Do you know your country?

Discussion in Travel started by Peninha • Mar 28, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes we think that going on holidays is going abroad when for half the price you can visit beautiful places in your own country that never visited yet. Have you explored your country or you prefer and afford to go abroad?

2. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    I have been to a few states, Hawaii, Idaho, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Colorado, New Mexico and currently living in Texas. However in a month I am going on a road trip from Boise to Minneapolis and I am excited. We will see Wyoming and South Dakota and we will spend a day at Mount Rushmore. Then I will get to spend about 2 days in Minneapolis before coming back to Texas. The only place I have been out of the country was Jamaica and it was really interesting seeing how completely different they live and do things over there.

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You are right about that. I know very little of my country. It's a large country and I only know the south and south-east of it. The whole north area I've never even been to! There is so much I still need to explore, and yet my true wish is to go abroad. I don't know what it is, but I feel the need to go to different countries way more than to see what I don't know about my own! It could be that I want to meet people from different countries, see different cultures, different languages - different realities! I really look forward to that when travelling, and I think that is why I choose to go abroad instead of travelling national.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most people hardly know their countries. I'm not talking about common places, maybe a city or two in another State, etc. That can qualify as having traveled a little but not much. Do people travel abroad because they believe it's much better there than places one can visit at home.

Traveling within your country can be both fulfilling [because you get to know your country better] and friendly to your wallet because you'd not have to pay for air tickets, expensive hotels, etc.

I plan on visiting the Appalachian Mountains later in the year;)

#4Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  5. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So you've been in Hawaii, I'd love to visit Hawaii, it seems like a mythical place to me. How was it, have you enjoyed it?

OK, what country are you from isabbbela? With big countries is hard to know it all, but at the same time is also cheaper to know new places. ;)

6. Ashlee

AshleeActive Member

Threads:
    Peninha! I can afford to go abroad and I have visited many famous countries and cities like China, Japan, Singapore, Thailand, India, Turkey, Indonesia, Canada, England and Srilanka but you know what I first preferred to explore my own country. I have immense knowledge about my region and I think it is important for all. Everyone should visit it own country first then move towards the next.

7. Hamz10

Hamz10Member

Threads:
    In Britain there are many places I haven't been like the Stonehenge or the isles of Scotland. There are some amazing places here but I've never had the time to experience them!

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I can do both, then why not? I have already explored my country's depths and breadths (though saying all of it would be an overstatement) so I'm confident enough to declare it's time to upgrade my travel itinerary. As much as I love my own country, I think getting a feel of and immersing in the culture of other countries will widen my horizons and make me see things in a different way.

9. Ashlee

AshleeActive Member

Threads:
    Hamz10! The Stonehenge is one of my favorite attractions of England. It is located in Wiltshire. It is a unique and fabulous historical monument of this region. I visited it last year. It is the best and the perfect place for all history lovers. You must go there. I am sure you will like it.

10. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    No, I don't know countries beyond my nation, and the little bit of Mexico I visited. Country, imply a foreign nation or state that is not part of the one you reside in. Also, I don't claim any country, because that would be trespassing and an attempt to occupy it.

11. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    I would like to travel the world and find landmarks around the world. I really would like be independent and travel alone while I am still single.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've been fortunate enough to have gotten to travel to many places both inside my own country and outside, but admittedly I still have some places in my own country that I've always wanted to visit but never had the chance to. Although I'm fairly pleased that I have gotten to see as much as I have in the short amount of time I spent traveling. I still plan on visiting these places and I sure do make it a priority before going overseas again.

13. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    A very good question. No, I don't really know my country. For one reason or another I preferred visiting other countries in my holidays instead of my own. I'd say I'm more interested in the culture of other countries instead of locations. If I were to visit unknown places near me I would meet the same culture, but if I'm visiting places far away (another continent for example) I meet another culture that expands my horizons. But yeah, maybe I should start looking more in my own 'back yard'.

14. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that many times we spend a considerable sum of money on our holidays, going abroad and such, but eventually just a few miles away we have the equivalent of that, just much cheaper. Nothing like looking near where we live before making such decisions.

15. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    In my own personal opinion, it is best to travel the whole world and the perfect timing to do that is while we are still young and able. Travelling locally would best done during our retirement as it is closer to home and travelling with a companion would be easy and cheap.

16. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    I have not traveled much at all. I was able to go to the US because of an exchange program, but a lot of place in my own country waits to be visited. I think it is like this most of the time. A lot of people travel to other countries first before the tourist locations in their own country. Maybe because they think that it is nearer to them that they can visit it anytime?

Anyway, I might schedule some visits to local tourist locations in the near future. I am still saving money though. Once I am financially better, I can do more travelling.

17. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I have always been very interested in travelling and always love to explore the nature. I think it is better to travel in your own country rather than travelling other places. I have visited quite a few places in my country but I still have a lot to travel and look forward to in my own country. I enjoy seeing different places in my country.

18. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been saving in the last years to go abroad and meanwhile I've been exploring my country, so I know it quite well. Sadly I had a car accident and all my savings are going there now, so I guess I'll keep exploring my country in the next years as well lol.