you prefer?

2. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I still kept my fish pets at home. In fact they are the reason why I can't go away from our house for more than 3 days because I'll miss them and no one else will feed them incase I'm away. My brothers don't care about them lol.

Fishes seem to make me feel relax especially watching them swim and fish for the place they consider home when any of them invades each aquarium corners. :D

3. khillis

khillisMember

Threads:
    Most definitely dogs. I have had dogs my whole life. I currently have a pug and he's just amazing. They truly care about you, he's part of the family.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer cats among all the pets that we have had here at home, since they are low maintenance and they're quite cuddly and quiet and behaved most of the time. I also would like to try taking care of rabbits, but since I have an indoor cat, I can't buy one.

5. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to have cats as pets. They are easy to toilet train and require low maintenance particularly on grooming. Because cats are independent, they don't ask much except when they're really hungry. Due to their small size, they are easy to cuddle and sleep with. With cats there is not much emotional investment because of their independent attitude. I used to love dogs, but I tend to be too attached to pets that when they die, I get easily depressed. Such was my experience with my pet dogs in the past. With cats, the sadness is not as much.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hi katharinemae, I think guinea pigs and rabbits make wonderful pets, especially for small children like yours. Your children will learn quickly how to handle the animals gently and have lots of fun feeding and playing with them.
    When I was little, my aunt gave me a Muscovy duck for my birthday. I will never forget that day when she placed that little golden fluff ball into my hands. It grew up into a beautiful drake that followed me around everywhere. We were inseparable for nearly 8 years.

7. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love plenty of animals but dogs are definitely my favorite. It is easy to get attached but the time you get to spend with them is well worth it. You can do a lot of things with them. It gives me an excuse to walk everyday too which is something you should do.

8. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    Cats are defiantly my preferred pet. They're pretty self sufficient and low maintenance. They're also very good companion pets, and they're easy to take care of.

9. BlacKnight1090

BlacKnight1090Member

Threads:
    9/10 out of ten I'll say dogs. My first pet was a dog named Max (original, huh?). I spent the majority of my childhood around dogs so I just naturally gravitate towards them. I currently don't own a dog, but I feel like I do. My best friend has a lab/greyhound mix and she loves me. I love her a lot too. Ha. I told my best friend that I'm taking her dog away and she threatens me each time I say that. -_-

10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've always liked dogs. Unlike most other pets, a dog can be both a friend and a bodyguard. You can go out and forget to lock you door but with a dog in your house any unwelcome guest would get an unpleasant surprise.

By the way I used to like cats but when I got myself one that was rather unfriendly [and scratched anyone who got close to it], I had to get rid of it and from then on, I always prefer dogs.

11. Loyal

LoyalBanned

Threads:
    I love dogs because they are so loyal. That's a part of the reason why my screen name is that. The only thing I hate is that I can't take long vacations without having someone dog sit for me. Sometimes you don't want to put a burden on others to watch after your responsibilities.

12. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah that's true or you have to pay a good amount for sitting services. If you get someone new, you may worry that something will happen to them in the person's care.

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We've had cats, fishes, and dogs over the years.

Personally I would go with dogs, as long as there will always be someone at home to keep an eye on them and they aren't locked up in a cage all day by themselves while everyone goes to work. They are much more personable and bond with their owners. Cats are much more aloof and tend to go off and do their own thing whenever they feel like it. I would not recommend going with fish, mainly because I find it to be pretty inhumane to contain them in such a small tank their whole lives. I hate seeing a large old goldfish swimming in a small bowl.

Cats may be a better option if they might need to be left alone more often.

Something else to keep in mind is that if you get a cat or a dog now, by the time they are ready to head off to college, the pet will likely have passed by then. Not to sound morbid, but I remember when we got one of our dogs about a year before I was going to college, and it was hard not being able to see her for such a long time.

14. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well I would say I prefer dogs, as I own one! But I also love cats and would love to adopt one. Dogs are different from cats in personality, care and everything, but I like them almost just as much as dogs!

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've never had one of my own but back when I was younger, we used to have lots of cats and dogs at home, so I'm very used to living with animals. I'm just now hesitant because I only ever wanted to play with them but still wanted to avoid all the responsibilities like feeding and picking up after them as well as taking them to the vet. If I had to pick, though, I'd just choose a cat because I think they are easier to deal with and they aren't as noisy as dogs. I kind of dislike how dogs bark a lot when visitors arrive, and they sometimes even bother me as a guest in houses that have dogs when they force themselves near me and leave their fur all over my clothes.

16. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    I'm an animal person and had both cats and dogs. Hubby has also had horses. We both have had fish. Right now we have only dogs, because the weenie girl (the dachshund) won't allow cats to be around.

17. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    Siamese kittens/cats are what my brither, sister and I were raised up with. These cats are so smart and could out do a dog if trained right. These cats are very protective over there owners. They have the typical cat'atude so nothing new in that area.

If only my husband and son didn't have car allergies. We'd have us a few Siamese running here. They trully are one of the smartest animals I know

18. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer cats, they are easy to maintain, friendly, clean and you don't have to worry about cats attacking people. They generally like me better anyway. Cats only require feeding, fleaing and worming. Dogs require a lot more maintenance.

19. Abqu

AbquNew Member

Threads:
    Not traditional pets, but I love having bird feeders all over my yard. Low maintenance, and high reward. I'm not in a place where I can have a pet because of my schedules, but having backyard birds more than makes up for it in my opinion.

20. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a dog person through and through. Ever since i was a kid, my family has a dog who was basically part of our family, i guess that's why there's no other pet i love more then dogs. Of course, currently i do have a dog. He's the cutest pug ever and a really good dog. I've always want to have a husky too because they look really pretty. Maybe one of these days I'll finally get one. :p