What is your favorite book, and why?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Qualitycontent • Apr 3, 2014.

1. Qualitycontent

QualitycontentMember

Threads:
    My favorite book is "The Shack." It is about a man that gets a letter from God in his mailbox that tells him to meet him at the shack. The man has lost his young daughter years before. This note brings back bad memories to the man. But what happens in the shack changes his life. I think it was a wonderful book and is worth reading. It was very heart-warming and is especially good for a person that has lost a loved one. Just read the book with an open mind and believe anything is possible, and you will enjoy it. I could not put this book down.

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite book is Dune (the series) by Frank Herbert. The book is a great mix of science fiction, politics, religion and gave birth to many iconic images, like the Sand Worm, and mottos like the Bene Gesserit litany against fear. Each time I re read the books I see them in a new light since I understand their complexity in a different way. My only complaint would be that I'm trying to buy them in hardcover and they're so damn expensive!

3. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I've tried to read Dune more than once, but I just cannot seem to get into fantasy.

Ironically, my favorite book is Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. It is sci-fi, which isn't usually my thing, but I just love that book. It is my go-to recommendation for anyone who claims they do not like to read. It is also one I'll grab when I have some time and just want to read something. The story is just good, and to me, one that I could read a hundred times and not ever get sick of.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a lot of favorite books, but my favorite ones would be the ones written by Linda Goodman, they are titled "Sun Signs" and "Love Signs". I actually have a lot of astrology and esoteric material that I just haven't gotten around to reading yet.

5. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    My favroutie book is called A Child Called It By David Pelzer, it documents the extreme abuse that he suffered at the hands of his own mother and how it went on for many years before a teachers noticed something was wrong and he was finally taken away from his mother and placed into foster care. It is the only book that has made me have to pu the book away because I cry everytime I read it. He has since written more books about his journey into adulthood.

6. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    My favorite book set is Harry Potter. Well, I am not a class A reader. And I know that there are a lot more better books out there, and I've read a lot one. But only Harry Potter has impacted me that much. Maybe because when I read it I was still young, during which my imaginations were still being shaped and developed. It influenced me a lot. Until now, I am still living the stories and moral lessons. I am so a Harry Potter loyalist. I also liked the movie.

7. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    ahh, what an impossible question! This is like asking what someone's favorite food or movie is. Just far too many good things out there to really choose.

I'd say the Harry Potter series is what created my love of reading though. Even though it's not most well-written by far, it's the series that I will always love and appreciate because of what it did for my love of reading. I don't see myself as the avid reader I am today without starting that series way back in the day.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm sure no one really has a favorite book. An avid reader keeps reading new books all the time so it's possible your favorite book could be knocked off it's perch once you read one that is better.

Anyway, my favorite book so far is Alice in Wonderland. I like simply because Carroll had a way with words.

9. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    My favorite books are the Harry Potter series. I would definitely NEVER say that they are not well written. I think they are amazingly well written. They are deep and many layered. Every plot point is connected, from the scar in the first book to the last horcrux in the last book. From the very first question Snape asks Harry to the memories he finally gives him in the last book. When you really sit down and think about all the thought and planning that went into those books, its enough to floor you. I grew up with Harry Potter. I read the 7 books over a span of 10 years and was at every opening night of every movie. It might be over but it certainly still lives on in this PotterHead's heart.

10. VTEC 9/12/44

VTEC 9/12/44Member

Threads:
    The Complete Sherlock Holmes, totally.
    I have a really nice copy here at home and I've read it cover to cover at least twice (long book is long). There are some really awesome parts that I read over and over.

11. AugustGreig

AugustGreigMember

Threads:
    My favorite book is a little unusual, as when people answer this question they generally list a novel of some sort, or maybe the Bible. But for me, it is The Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu. Though it is short, it is full of more wisdom than any other text I have ever read. 81 tiny chapters of the way to live your life. I first read it when I was 14, and it changed my life. I must have read it a thousand times. And it seems like every time I read it, I learn something new from it. Every time there is something major going on in my life, I always pick it up, and it always has some helpful little nugget of wisdom to impart.

12. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I guess we're talking about romances only...
    And if so, my favorite book is "Captains of the sands" by Jorge Amado.
    It's a story about a gang of one hundred orphans and abandoned children, and about how they survive on the streets of Bahia, Brazil.
    It's the only romance I've read more than once.

13. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I read the "Shack", very interesting book. The judgment part is the one that got me. You may not think you are judging a person but the book really laid it out there. How can you think another person should be doing this or that when you yourself are not right. I did not finish the book and I have thought about picking it up and starting reading it again as things have changed since I started reading it the first time. I am sure I will learn more by reading it again.

14. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I have a copy of this book (a child called it) in my bookcase for years but haven't read it up to now. Maybe because I anticipate that I'll be feeling sad and I don't want to be. Anyway, my favorite book right now is the Game of Thrones 5-book series (a Song of Fire and Ice). I'm still waiting for the sixth book :confused:

I just love the HBO series of Game of Thrones that's why I bought the book version (all 5!) and I'm really glad I did. :)

#14Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014