Feel Cheated by "how i met your mother" Series-Finale Last Night? (possible SPOILERS)

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by mythman • Apr 1, 2014.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    The series-finale was a 'good ending' (the kind that shows you that things don't really 'end,' they just 'move on' ... like the daytime: it doesn't really 'end,' it just 'goes westward').

But ... well, it should've been called how i became friends with aunt robin, who'll be my rebound-wife when i decide your mother's been dead long-enough

But to explain why I feel 'cheated' by how i met your mother, I'll have to divulge one-or-two more SPOILERS: Robin started to get too successful to be there as often as Barney would like, so--after 3 years of barely staying together in their marriage--Barney & Robin divorced. After a few more years (after Ted & mother-whose-name-is-Tracy-McConnell have had a kid or two and are about to get married), Barney attempts "a perfect month" (different girl every night of a month) but ends up getting the last girl pregnant. When 'the whole gang except Robin' is meeting-up for Ted's wedding, Robyn shows up and they all become friends again.

Where I'm cheated is: Whatever happened to Barney? Did he marry Month-Girl #31 (or she coulda been #30 or #28 or #29)? Or did he & Robyn get back together (briefly, because we know Robyn ended up a cat-lady (but with dogs) in the apartment she was living in when old Ted brought her the blue French horn again at the end)?

And was Bob Saget the guy that played old Ted, or was that Josh Radnor with grey tips? Was it EVER Bob Saget playing 'old Ted,' or was Josh Radnor just using that as a stage-name to earn two paychecks (which makes it okay that Bob Saget didn't get the end-credit Radnor got :rolleyes: )

What do you think about the whole deal?

2. kalinaprim

kalinaprimNew Member

Threads:
    I feel disappointed from the last episode. The whole season was about the wedding of Robyn and Barney and the result was divorce. And why Ted had to end up with Robyn? He found his soul mate. The whole seasons was about that and in one last episode they make so many changes without explaining how or why they did that.

3. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would have to agree with a tweet that said it takes some serious talent to ruin a 9 year quality show in just 60 minutes. Barney and Robin were perfect together then all of a sudden they have severe issues. Why would it matter to Barney if Robin was so successful? It was so out of character for them to break up for the reason that they did. They spend the whole season showing that Barney and Robin get a happily ever after but then break them up. Killing the mother was a similar thing. She was perfect for Ted then they decide we have to make it dark so it'll be more realistic. I understand that there's not always a happy ending but it made the mood of the whole episode sad and it's not a drama. As a comedy, it was real enough. Did they really have to have her die to make it a less fairytale ending?

4. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I think this was a case of over thinking.

They wanted to make it a great finale so bad that they ruined it. They tried to think outside of the box, and do something hat no one else expected, and they failed miserably. I have never seen a finale fail this bad.

It's hard to imagine what they were thinking they had to know that this would disappoint people.

5. Nickchick

Threads:
    Yeah I really don't know what they were thinking but if you look at the IMDB board you'll see that a lot of people expected this. I think it was because they left enough signs in the season. We were just all hoping that it wasn't going to happen. I'm sure they knew that it would disappoint people. They just didn't care apparently but they had to have known that it would put people off enough that a lot of people won't watch the spin-off.

6. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Well, her success took her all over the world. And I think Barney thought his marriage meant 'settling for one girl'; and it DID, but--when he COULD have used that 'internationality' as a way of "having another girl every night"--being faithful to Robin was too disappointing for him to endure :(

Maybe that was part of their strategy. I mean, the players have Real Life lives- and/or bigger shows-to get back to; they don't want to be tied to their roles in that one show (like Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker) :p

7. Nickchick

Threads:
    Nah that's not possible. The spin-off has a different cast. I don't think any of the original actors are on it.

8. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    I think it sucked too!

Don't they know that people love happy endings? What did they expect to gain from this/ I do not get it. 'How I Met Your Mother" was a Sitcom. Not a Steven Spielberg film. It did not need such a complicated ending.

They should have given the fans what they wanted. Ending the series this way just ruined the whole thing. i am going to hate watching the reruns knowing what i know now.

9. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't heard about the actually-planned spin-off (unless you're talking about 'another show of "that type,"' which there are dozens of :p ) Can you give us a link that tells us more?

10. malia

maliaMember

Threads:
    Wow I haven't seen it ill probably watch on YouTube later but yeah that seemed like it sucked. what was the point of him and robin getting together they are certainly no rose and Rachel and I feel like they played with the audiences emotions on that one!

11. Nickchick

Threads:
    It was going to be called How I Met Your Dad. You probably haven't heard about it because it was recently axed and you can bet that's because of the horrible ending of How I Met Your Mother. Although this article says it has to do with pilot:

It's such a load of bull. Of course they're not going to admit that it has to do with the ending of How I Met Your Mother because that would mean they're admitting their mistake.

12. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    (I feel like 'defending the ending' now :p ) Maybe it's an ending for us disillusioned people out here---the ones who have woken up from the 'Prince/Princess Charming Comes to Rescue Cinder Ella/Ello from Lifelong-Loneliness'-fairy tale ... a fairy-tale MOST OF US have sustained in the form of 'work hard (at school/employment etc.), & experience "romance" in your spare time.'

'Romance-tales' recount how lovers devoted their entire lives to the fleeting moments of togetherness they share (even if they're said to be together "ever after," 'ever after' only lasts for a brief speck of our souls' eternity). how i met your mother was NOT a romance; it was more like a 'grandparents' storytime' story (They actually shoulda called it "how i met your grandma"), because it tells us that "life goes on, and that's okay with us if we have friends (with benefits ;) )

Yeah, I know it didn't have a 'storybook'-ending (like I bet a lot of us wanted); but the show was 'real' enough that a storybook-ending would've made real-life too depressing to continue---I myself might've thought to myself "Ted was a screw-up, and HE got the good life; I've had to FIGHT IMPOSSIBLE ODDS ... where's MY storybook-ending!??" and ended it right there!

I just wanted to say 'thanks NickChick.' Just to mention you again, because ... don't you hate it when you add your two-cents, & the OP just responds to the person who responded before you as if you didn't say anything?

Almost as bad as when they respond to you by talking about a topic you didn't even mention ... ;) ... I haven't rehd the article yet, but I can bet it WAS because of response to the pilot. See, network-execs don't care about 'flow of story'-etc. except as it affects audience-volume. So the terrible ending MIGHT'VE been part of the reason folks stayed away from himyd (along with the high quality of the options that night, the lack of 'stars with celebrity-pull,' producers' unwillingness to invest, etc.), but the primary deciding-factor was 'ratings on premiere night.'

13. Nickchick

Threads:
    But it had enough realism throughout the story for a comedy. We're not watching a drama. Boy Meets World was one example of doing it right. The finale was bittersweet. Everyone was saying goodbye without anyone having to die.

Also when you think it if you exclude the mother dying, it was a storybook ending. Ted was obsessed with Robin before he met the mother and he got her in the end. You see this all the time in Disney movies seems like (Little Mermaid, Cinderella, Tangled). Plus they are an unrealistic couple.

Yeah that's what I meant. They saw that most everyone hated the ending so it could easily be defined as terrible.

14. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannonMember

Threads:
    Honestly, I did not have any issues with the season finale of How I Met Your Mother. In a weird way, I liked how things turned out. I never really liked Ted and Robin together, but it still made for a wonderful surprise with the way things turned out. Everyone suggested that I didn't watch the last ten minutes of the episode, but I rather enjoyed it. =)

15. Nickchick

Threads:
    If you didn't like Ted and Robin together then what could you like about the ending?

16. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannonMember

Threads:
    I enjoy unexpected endings. I didn't hate them together, didn't love them together- I suppose I just didn't care either way.

17. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know that he "got" her; probably more like they became "friends with benefits" (i.e. they were the best of friends, and--wanting to stop being alone--they took advantage of their benefits).

18. sanders89

sanders89New Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with you!! I feel like I've been cheated by the entire final season, it was such a throw away, and nothing really big or important happened. I feel like that was a good idea for a show, but I think that it should have been canceled like 2 seasons ago, before they just started repeating story lines, and having such a sad ending.