Reviewing the slap chop

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by ttchoubs • Apr 1, 2014.

1. ttchoubs

ttchoubsNew Member

Threads:
    So I recently purchased a slap chop and have tried it out numerous times. Here's my thoughts:

First off, I loved the idea. I loved that it said you could just throw your assorted food items that need to be chopped in all at once and chop them all together.

Here's what really matters: does it work?
    In short, yes. I had thoughts that this would be garbage but it actually preformed as expected. I started by putting carrots, garlic, and onions in and started slapping the chopper. While it does require a little effort, it cuts them very well. If you want it finer, you keep slapping.

If you can find this product for cheap, I recommend picking one up to try it out.

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    How does this work with tomatoes? I've seen it chopping firmer stuff like onions and celery, but I don't recall seeing anyone chopping tomatoes with it. I'm curious if the blades are sharp enough to dice them, or if it just smashes them all.

Personally I feel like I can just dice stuff faster with a sharp knife and a cutting board. From what I've seen so far, you still have to partially chop the food to prep it to use with the Slap Chop. By the time I finish doing that then slap chopping the larger pieces one at a time, I could have just gone through the veggies with my knife and finished them off.

Also, when you are done, it seems like it would be more of a hassle to clean all the parts of the Slap Chop instead of just the knife and cutting board.

3. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I still have mine after so many years and it is only good for onions. We barely use it as it is quite a hassle to clean. We only take it out when there is a huge task of cutting up lots of onions, say if we're cooking chili con carne. It's totally useless for chopping up tomatoes since it is not able to cut up the skin. They come out as if it were stepped on or something. The blades are still quite sharp and we still keep for the next big task.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have one too and I agree that it's only useful for onions and garlic. It makes a mess out of tomatoes and the ads definitely exaggerate about all the different things that you can chop with it.
    I usually end up using a sharp knife because I hate cleaning the Slap Chop. It's not really the labor saving device that the ads would have you think it is, but I do find the commercials entertaining.

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to own one. It was a decent product, but I would never have purchased it on my own. It's not worth the price tag, although I got it as a gift, so I was happy enough about it because of that. It'll chop firm vegetables and even fruits very well, but it kind of disappointed on less firm items.

6. teamrose

teamroseMember

Threads:
    I bought one but hated it. It left red marks on my hands from slapping so hard. It does a terrible job on tomatoes even very hard ones (forget about ripe tomatoes). Clean up is just a pain, food sticks to the sides.