Windows XP end of support

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Peninha • Mar 28, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yesterday I was working on my old laptop that runs Windows XP and I received the notification that support would end at April 8th 2014. I know(?) that Microsoft guys need to advance after 12 years, but at the same time I feel I'm being forced to change and to spend more money on a new Microsoft operating system. How do you guys see this?

2. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    This news has been around for a while now am sure you must have read about it some time in last year. The good thing is that you will be able to update it even using the normal Windows update files. With that even people still using XP their computers will be safe.

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know that it's old news, but receiving the update on the computer saying 10 days are missing has an emotional meaning lol. I was not aware of that though, I can upgrade it to windows 7 for free for example? Are you sure about that? Because the updates for XP are ending on the 8th April.

4. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    Windows Xp was actually one of the best and most OS that windows ever made. But with 7 and 8 out now, it is safe to say that there has been a lot of improvement and it is for the better. I think that also a lot of computers are more functional and can do a lot more for their money.

5. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends also on the use you give to the computer lovemwaf, at home I use my browser basically, so I could not care less if I am running XP, 7 or 8 as long as the computer is fast because the browser is equal. I'm sure newer machines are better, but they are really expensive too.

6. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    I love Windows XP too.

However Microsoft is right. It is time to move on. The Windows XP Operating system is 3 generations old. I believe Microsoft is correct in ending support for it. That way they will have more resources to improve their newer operating systems.

I disagree with your assertion that you are forced to buy a new operating system. You can keep Windows XP as long as you want. Although there will be extremely severe privacy concerns. Hacker will flock to Windows XP in the near future because of it's lack of support.

You are not forced to buy a new operating system. You can keep Windows XP. However. You will be at risk. You have to make the decision best for you. I would suggest you buy a new OS.

7. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Three generations old? You're counting with Vista right? LOL, that one didn't count!

You make a funny point, I can keep it as long as I want "Although there will be extremely severe privacy concerns", come on... :) Even Microsoft Security Essentials is now saying that the computer is no longer safe, so they are really motivating me to change.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm sad about XP ending too, even though I knew about it since last year. My computer is too old and doesn't have the specs for Windows 7, so I was forced to buy a refurbished Windows 7 computer.
    I sell on eBay so I can't risk having someone hack into my ebay, Paypal or online banking accounts. If anyone is scrambling to get a replacement PC due to the safety issues from XP, Walmart.com has some refurbished Windows 7 Dell Optiplex PC's for $239. They're formerly office computers that were leased by companies, but who cares, I can't afford a new PC right now and don't want to be vulnerable to hackers.

9. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You bought a laptop or a desktop ACSAPA?

To be honest I question if the XP will have security issues or not, I always doubt what those updates are really for, but now it will be put to the test, on the 8th XP support ends officially and I will see if there is any difference in the performance of my computer or not.

10. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Windows XP is 13 years old now, and for an operating system that lasted more than 10 years in service, its pretty amazing. You don't see softwares that last that long and is still completely useful. But yeah, its too old now and I guess Microsoft decided to let go since the prolonged support for an OS that old might cost them more and besides, developers aren't really that hot for XP anymore so I guess its a welcome goodbye.

11. Magicman94

Magicman94Member

Threads:
    The first widespread attacks on XP probably won't happen for at least a week, it's not like XP will be attacked the second support ends. Hackers will reverse engineer the next few updates to vista, 7, 8, and 8.1 and look for any vulnerabilities in XP and exploit them from there.

12. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pretty much like you say Magicman94, the support ended 2 days ago and I have all sort of red flags on my computer, are you joking me? This is pure spam on my computer, it's as safe as it was last week, just those Microsoft guys want to make me feel insecure, I don't think it's fair from them.

13. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well it came at the right time because I have a Windows 8 desktop that I got late last year. I know you said it's not about the OS for you but I always loved XP and I hated 7 so I was worried I wouldn't be able to adjust. Also if my old one hadn't broken down I would probably still have the Windows XP and my laptop is XP. I probably should buy a new laptop eventually because it's very obsolete but I can't be bothered right now. It does seem like you have to update a lot of technology these days so it's crazy how Microsoft is insisting you do that too.

14. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    Why doesn't vista count?

Yes. You ca keep Windows XP for as long as you want. That should be obvious. Nobody is forcing you change your operating system. You just have to accept the fact that it is not safe anymore.

Support has ended. It is no longer apart of he product. If you feel you need to upgrade because of that. That is your decision. No one is forcing your hand.

15. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That was sort of a joke, Vista doesn't count because it was probably the worse operating system ever, so it's better to pretend it never existed.

Sure AB91000, I am not being forced, but the constant warnings that it's not safe anymore look a little like spam to me and I could live well without that. Microsoft is treating me like if I was dumb with that spam and I find that incorrect from them.

16. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    Windows ME was worse, buddy. A lot worse, in my opinion. Not to disagree with you that Vista was butts, both it and ME need to be cleansed from my memory.

17. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Windows ME was very stable for me. I did a clean install. I didn't install it as an upgrade. I had read that it was unstable as an upgrade only.

Windows XP is one of the most stable Windows program outside of Windows 98SE. It's the reason why I have resistant upgrading my two Window XP laptops.

18. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would definitely say so. There is only one problem with XP. It is a pain in the butt if you want to root your mobile devices. I was rooting my tablet and had to do it on the 7 because it was just too complicated with old XP.

19. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    My system that had it was pre-installed or came with a disc, I don't remember, its been a long time. It just wasn't a pleasant experience but I'm not going to judge an OS solely based on my own experiences.

20. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It sounds like a clean install. This OS has a bad reputation. I seem to be the only person I know that didn't have problem with Windows ME.