Self-help books

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by mistymi • Mar 27, 2014.

1. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I started reading an ebook about procrastination yesterday called, Overcoming Procrastination (Ellis), because it was free at an online library site. It has been very helpful so far and I'm considering spending money on other books. Reading this kind of material is one of the best things I could do for myself. Other books I'm looking at deal with more specific problems and aren't the typical guide to happiness ones. Anyway, have you read any good self-help books?

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I really enjoy self-help books on all kinds of subjects. I like the fact that a person actually sat down and recorded exactly how they managed to overcome a certain problem.
    I have a lot of questions in life and am curious about everything. But often I wouldn't know who to ask about specific things that interest me, so I usually do a quick google search first and then see what there is on offer in terms of books that will shed some light onto my ruminations. :)

3. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I'm currently reading a book called 'Meditations' by Marcus Aurelius, which is actually a book Marcus wrote for himself alone. It served as a guide for him to live life the best way he can. He wrote advice to himself, his beliefs, and his feelings on certain issues.

The book served as a guide for him to be a better person. He wasn't like other emperors who abused their position. He lived as simply as he can, and he was a great ruler.

4. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    I love reading self-help books, I get to learn a lot of things about life from other people's perspective.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I have read some self-help ebooks, and they're mostly about personal development or love, lol but I never read the whole ebook, just some chapters because I don't have much time to read. The majority of my ebook collection is composed of new age stuff and other esoteric subjects, but I do have a couple of self-help ebooks.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've read a number of self-help books but didn't benefit much because either my attitude was negative or the books I read were written by amateurs who knew little about the subjects they wrote about. However one thing I have to admit is that self-help books can be inspiring but relying on them for information that could help you get out of a bad situation or give up a bad habit — I wouldn't count on them much.

7. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I do read self help books. I honestly think it does help a person gain some helpful insights and ideas. In my opinion, self help books is just a guide on how to be the best person you can be and it's up to the person if he applies what he read or not. Self help books is really a great thing to have and read. :)

8. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    I am a veracious reader of self-help books. I personally think it is one of the best ways to grow as a person. I enjoy books on living a simple life, like minimalism. But I usually try to keep my reading variety up with both non-fiction, and fiction books.

9. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't usually buy self-help books. They look for me almost a waste of money. But that doesn't mean that I find them uninteresting. If one would give me a self-help book, I'm going to give it a time to read, and not just to stash it somewhere.

10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I am actually not a fan of self-help books because I am way more interested in fiction. But I have heard from my professor before that the book "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne is a great one. Probably you should check it out and give it a try.

11. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a great fan of self-help books because most follow the experience of the writer and how they overcame their challenges. Often they are full of theories and lists of things to do and I find either I have tried them or they simply are not practical. As advice they can be a guide, but it's not a solution, but an idea of what you could do.

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was just about to say that, Theo. Self-help books do NOTHING for me whatsoever, I put them in the same group as motivational speakers. I just glaze over at talk of how good they are. Like you, I believe it's someone's personal account of certain situations; it's not necessarily the right or wrong way of tackling problems. It was just right for them, it doesn't mean it'll work for me. I feel most times they are just teaching you to suck eggs, too. The bottom line? They're just downright BORING to me.

The only exception to the rule for me is "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne. I enjoyed it and will read it again. I'll actually buy it, but that's where I draw the line.

13. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    I have read a bunch of self help books over the years and I must say most have helped me tremendously. The first one I remember reading was 'The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale." I would also recommend that everyone read Tony Robbins 'Awaken the Giant Within."

14. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've read a few self-help or motivational books but I have yet to completely read one. I have never read an entire book. I just tend to take out just bits and pieces or sections and keep them for introspection or philosophizing purposes. The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren was a nice read. I just went off-tangent and didn't manage to complete the 40 days reflection. I intend to continue where I left off with the book hopefully in the next few months. Leadership and self-development books from Stephen Covey and John Maxwell are also worth the read. If you're fond of reading self-help books, I highly recommend these books.

15. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I am reading a book called "Manifesting", and it gives keys on realizing what your life passion is and how to manifest it. These types of books are inspiring and help generate positive energy and hope.My favorite is As a Man Thinketh. That book continues to give me keys to growth and happiness.